Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Buying 'Fair Trade' Label?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 10:06:53 MDT Print View

I've never heard of 'Fair Trade' products.  Have you?  I am intrigued and would like to support it.  Next is to google for local LA shops.

Britain claims itself the biggest market for 'fair trade' goods.  I think we can do much better -- simply because we are so much bigger.  All the times reading about exploitative Wal Mart tactics, maybe it's time to switch?  Anyway, you can read more about it here.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 10:08:27 MDT Print View

I buy a fair bit of "fair trade" stuff here, but we have a local market that's very supportive of such things so it's easy to find.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 10:17:07 MDT Print View

Chris:

Can you share what you know about Fair Trade... and in your area, are the products noticeably more expensive than standard supermarket fare? The CNN article about Britain claims that prices are the same over there. I have my doubts about how all this is done here.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 10:20:52 MDT Print View

IIRC it has to do with paying "fair" market value, ensuring the workers are paid a living wage, have good living conditions, working conditions, etc. Prices here run about the same as other organic products and all of the fair trade stuff I've seen is also organic. Chocolate and coffee are very easy to get a fair trade items. Most of our produce, etc. sold in the stores is from local farms so there's not much trade there. I did get some fair trade bananas a couple of weeks ago though.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 11:13:36 MDT Print View

Thanks, Wallace. I'll read up more about this.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 11:27:10 MDT Print View

From what I have read, the Fair Trade Certification isn't really what we want to believe it is. Only a small amount of farmers get it and since there is a glut in that market, the certification is restricted, which ends up hurting most small farmers. Also, often the same certified farmers will sell their better product to the free market and the lesser to the Fair Trade. I think it probably is a good idea, but there is more looking into it to be done, before "buying " it.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 13:15:18 MDT Print View

I drink a lot of Tea most of the major companies have fair trade tea line in their product line the price are about $1.00 to $5.00 more expensive then non fair trade product.

Most of tea in the world comes from Plantations in India and the other countries in the region.
So when they say fair trade you have to remember the cost of living in that region is very low. So a fair trade plantation worker are probably only making about $50.00 to $100.00 in their currency more per year than the non fair trade plantation workers. So it may only be $1000.00 per year living wage in USA currency.

When my family had a Avocado ranch back in the 1970's we hired a migrant worker named Piadad from Mexico. My Father paid him $50.00 a day for 10 hours work we fed him lunch, beer,sodas,gave him breaks and sometimes he would stay for dinner with us . Our fellow rancher were real ticked off at my Dad because he paid him more than the $20.00 a day they were paying the other workers.

Piadad worked so hard he really deserved more money. I tried to keep up with him a couple time clearing chaparral in one day and I would quit mid day because I was so tired it felt like I did 2 days work in one morning trying to keep up with him.
Piadad worked for us every weekend we owned a ranch. When he went home for Christmas my Mom gave him a couple boxes with clothes and cookies for his family,My Dad gave $100.00 Christmas bonus. Pidadad would show back up around mid January worked every weekend we were down at our ranch. So I guess we owned a fair trade avocado ranch his family in mexico lived a good life because of the work he did here for us.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 03/24/2012 13:16:40 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 13:24:06 MDT Print View

Kat: I too have a concern whether the 'fair trade' label is akin to 'green' or 'eco' labels that can mean anything and everything this day and age.

Terry: Kudos to your parents. I think there is something to be said about paying prevailing rates... but then, there should also be rewards for working hard, being dependable and being loyal. After a while, even the worker doing the lowliest of jobs can feel like part of the family.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
What is "Fair Trade" on 03/24/2012 14:29:15 MDT Print View

I would argue the majority of what we buy is "fair trade." If both parties agree to a transaction and feel its in their best interest than its a "fair" treade. Its only unfair if force or fraud are involved.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 15:58:06 MDT Print View

Seems like another PC way to ease the conscience of the terminally guilt-ridden. Kind of like living in an area that doesn't allow wind turbines, but insisting on getting wind power on your electric bill. But maybe I'm just cynical.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/24/2012 23:39:17 MDT Print View

Ben said: "I've never heard of 'Fair Trade' products. Have you?"

So you've never heard and/or used this:

Dr

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/26/2012 14:52:05 MDT Print View

Shocking, but nope, never noticed. Don't use soap out in the wilds. I prefer antibacterial wipes.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/26/2012 14:55:35 MDT Print View

Aww Joe, I would'a thought you passed 'maybe' a long time ago.....;-)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/26/2012 15:28:23 MDT Print View

Have you been talking to my wife?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/26/2012 15:59:20 MDT Print View

I try to buy the best product available if it is within my budget, irrespective of any label on the product. And no, Joe, I don't feel the least bit guilty.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Buying 'Fair Trade' Label? on 03/26/2012 16:20:17 MDT Print View

Yah don't care. Just another do good label.
The best deal for me is only fair.