Forum Index » GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze & Platy inline filter set up

Display Avatars Sort By:
Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
Sawyer Squeeze & Platy inline filter set up on 03/23/2012 17:11:47 MDT Print View

I really like this for two people and have found that running it inline with a bladder works great. It is not hard to suck water through it.

This set up allows me to fill one platy very easily by either hanging it or squeezing and using the other with dirty water in it and filtering it inline.

Hanging it works very fast. It filled the 2L in less than 4 minutes with just a bit of squeezing at the very end of the fill.

Plugging the nipple into the mouth piece of the second platy works surprisingly well and there was only a tiny bit of leakage when I squeezed it but everything coming out is clean so it’s no problem.

It is also easy to burp the bladder if it gets a lot of air while filling by just taking off the nipple and sucking the air through the mouth piece.

For going solo I will just use it in line.

With the nipples on both ends of the filter it is easy to back flush or dry out just using the platy to squeeze air through it.

Being able to open the end of the platy to fill is a lot easier and worth the weight penalty of 2 ounces for me.

Having the endless supply of water with no batteries made me sell the Steripen and with the in line ability to grab dirty water and go this is the perfect set up for me.

The squeeze is a 0.1 micron filter.

SawyerPlaty1

SawyerPlaty2

SawyerPlaty4

SawyerPlaty3

SawyerPlaty5

Edited by ctracyverizon on 03/23/2012 18:40:13 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Sawyer Squeeze & Platy inline filter set up on 03/23/2012 17:19:12 MDT Print View

Nice! Not that you asked, Craig, but I would get those hydration tubes in two different colors -- maybe the blue tube for dirty water and a new, transparent tube for clean water. Otherwise, when tired out and all at the end of a long day, it can be easy to mix up the two tubes.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
"Sawyer Squeeze & Platy inline filter set up" on 03/23/2012 17:26:57 MDT Print View

That's a good thought but the drinking tube on the regular platy will never come off of it.

The drinking tube that attached to the sawyer comes off only.

That's one of the nice things about it, not having to do anything with the standard platy but plug the suck valve into the nipple on the sawyer.

You could take the suck valve off the standard platy and push it onto the sawyer nipple if you wanted a more secure connection, it comes off easy, but I am happy with how well it works without doing that.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: "Sawyer Squeeze & Platy inline filter set up" on 03/23/2012 17:31:37 MDT Print View

Ah, I see. Thanks.

David Hankins
(hankinsohl) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sawyer inline on 03/23/2012 17:32:37 MDT Print View

Very nice Craig!

It's kind of funny seeing your post at this time; I'm in the process of making a Sawyer inline bladder/gravity filter combo myself!

This youtube video outlines what I'll end up with.

Edited by hankinsohl on 03/23/2012 17:41:26 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
gravity? on 03/26/2012 10:34:27 MDT Print View

Also, theoretically woun't you will get better flow with the filter at the bottom of the gravity gradient- i.e. nearer the clean bladder than the dirty bladder?

Josh Earl
(joshearl)

Locale: Northern California
K.I.S.S. on 03/27/2012 02:36:51 MDT Print View

this seems like a very simple soultion and may switch me from steripen, i've already been eyeing the squeeze...

Edited by joshearl on 03/27/2012 02:45:48 MDT.

Josh Earl
(joshearl)

Locale: Northern California
Question on 03/27/2012 17:19:51 MDT Print View

Craig where did you get the nipple that fits into the mouthpiece or is this just what comes with the squeeze?