Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report on 02/06/2007 21:41:09 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report on 02/06/2007 22:14:32 MST Print View

I like the use of duct tape for nose cover. Who needs Labiosan...

Michael Hammond
(mvhammond) - F

Locale: Southeast U.S.
Re: Re: Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report on 02/07/2007 09:42:42 MST Print View

If it's not fun, why?

Edited by mvhammond on 02/07/2007 09:44:01 MST.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Ultralight in the Icebox: Post-Trip Report on 02/07/2007 09:50:25 MST Print View

Excellent follow-up, Andy. I look forward to the vapor barrier article as I can definetely learn a thing or two from it.

Linda Voll
(Mataharihiker) - F

Locale: NW Wisconsin
Nose cozy... on 02/10/2007 18:23:25 MST Print View

I think I prefer my system for keeping my nose warm...LOL...I do use the polarwrap warm air mask which keeps the respiration condensation sleeping bag issue to a minimum when it's really cold...

I'm looking forward to hearing the latest podcast and share others interest in the VBL system...

Edited by Mataharihiker on 02/10/2007 18:30:15 MST.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Nose cozy... on 02/10/2007 19:42:33 MST Print View

>I think I prefer my system for keeping my nose warm...LOL

I think your nose cozy is great. Did you make it or buy it? I have some cold-nose problems after frostnipping mine too many times.

Linda Voll
(Mataharihiker) - F

Locale: NW Wisconsin
Nose cozy... on 02/12/2007 08:31:29 MST Print View

I made it...cut and folded a piece of fleece, sewed a couple of stitches and added a band...it's a real fashion statement, isn't it? It looks like a pigs snout but it works really well and the price was right...LOL...

dan kutcher
(danscapes49) - F
vapor barriers on 02/19/2007 17:07:07 MST Print View

Anyone interested in vapor barrier clothing might want to have a look at Stephenson's Warmlite website. They have been making vapor barrier clothing since the late 1960s. Their laminated fabric, however, is not ultralight.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Stephenson's Warmlite VB Clothing on 02/19/2007 17:17:36 MST Print View

Dan,

The Stephenson's Warmlite VB Fuzzy Stuff Clothing is not overly heavy. My L VB top weighs 5.4 oz and my M VB Bottom (no zipper) only weighs 4.4 oz. In a sleeping system, these may well add about an additional 10 degrees F to the low temperature range. Additionally, if using down for your clothing and sleeping bag loft (if your clothing is dry), you should not have much issue with vapor entering the fill material and lessening loft.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 02/19/2007 17:25:35 MST.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Observation on 02/22/2007 08:17:24 MST Print View

I loved Carol's observation on pack weight .... once you get it down to a minimum level people tend to add a little back in.

The difference is that you really have to WANT that extra ounce because it's really hard to convince yourself to add it back in.

Once hitting 5 lbs it's a lot easier to be really comfy at 5.5 lbs than it would have been before.

Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective?

DONALD DYRLAND
(BOWSINGER) - F
MORE OPTIONS on 03/06/2007 20:30:04 MST Print View

What Skurka has accomplished is very impressive. We can learn a lot from his trip and the second time around maybe do it better? I have posed some questions and raised some issues with my FORTY BELOW thread on the winter hiking forum. That was the temperature that Skurka missed by about two weeks.