Forum Index » GEAR » The Sawyer Squeeze just got better

Display Avatars Sort By:
drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: The Sawyer Squeeze just got better on 05/22/2012 12:00:23 MDT Print View

"Will the Squeeze work with 2 smart water bottles? or 1 smart and 1 Evernew? would you need the tornado thing?"

Do those bottles have standard soda bottle caps? Not the new shallow caps.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: The Sawyer Squeeze just got better on 05/22/2012 14:01:01 MDT Print View

the generic smart water bottle i have isn't correct. I did find some 1L aquafina bottles that should work though. now to find a tornado thing.

my REI store didn't have Squeeze's at all.. so Backcountry.com will get $ instead.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Sawyer Squeeze just got better on 05/22/2012 14:11:18 MDT Print View

I've used the 1.5 liter green tea bottles. I was lucky I had those on a trip when I found that the Platypus threads wouldn't seal like they did at home.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
campacopia.com evernew 2l on 05/22/2012 14:48:42 MDT Print View

http://www.campacopia.com/evernew-2-liter-water-carry/

on sale too, for 11 bucks. They also have all the evernew pot sizes as well, also on sale.

Maybe finally I'll break down and grab that .9 or 1.3 liter for a wide based pot...

The 2 liter seems the best option anyway for dirty water, that way you can use it if you need extra storage as well.

Oh, wait, items not available.. the bladder still is. Is evernew stopping? I'm seeing their stuff vanish too.

Edited by hhope on 05/22/2012 14:55:16 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: campacopia.com evernew 2l on 05/22/2012 14:53:57 MDT Print View

I might get the 1.5L smartwater or whatever bottle for dirty side. it seems like as long as they are somewhat squeezable it goes through ok? Eugene have you tried plastic bottles on both ends and hung/stood them up gravity style?

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: campacopia.com evernew 2l on 05/22/2012 14:58:12 MDT Print View

The 2L is $9.49 regular price at greatoutdoordepot.com

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: campacopia.com evernew 2l on 05/22/2012 15:23:34 MDT Print View

Jake, that would require a Tornado fitting on the clean end. I don't think it'd work though because eventually the dirty bottle will come into equilibrium and not drop any more water. It must be squeezed. Cutting off the bottom of the dirty bottle could work though.

adam blanton
(adamallstar) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
sawyer bags 3 for 10 on 05/22/2012 15:31:29 MDT Print View

You can also order 3 of the 2L sawyer bags for $10, 3 bags + a little duct tape just might last as long as 1 $10 evernew.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: campacopia.com evernew 2l on 05/22/2012 16:53:22 MDT Print View

Hmm.. i guess i'll give the stock sawyer bags a go for a bit. I'd rather have a dirty bottle that could be used to haul extra water and have just the 1L bottle always clean.

has anyone figured out why the evernew bottles are disappearing? seems odd

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Evernew bags disappearing? on 05/22/2012 17:06:18 MDT Print View

I asked the guy from Greatoutdoorsdepot.com when he called this morning, and he said he hadn't heard anything about Evernew water bags disappearing. At the time he called, they still had the 1.5L and 2L bags, but I'd advise emailing them since they didn't state on their website that the 0.9L bags I wanted were out of stock (and have been for 2 weeks). The 2L bag I ordered yesterday was shipped today.

I found that TrailDesigns lists the 0.9L Evernew water bags so I ordered from there this morning. I just hope they aren't also out of stock!

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Evernew bags disappearing? on 05/22/2012 17:26:14 MDT Print View

ah.. i wish they had them in regular stores i hate paying $6 shipping for a $8 water bottle :P

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Agree about postage! on 05/22/2012 17:33:17 MDT Print View

When the postage costs almost as much as the item, it's frustrating! On the other hand, for me the gas to drive to the nearest REI and back costs just as much, especially out here on the Left Coast (2 gallons at $4.15/gallon). Going to the local gear stores near downtown Portland is worse because of parking fees on top of the same amount of gas.

Trail Designs just shipped the two 0.9L Evernew bottles I want for my dog's pack, so I'm now OK!

Edit, next day: Gas here (east of Portland, OR) is now $4.20/gallon!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/23/2012 12:54:06 MDT.

Anthony A
(barqy) - F

Locale: BC
sp 122 or sp 162? on 05/22/2012 18:03:55 MDT Print View

so are we all in agreement that one should purchase the sawyer 3 way inline filter (sp122) and buy the bladders separately? Either platypus or evernew? This is for backpacking purposes (4-5 people, 5 day trip)

The sp 162, which has a 2L clean and dirty bag can be had for $89 with free ship which seems more convenient!

thanks all, learning lots

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
cheap shipping on 05/22/2012 21:06:25 MDT Print View

campacopia.com has very very cheap shipping, check it out, was a few dollars. The more online vendors who realize that sending something light via first class mail for 3 dollars or less, the better. A few are starting to do that, makes sense for light gear after all.

Re using sawyer stock bags, just touch them, then touch an evernew, roll them both up a few times, that's why I bought the evernew 2l, which I like better than my platys anyway, I'm not buying more platypus bags. For sawyer stuff, a bag that starts leaking and fails miles from nowhere is useless, doesn't matter how cheap they are per 3 pack. And if you bring two in case one fails, that's more weight than one decent quality one like evernew. I wish they'd use a few mil thicker bag, but they don't, maybe some forum threads like this will wake them up.

Anthony A, near as I can tell from this thread, unless you have old platys, this thread is largely agreed that the new platys aren't sealing well, and even if they do seal, the threads are too small and might fail at any time even if you do get them to not leak. The cross threading isn't subtle, it happened to me the first times I tried it, and I'm reasonably mechanically tuned in.

Edited by hhope on 05/22/2012 21:09:16 MDT.

Matt Lang
(langcow) - F
Sawyer filter bottle with Evernew bags? on 05/22/2012 23:14:14 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about getting the Sawyer filter bottle (http://www.rei.com/product/822013/sawyer-water-treatment-filter-bottle) rather than the Squeeze, but do you guys think there'd be a problem with taking the filter out and hooking it between 2 Evernew bottles to create a gravity feed system at the campsite?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Sawyer filter bottle with Evernew bags? on 05/22/2012 23:46:31 MDT Print View

It should work fine, just keep things clean.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Filters??? STILL? on 05/22/2012 23:55:05 MDT Print View

Yep. Definitely filters. Substantially less margin for error than the Steripen.

Gotta order me some of those Evernew bottles!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sawyer filter bottle with Evernew bags? on 05/23/2012 03:57:15 MDT Print View

One thing to note:
I don't think Sawyer actually make too many different filter UNITS. They make lots of different packages, but a lot of them seem to use the same inline filter UNIT.

Cheers

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Sawyer filter bottle with Evernew bags? on 05/23/2012 07:04:26 MDT Print View

I agree. they put the inline or the 3 way with and without their bladders of different sizes. the old inline is also sold at Walmart in a filter bottle.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Sawyer filter bottle with Evernew bags? on 05/23/2012 07:24:04 MDT Print View

Maybe the Squeeze and the 3 way have the same filter element inside?

I tried to unscrew the Squeeze a little, but couldn't gte it undone. I didn't want to break it though so I didn't try too hard: )