Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest vs Z
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
is it possible to convert the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest roll into a Z fold ? on 03/20/2012 11:50:57 MDT Print View

has anyone experimented with modifying the bulky Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest from a burrito roll to a Therm-a-Rest Z accordion shape? This would involve Freddy Krueger surgical blades, and I suspect that I will cut too deep and completely destroy it.

I have both, the Z eggs crate shape folds nicely, optimizing the space, but it is super thin, and depending on the terrain... less comfort.

The Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest has good thermal design, but bulky, I put it inside my backpack rolled wide, and stuff my gear inside the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest burrito.

So I want to convert the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest roll into a Z fold

is it do-able?

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/20/2012 13:49:45 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: is it possible to convert the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest roll into a Z fold ? on 03/20/2012 11:55:26 MDT Print View

Slice and dice, then use some strong tape (duct tape or Gorilla tape) to put it back together, with fold allowances so it folds easily and flat.

MICHAEL SCOTT
(apathlesswood)
heat on 05/24/2012 13:35:37 MDT Print View

Having seen a video of how its made, it seems like a big steel plate comes down and with heat, presses the shape. So, if you had a hot bar or something, you could press in fold seams (alternating sides of the pad). The issue is not to melt through... just press it thin to make a crease fold. Try pressing a hot nail into the corner to see if it hold the form, now im curious.

D Haggart
(drumhaggart) - F
May not work out very well on 05/25/2012 08:41:20 MDT Print View

A good part of the reason that the Z-rest is space efficient is because the sections nest when they fold. The pad is designed so that the "hills" on one section fit into the "valleys" on the adjoining one. I'm not sure that you'd be able to accomplish the same thing with the diagonal bosses on the Ridge Rest.

Just a thought.

-Steve

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Therm-a-rest - Cascade designs - if you are reading this... on 05/30/2012 10:40:33 MDT Print View

get your engineers to design an accordion Z-fold but with the thickness and R value of the RidgeRest.

I would like to take on the project, but I know that my talents are not with the precision of a surgeon, I'll end up with a MYOG Z-fold that is 75% duct tape and 10 lbs.