Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Your firestarter of choice?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Sounds complicated on 10/08/2012 03:40:01 MDT Print View

All these sound terribly complicated to me. How about small chips of Esbit or, for greater elegance, a small birthday candle? Dual use with the latter of course, and available at the supermarket.

Cheers

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: birthday candle? on 10/08/2012 06:18:11 MDT Print View

You could use the trick candles that keep re-igniting until they have burned themselves completely out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGCMk5g9f04

Just have that cup of water ready. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: birthday candle? on 10/08/2012 07:31:42 MDT Print View

The lint from a tumble dryer goes up fairly sharpest, I learned that one from a work buddy who's house went up in smoke due a build up of it in the back of his dryer.

Anytime I use the dryer (just use it for towels and bedding) I put the lint to one side..

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Lint from a tumble dryer on 10/08/2012 07:38:31 MDT Print View

Stephen,

+1

I've got 2 ZipLocs full of dryer lint in my laundry room as a write this post.

Party On,

Newton

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Birthday candle on 10/08/2012 09:39:29 MDT Print View

I like the simplicity of a birthday candle, but there's not a big enough wick, so not enough flame

And if you're trying to get wet wood to burn, it helps to have a little more wax so it burns long enough to get the wood burning

Thus, an egg carton with maybe 0.25 or 0.5 ounces of wax

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Lint from a tumble dryer on 10/08/2012 09:58:55 MDT Print View

It sure does the trick

Roy Staggs
(onepaddlejunkie) - F

Locale: SEC
WetFire on 10/08/2012 17:47:56 MDT Print View

Ultimate Survival WetFire™ Tinder. Weight per cube = 0.2 oz. No mess, no fuss, no problem. Pick them up in the store and put them in your pack. I used to make all kinds of fire starters and it was fun – but – this is too easy and it works better than anything I ever made. I always have a fire steel, matches and a lighter.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Firestarter of choice on 10/11/2012 10:30:36 MDT Print View

In the past I've used both the PJ soaked cotton balls and dryer lint but honestly I've found that I didn't really need either of these methods for most of my hikes and would often forget to bring it along or refill it.

9.5 times out of 10, I can just gather dry leaves, twigs, pine needles, etc and get them going with a match or two. If it has been raining or snowing, I spend a little more time scouting dry fuel from under fallen logs, rock overhangs, etc. Not a big deal imo.

If I really can't get a fire going with just natural materials, I'll use whatever is handy: a few drops of hand sanitizer works great. As does a few drops of denatured alcohol or some esbit flakes. Burn some of your (non-plastic) trash. Or a gauze pad out of the first aid kit or...

If I'm expecting wet conditions, I usually have some denatured alcohol or esbit along for a stove, so I can just skimp some of this for use as a firestarter. If conditions are dry, there's no shortage of fuel where I hike so no extra firestarters are needed.