Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wild Wisconsin
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Wild Wisconsin on 03/24/2012 23:48:39 MDT Print View

Photos from a 12 mile run of the Peshtigo River in northern Wisconsin. I did run everything in the photos--it was my fastest water to date.

rtu

hk;

kp'

gjk

tykr

ruyo

drtjuy

uykru6l

zsdg

guk;

rhk

dgm

tdhkmh

srgj

ryulu

dthkdytsrth

aerh

dtk

wrtuj

aserthj

srtj

srtu

Edited by T.L. on 03/24/2012 23:50:41 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Impressive on 03/25/2012 00:11:21 MDT Print View

Impressive, and no swimming? Sometime I need to post pictures of my last kayaking trip. Actually more of a swimming trip because we tried flat water kayaks on whitewatr, not smart.

Is it just me or is the water level a bit high? Looks like the river is almost flooding.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Impressive on 03/25/2012 00:19:46 MDT Print View

Thanks, Luke,

no swimming! But almost on that last one. The river is swollen from the spring melt off, but not at flood stage.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo)

Locale: SouthEast
Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 01:31:32 MDT Print View

Nice Travis!

Looks like you had a blast.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 01:43:56 MDT Print View

I did! It took me about 4 hours to run the 12 miles, which included scouting, pee breaks, and slow flat water. I almost got sucked down into a hole by the hydraulics in the last few pictures, but I popped out safely. I had a wetsuit which not only helps a great deal in cool weather and cold water, but would also help during a swim.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 04:33:36 MDT Print View

The Peshtigo! I've canoed a few of WI streams but never there. It's a bit far east for me and then there was Whitewater/Quietwater's description ...."Meaner than a junkyard dog in high water"

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 13:19:46 MDT Print View

All along I thought the term "Wild Wisconsin" referred to the coeds in Madison.

--B.G.--

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 13:26:19 MDT Print View

Nice Travis. Interesting that it is no faster than being on foot, when you factor in inflating, deflating and such. So fun though.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Wild Wisconsin" on 03/25/2012 14:22:24 MDT Print View

Yeeeeehaaaaa! (*hands in the air)

Who knew sitting cross legged on your butt for 4hrs. could be so much fun? Looks like a good time.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Wild Wisconsin on 03/25/2012 16:30:38 MDT Print View

Ken- yeah, when you factor everything in, it really isn't that much faster than hiking. However, it does give your lower body a rest, and it's super fun.

Eugene- that is what pee breaks are for...giving the legs and butt a rest! Actually, you can stretch out your legs in an appropriately sized Alpacka.

I did this run solo, but this weekend the wife will be joining me. She's a trooper.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: IntoCascadia.com
Wisconsin Rafting on 03/25/2012 18:05:36 MDT Print View

Wow looks like quite the river. Congrats on tackling this one. Thanks for posting the pics.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Nice Photos on 03/26/2012 10:16:45 MDT Print View

Nice Photos : ) Looks like you had a great time. I can't wait to try my hand at pack-rafting..

Gregory Topf
(notoriousGRT) - MLife

Locale: PNW / Switzerland
gnarly on 04/10/2012 03:29:10 MDT Print View

gnarly waves and drops...I often portage those when solo...sounds like you were prepared to swim though, and luckily didn't have to.