Forum Index » GEAR » The Sawyer Squeeze just got better

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 13:21:14 MDT Print View

It is taking 2 minutes, squeezing as hard as I can squeeze, to get 8 ounces of water through this filter.

Surely those of you who are praising it must be getting a higher flow rate than this!?

I tested it a couple of months ago and don't recall it being this slow/difficult. I emptied, bleached and dried it per protocol after this testing but I suspect it has clogged up in some way.

Back flushing with the syringe only produces a small dribble out of the other end. Is this typical of your experience?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 13:38:36 MDT Print View

It takes me more like 2 minutes to filter 16 ounces, with little squeezing, mainly just letting gravity do the work.

When I first start filtering, it takes a while to get it to flow good, but that doesn't sound like you.

I backflushed with several syringe fulls that resulted in a few syringe fulls coming out the other end (conservation of water : )

Did you backflush several syringe fulls? Like maybe 5?

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 14:00:51 MDT Print View

Mine flows much faster than that so definitely sounds like something is plugged up. Of course mine is fairly new and I have only used on one overnight trip so far. So when you first used it and you got good flow, when you cleaned up did you blow through the end for force out as much remaining water as possible?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 14:30:25 MDT Print View

Jerry and Randy,

Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful.

I backflushed with several syringes with original test and on this test. Very difficult to even get water into the filter when backflushing. Most of it sqirts out between the syringe and the filter, even when I press the syringe firmly against the filter.

Filter doesn't work continuously with gravity only. I get a small drip like stream, pause, repeat, etc.

I think I'll go to REI and test their return policy.

Lucky I re-tested it before taking it on an actual backpacking trip.

Daryl

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 15:28:14 MDT Print View

Tried it just now

32 ounce Sawyer bag full

maybe 2 minutes to filter 8 ounces in gravity mode

50 seconds with light pressure on bag to filter 16 ounces

sounds like yours is defective

maybe when you cleaned it, it clogged it up

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 21:06:03 MDT Print View

Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to measure your gravity flow rate. I could live with that rate of filtering.

"maybe when you cleaned it, it clogged it up"
I think that might be the case or something might have grown inside the filter between tests. I just don't know and because I don't know I don't know how to prevent it from happening again. Reliability is my #1 criteria when it comes to filters (and cars for that matter).

I think I'll read the Hyperflow reviews that Roger mentioned many posts ago on this thread.

Daryl

Edited by lyrad1 on 07/31/2012 21:16:00 MDT.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Roger's Review on 07/31/2012 21:27:09 MDT Print View

Roger's review of the Hyperflow addressed the problem of it getting blocked up due to less than crystal clear water. I used Seattle tap water so I don't think this was the problem.

Hmmmmmmm. Still left with uncertainty as to why mine has so dramatically reduced its flow.

I'm tempted to cut this thing open and see what's going on inside. It would be a rather expensive catering to my curiousity, however, because not even REI would/should take it back if I destroy it on purpose.

If REI won't take it back I'll take the saw to it. In a way I'm hoping they won't take it back.

I destroyed a toilet once that kept getting stopped up. Just had to know what was going on. Couldn't find anything during the autopsy. Found out later (thanks to having a septic tank) that my renters were putting some personal items into the toilet.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Roger's Review on 07/31/2012 21:53:02 MDT Print View

"I destroyed a toilet once that kept getting stopped up. Just had to know what was going on. Couldn't find anything during the autopsy. Found out later (thanks to having a septic tank) that my renters were putting some personal items into the toilet."

In the plumbing trade(turd herder division) those "personal items" are known as "sewer trout".
Extra points for pulling an intact action figure out of a toilet with the closet auger..

Anyhow.. carryon.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 21:58:29 MDT Print View

Jerry,

I just filtered 1 quart in gravity mode and it took 17.5 minutes. That's over 4 minutes per 8 ounces or more than twice as slow as yours.

You must have bought the deluxe model.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Roger's Review on 07/31/2012 22:01:44 MDT Print View

Matthew,

I asked some septic tank guys what their favorite work related sayings were. Here's what I got:

"No splashing."

"Don't drink from the hose."

Daryl

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 22:08:16 MDT Print View

Is it possible that you have the point zero two filter while the other folks have the pointone filter? If so, that could account for at least some of the difference in flow rate, i would think.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 22:22:52 MDT Print View

Douglas,

I'm not familiar with the "pointone" word. I do have the standard Squeeze filter, however, and not the one that is supposed to take care of viruses. Is that what you mean?

More specifically, however, my filter has clogged up between testing it a couple of months ago and testing it now. I didn't measure the flow rate when I first tested it but it streamed out pretty well and, I'm guessing, had a flow rate similar to what Jerry reported. Now it only drips water when using it in gravity mode and the flow rate is at least twice as slow as Jerry's. Or to put it another way, Jerry's is over twice as fast as mine.

Why does Jerry get a good fast filter while I get a slow one? It just isn't fair.

Daryl

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 22:26:02 MDT Print View

Perhaps just buy a new filter and cut up the old one to see what went wrong, instead of returning the whole unit?

You weren't, by chance, using the filter to help treat hemorrhoids were you? I know your fascination with 'roids and all, and that could really mess up a filter. Sir, keep the Sawyer away from ...... you know.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 22:42:49 MDT Print View

.. don't chew your fingernails.. we are number one in the #2 buisiness... *&^% flows downhill..

Okay, I had a similar problem with a ceramic filter I used once.
I had allowed the element to completely dry out between uses.
The flow rate was initially very low until the element became saturated again.
Is it possible this is happening with your Sawyer?
Do micro fiber filters need to be pre-soaked?
Salt contamination?

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/31/2012 22:44:35 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Very poor flow rate on 07/31/2012 22:51:09 MDT Print View

"Do micro fiber filters need to be pre-soaked?"
That's what the Sawyer Squeeze documentation says. "Filter will need initial wetting and flow will increase after initial uses"

The Squeeze is 0.1 micron - good for bacteria and protozoa but not for viruses. Sawyer also makes a 0.02 micron filter which is also good for viruses.

Just return it to REI. They will take anything without even asking you why. If they ask just say it's clogged.

Try another one and maybe it will work better?

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
SAWYER FEEDBACK on 08/01/2012 06:22:26 MDT Print View

May I suggest you contact John Smith of SAWYER and run your issues past him as he is the "man in the know" concerning the water filter/purifier products.

johntsmith@sawyerproducts.com;

ALSO....

Yes, you need to "wet" the filter element to get any type of flow rate.

I do not believe your filter is a Sawyer Point ZeroTWO Purifier since the quantity of Hollow Fibers would not fit in the Sawyer PointONEâ„¢ Filter.

Lastly, the filter was designed to be used in a squeeze mode....how fast does the water fill a liter container?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: SAWYER FEEDBACK on 08/01/2012 07:53:23 MDT Print View

"Yes, you need to "wet" the filter element to get any type of flow rate"

Do you have to do anything? or does that just mean that when you start filtering, it's a little slow at the beginning but gradually increses flow?

"Lastly, the filter was designed to be used in a squeeze mode"

The only problem with that is that the bags tend to explode. Squeezing the bag produces a lot of pressure that bags aren't normally subjected to.

Gravity mode would be safer. Or just light pressure on the bag.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
SAWYER FEEDBACK on 08/01/2012 09:39:44 MDT Print View

Jerry....... Just came back from a ten day trip with four of my grand children ages 13 - 9 and the wife. We treated all our water with the Sawyer squeeze filter and the SteriPen with a 4 micron finish filter. The grandchildren are all girls and they "made water" for all of us 80% of the trip.

We use SAWYER 1.0l BAG AND a EVERNEW WATER BLADDER- 0.6l. Had no issues with leakage around the plastic area where it will leak. I strongly believe that trying to STRONGLY FORCE the water through the filter will cause the issues individual have seen. This leakage is also an issue with the NALGENE CANTEEN in just normal storage/packing usage. I had the girls roll the bottom of the bag as the squeezed AND not to try to get the very last drop of water out of the bag.

Sawyer Filter

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: SAWYER FEEDBACK on 08/01/2012 10:12:14 MDT Print View

Ken,

Thanks for the Johntsmith contact. I'll follow-up with him if I can't sort this out.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Hopeful signs on 08/01/2012 10:46:35 MDT Print View

I discussed the problem with Sawyer Customer Service. She said the problem was common and I shouldn't give up on the filter. She had several suggestions.

(1) If the fibers have dried out it may take a while for them to get wetted. I told her I had tried for several hours so she went on to other suggestions.
(2) Calcium or other deposits from our Seattle tap water may have collected on the fibers. Hot water, vinegar and/or bleach might help remove the deposits and/or speed up the wetting process.
(3) A lot of pressure is needed when backflushing. She said the latest models have improved the syringe/filter connection to reduce leakage between filter and syringe when applying a lot of pressure.

So I ran hot water through both ends of the filter by holding it up to the kitchen faucet. I also have run vinegar through it.

The flow rate is visibly improved.

I'll do some flow measurements after I'm done fooling around with the suggestions that were given me.