November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
An Intro to Backpacking Class sponsored by the AMC
Display Avatars Sort By:
Neil McGee

Locale: Northeast, East Asia
An Intro to Backpacking Class sponsored by the AMC on 03/23/2012 17:39:43 MDT Print View

I attended an Intro to Backpacking class sponsored by the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) the other night. The two hour session lasted closer to two and a half hours (with questions), and I was impressed with the solid and intelligent information they provided in a short, succinct amount of time – all helpful to make the experience of backpacking comfortable, safe and enjoyable for newbies like myself.

A quote from the materials handed out: “Try to keep your pack as light as possible – at most a total weight of 25-30lbs (or less!) with food and water for a weekend.” Yeah, I know. Most of you get well below that weight, but consider the sedentary urbanite who thinks his/her laptop back is too heavy. 25-30lbs is much less than I thought I would carry for my first trip before I started looking at this site….

What struck me most, I think, was how much BPL ideals and philosophy have entered into what appears to me at first to be a group of normally traditional/conventional backpackers – the “mainstream.” And a look at the schedule of activities for backpacking for the AMC confirms a whole list of other seminars, expos, trial camps, and day-long test hikes (with gear for more than a day hike…) to encourage lightweight backpacking. Maybe this is all news to me. But I was pleasantly surprised but the quality of information that I heard that night.