Summer storm shelter for two. Ideas?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Locale: White River National Forest
Re: Re: Great images... on 03/20/2012 14:49:12 MDT Print View

Well best of luck to you with that Rakesh, from a retired pro photographer.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
SL3 on 03/20/2012 15:42:52 MDT Print View

"The Golite Shangri-La 3 is available but it looks like it might be hard to find a place for pitching it in smaller camping situations. Is that true? Is it true enough to be a factor in the Rockies."

I don't know about the Canadian Rockies but I don't have any problem finding spots to pitch it in the Colorado Rockies. I even pitched it with a small bush inside before (but it was just me and my dog). Gave it nice ambiance. :)

For tighter spots, pitch it as a duo-mid. I've only done this for fun at home but it's in my back pocket now if I need it. Check out Craig's post on it:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18598

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Twing on 03/20/2012 16:08:14 MDT Print View

@Ron - Ha! Yes I guess that IS the easy way. And also the very expensive way.

Temps were about 22C at higher altitudes and maybe 5-7C in the evening. No rain. No snow.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Re: Twing on 03/20/2012 16:27:57 MDT Print View

@Ron - Thanks! It's going to be a long road, but I'm not giving up.

:)

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Twing on 03/20/2012 16:30:12 MDT Print View

" the Twing will be our shelter in Arctic Scandinavia, along the great himalayan trail in Nepal, on some prety remote corners in Patagonia, Bolivia and Sout-Easth Alaska."

I take it then that you're pretty confident in the Twing's ability to withstand nasty weather, eh? :)

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: SL3 on 03/20/2012 16:33:59 MDT Print View

It sounds like the Canadian Rockies won't be a problem for a big shelter-footprint and I didn't expect it would but during my forum research I came across at least one owner commenting about tightness in some camps with the Shangri-La 3. Thanks for that link. The illustrated pitch would indeed make the SL3 more versatile.

I've also read some comments about duo mids being a bit cramped and in someone's words not suitable for 2. That makes me feel even better about the SL3 if I go that direction.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
SL3 on 03/20/2012 16:36:41 MDT Print View

Ron, I would agree with the duomid being a bit cramped for two people. It can work, but since the walls slope in pretty aggressively, I mostly use it as a solo shelter.

I think the SL3 will work out just fine; pretty lightweight, plenty of space, and holds up in bad weather.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
SL3 on 03/20/2012 17:52:05 MDT Print View

I love the SL3. I've weathered many rainstorms comfortably with two people in it. Absolute rain palace for one at only 24oz. for the fly.
And if the campsite is tight, pitch it as a mid.

http://sweepingthegarden.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/golite-shangri-la-3-hex-to-mid-conversion/

As a mid the dimensions are almost identical to the MLD Duomid.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: SL3 ....... anything else? on 03/20/2012 18:34:05 MDT Print View

What's light transmission like on the SL3, with the door closed down for weather protection?

I think the model being sold now has two peak vents. Did they go from 1 to 3 and then 2? Any other changes to be aware of from the last edition to the one currently being sold on the Golite site?

Getting down to decision time. I always like to go once more around the horn.

No one is tuned in with a MLD SuperMid they are looking to move? lol.

I'll be buying something by tomorrow and scouring the net again tonight.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Scarp 2 on 03/20/2012 18:39:11 MDT Print View

I havent used the Scarp 2 but I have used a Scarp 1 with two folk in it (fly sheet only) in 70mph+ gust and it faired well.

Ron W
(Miles2go) - F

Re: Scarp 2 on 03/20/2012 19:43:11 MDT Print View

Was that your account where the tent was greatly deforming throughout the night as you braced it from inside until you basically were so mentally fatigued that you simply didn't care any longer and fell asleep? I could be wrong, I've been reading an awful lot of reviews lately.