Montbell U.L. super spiral down hugger #5 ADVICE!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WM Summerlite on 03/24/2012 19:48:17 MDT Print View

William,
I just got back from a trip to the north woods in WI. I used my quilt for two nights with temps in the low 40s to low 50s, and very damp air. I slept under a tarp and used just a groundsheet.

I was completely warm and comfortable, which was expected because I have a 20F quilt, but I was also not too hot. The beauty of these quilts is the adaptability to different temps. If you get too warm, you can open the foot box for venting, and because of the baffle style (Karo) you can easily shift the down off the top of you. If it gets chilly, its really easy to move the down where it's needed.

Check out this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58892


It started as a silly Chaff thread, but there are some good photos and I've written more on my quilt. Let me know if you have any questions!

Christopher Heine
(heine19)

Locale: Colorado
re on 03/24/2012 20:48:09 MDT Print View

I have the #3 and its really not very warm. I wouldn't take it out in less than 40 degrees. Its my warm weather bag.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Works for me on 04/04/2012 16:56:31 MDT Print View

I use this bag exclusively for summer hiking at all altitudes. I use a neoair and 95% of the time have it fully open as a quilt. The other 5% of the time I zip up when cold and begin adding layers if still cold. I am 6' tall and 230 lbs. I use a long. Be sure it has enough room for you to add layers without flattening the insulation. Excellent bag.