Forum Index » Chaff » I have a question....in regards to photo's, thru-hikers, and "seasoned" backpackers.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: hmmmm on 03/26/2012 19:50:26 MDT Print View

"She's a wise lady... and beautifully aged...."

Indeed. Thanks, Laurie, for sharing. And for reminding me of another wise lady fondly remembered.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Momento Moire on 03/26/2012 19:53:33 MDT Print View

My co-worker's dog died today.
This dog lived 8 years on a 25 acre ranch. Chased rabbits, dirtbikes, only got run over by a truck once in it's whole life.. and survived that one.
This morning started like any other.
Sunlight on the duck pond and 3 hungry dogs, tails wagging, waiting for breakfast.
Brandy ate her food and lay down for a nap on the porch.
Brandy never woke up from her nap.
Tonight there are only two dogs waiting for supper.
I also recently found out that an old room-mate of mine who loved motocross died while on the track of a sudden heart attack.
He died doing exactly what he loved.
Live this day to the fullest because it might be your last.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Momento Moire on 03/26/2012 21:03:27 MDT Print View

"Live this day to the fullest because it might be your last."

+1

Happy the man
and happy he alone
who can call today his own

He who secure within can say
tomorrow do thy worst
for I have lived today *

* Voice over at the beginning of the movie "Tom Jones"

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Momento Moire on 03/26/2012 21:43:22 MDT Print View

It's More, not Moire the diffraction pattern. But you know I mean no disrespect of the intention which is quite powerfull.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Memento Mori on 03/26/2012 21:59:56 MDT Print View

You are quite right.
It comes from Latin Memento Mori
It means reminder of death.
All that lives must die.
I remembered it from an Art class i took at foothill college.
It is actually interesting that there are these little reminders of death throughout Art in many cultures.
Anyhow, thanks for the compliment John.

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/26/2012 23:22:56 MDT Print View

Hey BPL friends, I rarely post outside of gear swap but felt compelled on this thread. I have worked hard my entire life to raise strong independent children, be a devoted husband, care for my parent’s when they needed me, and dedicate my career to improving society.

I have been a lucky man with similar life experiences as many of you on this thread. My passion since I was a young boy has always been outdoor adventures and my health has allowed me to walk as many trails as most of you.

Recently, I had major surgery (sigmoid colon and descending large intestine removed). It was the first time I have felt old and unhealthy in my life. I am bouncing back quickly and with some luck and hard work will be back on the trail soon.

I would like to thank a few of you on this post for your wisdom, humor, and outdoor trip reports you share on a regular basis at BPL. A big high five goes out to Ken, Ben, Stephen, Kat, Matthew, Roger, Laurie, Paul Sarah, Jim, Joe, David, Tom, and most of all Nick for keeping my mind occupied during my healing.

We do tend to dwell too much on age, being fat, and our own personal biases (I plead guilty) but having my health compromised has made me a stronger and more introspective person. May all of you maintain health and enduring trails.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/26/2012 23:25:30 MDT Print View

A speedy recovery Bill. I'm still hoping to run into you on the trail.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/27/2012 00:04:55 MDT Print View

Yes, a speedy recovery for you, Bill!!

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/27/2012 00:56:18 MDT Print View

Bill -

Wishing you a speedy recovery to full health and many miles of trail ahead. Thanks for sharing your perspective and wisdom, well appreciated here.

Dirk

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/27/2012 06:01:57 MDT Print View

I hope you recover soon so you can get back to the things you love. We'll try and entertain you without getting too goofy : )

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/27/2012 08:13:43 MDT Print View

Bill, I hope everything goes well....ouch that is some bad surgery :-(

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
quality humor on 03/27/2012 09:33:22 MDT Print View

nothing but the poorest quality humor, to lighten the mood with an old joke.

A guy goes to see the proctologist. The patient assume the "position" for the doctor to have a look. The nurse walks in with a waitress tray and an ice cold Bud Light beer bottle.

The patient is worried.

The doctor gets upset, nervous and yells: "Nurse! I said BUTT LIGHT!

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/27/2012 09:34:18 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Best wishes! on 03/27/2012 11:40:31 MDT Print View

Bill, I hope your recovery is swift, and your feet tread many more miles of trails!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Perspectives change when health is compromised on 03/27/2012 11:49:02 MDT Print View

Bill,

Your comments are humbling and just made my day. The best to you on your recovery and may you soon get back to what you enjoy... walking on trails. Dust off some of those LP's and listen to some of that great old music during your down time. Again, best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Bill on 03/27/2012 17:19:10 MDT Print View

May you soon savor that heightened feeling of joy at returning to something you truly love which can only come after peering into the void. Many happy trails to come!

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

Locale: Palmdale, CA
Re: "I have a question....in regards to photo's, thru-hikers, and "seasoned" backpackers." on 04/14/2012 16:05:07 MDT Print View

Eugene, your inspiration is definitely atypical (for the average American), but awesome!!!!!!!!!! And much appreciated!

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

Locale: Palmdale, CA
Bill's surgery on 04/14/2012 16:35:07 MDT Print View

Edited by bagboy on 04/15/2012 01:15:14 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Juvenile 40s on 04/22/2012 03:24:34 MDT Print View

I edit a walking magazine in Australia. A quote from an article in the next issue about a recent club walk:

" These were all off-track walkers who regularly walked in excess of 20 km and scaled ascents of more than 500 metres on a typical walk so I knew I was in for a rough day. Most of these walkers were also aged in their late 60s to mid 70s and were as fit as mallee bulls."
(mallee buls ~ plains buffaloes)

Cheers