Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » My first MYOG pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
My first MYOG pack on 03/22/2012 19:05:11 MDT Print View

My first MYOG pack. I think I went over the deep end with the time spent behind the sewing machine. I needed a few easy units my junior year of high school so I took a sewing class and it paid off. It is made out of grey Dyneema X grid and Cuben 1.5, it turned out to be 2500 ci main pack (40L) and the outside pockets expand to hold about 600+ ci. I added 3 shock cord systems around the pack to lash on more. Total weight 12.5oz, hope this inspires someone to create their dream pack.

dd

ddd

dddd

dddd

ddddddd

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Sewing machine on 03/22/2012 19:36:50 MDT Print View

Kaleb,

What kind of machine do you have? How much experience? My wife is a good seamstress but I thought about giving this a whirl on my own.

Great looking pack!

Edited by johnk on 03/22/2012 22:29:41 MDT.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: My first MYOG pack on 03/22/2012 19:38:32 MDT Print View

Very nice, Kaleb. Does that weight include the strippable parts (shockcord, sternum strap)? Can't quite see what type top closure you're using.

Also, it looks like you're using the type of sternum strap parts Chris Zimmer sells. How do you like the female side of the clip attaching directly to the shoulder strap? I need to add a sternum strap to my own MYOG pack--still undecided on style.

Again, great looking pack--thanks for posting it.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: My first MYOG pack on 03/22/2012 19:47:04 MDT Print View

Kaleb,

Well Done!

Interesting mix of fabrics and quite a respectable weight for the 2500 ci main pack volume.

I'm jealous. There was no sewing class available in my high school. Since it was an all male school, I'd have probably taken a good deal of ribbing for my course choice.;-)

What is the mesh fabric on the main pocket and where did you source it from? It looks like the Coarse Polyester Netting from the Rainshed.

From what I see as far as the hardware on your pack goes I'm guessing you went shopping at Zimmerbuilt. Did I guess right?

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 03/22/2012 19:54:56 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 03/22/2012 20:17:32 MDT Print View

Thanks for the comments. I have to thank Christopher Zimmer, I bought one of his packs and studied it, his work is amazing, the best I have ever seen.

John K., I have a Brother LX31-25, the various needles were from Rainshed, the heavy duty thread was Gutermann Ultra-Strength from D.I.Y. Gear Supply. I have a moderate amount of sewing experience.

David, the weight includes the shockcord and sternum strap, the top closure is a drawcord for the extension collar and a Y buckle over the top. Yes, the sternum strap buckle is from Zimmerbuilt, and I like it.

Newton, Yes, the sewing class was fun- about 25 girls and two dudes! Yes, the netting is from Rainshed, I went shopping at Zimmerbuilt, Zpacks, Rainshed, D.I.Y

If anyone want's to see some up close detail of anything let me know and I will post it.

Party On,

Kaleb

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
sweet! on 03/22/2012 21:53:18 MDT Print View

D@mn, that looks awesome. I'm going to try and forget these pictures, so I don't feel too inadequate with my first pack. Nice work!

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Great looking pack on 03/23/2012 07:49:56 MDT Print View

My first pack looked so bad compared to this. This is a great design and an amazing result. Well done on the weight as well.

Brent Mahan
(thenerb)

Locale: Southern New Hampshire
Wow on 03/23/2012 11:05:14 MDT Print View

Awesome job. Really looks pro.

If that was for sale, I'd consider buying it. Very impressed.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: Wow on 03/24/2012 19:30:11 MDT Print View

Wow is right! The first time on a new project for me never ends up that nice. Very good work Kaleb.