Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Inspected by:
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Inspected by: on 03/24/2012 20:24:05 MDT Print View

Where did the factory jobs go? Here's a clue.
Inspected By
Found this in a newly purchased sleeping bag. Not gonna slam a specific manufacturer, because it's a general industry economy trend. Sad.
I wish I could afford the cottage prices. I have to wait for REI Outlet clearance for heavy discounts on rejected gear from 2010.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/24/2012 20:26:40 MDT.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Inspected by: on 03/24/2012 23:33:44 MDT Print View

Oh man. I could go ape s**t with this thread......

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Inspected by: on 03/24/2012 23:51:47 MDT Print View

I get the first part, but what does "No. 15" mean?

Edited by T.L. on 03/24/2012 23:52:20 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Inspected by: on 03/24/2012 23:56:59 MDT Print View

Yes. 15

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Inspected by someone, somewhere. on 03/25/2012 00:04:48 MDT Print View

Last year, I was teaching high school math to sixth graders in Alaska. This year I'm coaching middle-school students in math and they're going to State Finals, and one of them to Nationals next week.

In July, I was teaching Chinese middle-school and high-school students in a "small provincial town" of 400,000 people. They go to high school for 48 weeks a year. They opted to spend half their yearly vacation listening to a gringo (me) talk about science, games, and English. They start school at 6:30 am and go till 10 pm, six days a week.

Show me an American student who spent 93 hours a week for 4 years and didn't get the Ivy education and dream job they wanted and you'll surprise me.

Whine about the Chinese "taking our jobs" and I'll reply that we (as individuals) didn't want those jobs nearly as much.

Can we compete? Absolutely.

Do we compete? Increasingly, no. Our choice.

If you want to earn $1/day, move to Africa.

If you want to earn $10/day move to China.

If you want to earn $100/day and complain about it, stay where you are.

If you want to earn $2000/day and be fat and happy, get your MD, JD, or MBA.

It's late. I'm being blunt. I should go to bed.

Really, my message (and philosphy) is "choices". We have choices. They have choices. We have more choices than they do and always have. That might not always be true. Don't be surprised, be prepared. Being prepared = being skilled and educated.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Sad? on 03/25/2012 01:33:09 MDT Print View

So we buy apparel and bags from China -- but we sell them Boeing aircraft. Would you rather have it the other way around?

America's problem isn't imports. America's problem is our relentless borrowing and consumption. That's the really sad part.

Edited by ben2world on 03/25/2012 01:57:16 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Inspected by: on 03/25/2012 10:00:30 MDT Print View

Leave poor #15 alone she in line for a promotion to #6 . I use to know # 9 and #22 and # 3 that live in the united states but they retried or had their jobs out sourced . They passed their number on to their foreign inspector friends. Now they work at the local Walmart who gave them jobs after forcing their jobs to be out sourced.. They now go by their Christian name of John,Mary, Larry and other brothers all named Daryl. In a interview on 60 minutes inspector #1 is seeking mental health help because he had always been #1 in he is just known as Bubba now. Bubba's wife left him and moved to china and found the new #1 and they just had their #1 son . {watch a charlie chan movie}
Terry

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Inspected by: on 03/25/2012 10:13:04 MDT Print View

"I use to know # 9 and #22 and # 3 that live in the united states but they retried or had their jobs out sourced ."

Hopefully, their kids are studying hard in school -- so they will create entirely new industries when they grow up -- like how we baby boomers created the semiconductor industry. If not, bye bye good living... and hello Argentina.

Edited by ben2world on 03/25/2012 10:17:39 MDT.