Forum Index » GEAR » Help a Poor College Student Out!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ted E
(Mtn_nut) - MLife

Locale: Morrison, CO
for rain pants on 03/23/2012 23:46:39 MDT Print View

if you can find older zipperless Golite reed pants, they are ~4 oz and as waterproof as you'll ever need and relatively breathable. Montbell is just coming out with their versalite pants, which are also plenty waterproof and slightly lighter.

i don't think rainpants are necessary unless your expecting very bad weather, but then again, i don't get cold legs, and i use pants that will dry pretty fast as soon as the sun comes out

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: rainpants! on 03/24/2012 17:26:52 MDT Print View

+1 for shorts and light rain pants. no need to have long pants and rain pants for 3 season. also, I have used my rain/windpants to sleep in vs. capilenes on colder nights. so they replace Lonnie's as well

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: for rain pants on 03/24/2012 17:30:51 MDT Print View

If anybody is thinking about lightweight rain pants, then I recommend the wind pants kit from Thru-Hiker. Some of the fabrics are about half-waterproof and half-breathable, and that suits me. Mine weigh only 2.45 ounces. When it gets cool and windy, I appreciate that extra layer.

--B.G.--

Justin C
(paintballr4life) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Mariposa on 03/24/2012 19:36:04 MDT Print View

Hey Clint I have a Mariposa for sale if you are interested. If so PM me.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Rain Pants and shelters on 03/24/2012 21:15:07 MDT Print View

I wasn't say never use rain pants. There are situatiosn where they are nice. If its really windy or rainy I bring them. I was just saying they are not something I would spend major money on. If your budget is limited I would focus first on a good pack, shelter and raincoat.

As far as shelters go you might be better off with some kind of light tent (unless cost is a major factor in which case a cheap tarp/bivy is hard to beat). But if you're interested in tarps here's tarps 101.
Here is a picture of my setup.

tarp

The trick with tarps is getting a tight pitch so they don't flap(a pup tent does this automatically when you intert the poles). What I've done here is stick my two trekking poles in the ground. Then I string the tarp up between them and stake it out tightly in all directions. I can do this pretty fast now but at first I had to adjust a lot to get it nice and tight.
This is a very small tarp so I have a bivy underneath. The bivy does two things. First its wind resistant so it keeps me warm in windy weather. Second its water resistant (but not waterproof, its kinda like a windbreaker). If a bit of water gets blown in the side of the tarp the bivy helps keep it off my sleeping bag.
This tarp is about 5X9 which is pretty small. I'd go with a 6 X 10 or 8 x 10. A bigger tarp gives you more margin for error and more room to work under if you're cooking or packing in the rain.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment on 03/24/2012 21:44:21 MDT Print View

Had a Contrail first for 3 years. Sold it & got the Moment which is an amazing tent and THE fastest tent to adjust to the wind. Pull one end stake and pivot it on teh other end stake, re-stake and you're done.

Great vestibule space for your pack. Enough space also to cook in it out of the rain.

Great ventilation, better than the Contrail.

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re on 03/26/2012 22:29:00 MDT Print View

Hey all thanks so much for all replies I really appreciate it. Given me a lot to consider.

on Packs: The ULA Circuit and Ohm have jumped into the mix along with the Gorilla and Mariposa. So any advice regarding those would be AWESOME.

Tent: I love the looks of the TT Moment but its a tad heavier than the Contrail and also I am now really loving the looks of the Zpacks Hexamid Solo Tent w/ Screen.

All advice is welcomed!

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Re: Re on 03/26/2012 22:48:54 MDT Print View

I have a Circuit and a Gorilla copy and I've owned a Mariposa Plus. For what its worth, the Circuit fits/feels the best. I use it for longer trips and the Gorilla for shorter trips. I like the design of the Circuit the best.

Edited by Catalyst on 03/26/2012 22:55:36 MDT.

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re: Re: Re on 03/26/2012 23:20:27 MDT Print View

Thanks Jeff,

Obviously the downside to the Circuit is that it is 38oz relative to the 24oz of the other packs but I really love all of the features that it has. I really want a pack that I am going to have for all my trips and that means carrying loads from 15 pounds all the way up to 25-30 range.

How does your Circuit carry relative to the Gorilla? And do you think the extra weight in the Circuit is worth the added comfort?

Thanks

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Re: Re: Re: Re on 03/26/2012 23:29:20 MDT Print View

Clint,

If I could only choose one, it would be the Circuit. It carries better for me and is more comfortable. The extra weight would be worth it. After stripping the unnecessary bits of the Circuit, mine weighs 33 oz. and I could probably get it a little lighter with some more trimming of the straps. I need the extra capacity for a bear canister though. If you could fit all your gear in a gorilla/ohm sized pack, I would definitely take a look at the Ohm. The 2.0 version could be a good compromise.

Edited by Catalyst on 03/27/2012 00:34:36 MDT.

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 03/26/2012 23:46:58 MDT Print View

Hmm choices..

One thing between the Ohm and Circuit is that the Circuit is roll top which I think I would prefer. How water resistant is the Circuit?

And was there anything about your Gorilla that would make you get the Ohm instead of it?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 03/27/2012 00:01:53 MDT Print View

"After stripping the unnecessary bits of the Circuit, mine weighs 336 oz."

Good Grief, Jeff! That sounds heavy.

--B.G.--

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 03/27/2012 00:33:30 MDT Print View

"Good Grief, Jeff! That sounds heavy."

I work out. ;)

Or, maybe that should say 33 oz.

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re: Re: for rain pants on 03/27/2012 07:12:54 MDT Print View

Are these what you are referring to Bob?...http://thru-hiker.com/kits/lr_pants_kit.php

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re: Rain Pants and shelters on 03/27/2012 07:19:31 MDT Print View

I would actuallt prefer the tarp/bivy combo but I cant find anything that is in the same neighborhood price wise as a tent because both of them put together are pricey. But if I found a tarp and bivy thatwere in the budget I would go with them for sure.

Also when using a bivy, some of them online look like they just sit on your face when you sleep. Im sorry but that would drive me mad how do yall put up with it??

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

bivy on 03/27/2012 09:11:10 MDT Print View

Most bivies have a tie out that you can connect to your tarp to keep it off your face. Check out the picture here (scroll down). You could probably add a small tarp to the bivy in the link and get close to the price of the tents you're looking at. I prefer more ventilation in bivies because I hike in hot weather with little rain, but if that net hood looks too breezy, check out Tigoat here. They offer a bivy with less netting, as do other companies. Oware has a 5x8 flat tarp here for $54, or an 8x10 flat tarp here for $102. They also offer cat cut tarps. BearPaw offers 6x10 and 8x10 tarps for $82 and $87 respectively here. I have products from both of them and they are excellent quality.

Edited by Catalyst on 03/27/2012 09:27:18 MDT.

Clint Lum
(clintlum91) - F
Re: bivy on 03/27/2012 10:16:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the post I hadnt seen any of these before. I will most likely go with the tarp/bivy combo because they seem so versatile my main concern with the tarp though is weather protection but I assume you can set them up as close to the ground as need for protection right?

Also what is the difference btw normal and cat cut tarps?

Edited by clintlum91 on 03/27/2012 10:19:24 MDT.