Forum Index » Gear Swap » Quick Mick Cozies

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Quick Mick Cozies on 03/19/2012 22:02:25 MDT Print View

Hi Everyone,
I've mentioned in posts here and there that my son, Mickey, is on his way to crossing over to Boy Scouts next year. The kid loves backpacking, is crazy for camping, and looking forward to the bigger and better adventures to come. Now of course I'm helping him get set up with lightweight gear, and he's very appreciative of that, but he's also got an eye on some upgrades. For example, he has a ridgerest, but would like something more comfortable, like an air mattress. I'm going to hook him up with a warmer sleeping bag, but if he wants something down, that's a bit more. Like many of us got as kids, "If you want that, you're going to have to earn it yourself!"

So, he's come up with "Quick Mick Cozies" - this is his venture to earn money for some of the upgraded gear that he has his eye on, so that he can travel a little lighter and a little more comfortably. So without further ado, the following is from my son, Mickey, age 9, Webelos 1:

Quick Mick Cozies!
Would you like a nice cozy for keeping your dehydrated meals hot while they cook? Of course you would! And what better cozy than a Quick Mick Cozy!? Quick Mick Cozies are great because they can fit in your pack very easily, they're very light and only 1.2oz, make your meal easier to handle, and will hold a quart sized ziploc bag meal very nicely!

Quick Mick Cozies will only cost $8 per cozy, with free shipping! PM or email (kier.selinsky [at] gmail) my dad to order yours today!

The Quick Mick Cozy!

Quick Mick Cozies feature a velcro closure!

Edited by Kieran on 03/20/2012 09:15:57 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Quick Mick Cozies on 03/19/2012 22:53:23 MDT Print View

Those look really good. Are they sized for quart bags or what? I'm new to cozies.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Re: Quick Mick Cozies on 03/19/2012 22:57:03 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken - he's been working hard on them! They are sized to handle a full quart freezer bag and have a little fudge room. If you had a custom size you wanted, he could accommodate that as well.

Cheers!
Kier

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Put me down for one on 03/20/2012 01:18:55 MDT Print View

Gotta support our future cottage companies;-) But seriously, forget boy scout popcorn or girl scout cookies this is the kind of things they should be making/selling!

Paypal address?and Ill send the money with my info.

Chase

Robert Dolan
(thinknotforever) - F

Locale: New England
excellent! on 03/20/2012 06:30:10 MDT Print View

these look really amazing... and a wonderful thing to support! i'll take two of these !!

please email me to gather correct shipping postage and paypal info

robertpdolan @ gmail.com

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Thanks! on 03/20/2012 08:47:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for the interest, guys! I've messaged both of you. Anyone who wants to contact me directly instead of via PM, can email me at kier.selinsky [at] gmail.

Because some have asked via PM for more info, he's an industrious kid. He arrived at the $8 price point after figuring out all his costs and deciding how much profit was fair (he gets about $4 per sale after materials and shipping) for the amount of work that goes into each one (probably about 20 minutes including time to address shipments and deal with the post office). He is paying for his own materials, although I supplied him the first batch on credit - given the amount of work he's putting in, that debt will likely be forgiven ;-).

It's a fun exercise for him if nothing else. He's always wanted to have his own business. Thanks for the support!

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Status on 03/20/2012 12:27:00 MDT Print View

FYI - Mickey's cozies are getting some good attention. All orders submitted or mentioned already should ship by Saturday or Monday. At this point, additional ones should ship Tuesday.

Thanks for the support and positive vibes!

Edited by Kieran on 03/20/2012 12:27:36 MDT.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
RE: Status on 03/20/2012 13:02:52 MDT Print View

Sent you an email regarding the cozies.

Thanks!

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Quick Mick Cozies on 03/20/2012 15:16:35 MDT Print View

"Soitenly!"

Email sent.

Yea! Mickey ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Re: Quick Mick Cozies on 03/20/2012 15:40:34 MDT Print View

i'll take 2, please PM me the payment info. thanks!

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Mickey's Cozy Empire on 03/20/2012 20:53:08 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the awesome support and orders! He's cranking out the cozies! Time to hit the store for more materials!
Mickey's Cozy Empire

Edited by Kieran on 03/20/2012 20:57:11 MDT.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
re: cozy on 03/20/2012 22:05:31 MDT Print View

Paypal payment sent for one.

Thanks!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Quick Mick Cozies on 03/21/2012 16:17:33 MDT Print View

Okay, I have a couple large rolls of Reflectix in the garage and lots of material to build on. Cost would be nothing.

Don't know if I even need a cozie.

But, I have to get one now! We need more young people like your son.

PM sent to you for payment information.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Cozy on 03/21/2012 19:20:48 MDT Print View

I don't need a cozy, but I gotta donate to the cause. I'm sending a PM so I can get your Paypal info. I want to send him a little money for his gear.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Update on 03/21/2012 23:03:42 MDT Print View

Thanks again for the awesome support! You guys rock! Just a quick update - at this point, new orders will ship on Wednesday by end of day.

Thanks again! Mickey's been having a lot of fun with this and is swelling with pride at making his way to gearing himself up!

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Cool on 03/23/2012 06:54:05 MDT Print View

PM Sent...

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Update on 03/23/2012 22:04:28 MDT Print View

You guys rock! So as an update, Mickey's about 2/3 of the way to having earned the air mattress he wants. I came home from a business trip tonight and the house is covered in cozies! He's going to ship them starting tomorrow morning, and I expect everything will get shipped by Wednesday-ish at the latest.

Also, thought you guys might appreciate this. Through a local boy scout connection, we got a great deal on a very very gently used Osprey Talon 44, it's just a tad baggy on him, but at this rate he'll be stretching it by next week :) The hiking poles you see strapped on there are what he bought with his allowance savings a few weeks ago.
Mickey in his Osprey Talon 44

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

All Ready to Ship! on 03/25/2012 12:03:02 MDT Print View

Hi Everyone -
Mickey has worked his butt off the last couple days to ship everything on or ahead of schedule! Some of you were notified yesterday of your shipment, the rest will go in tomorrow's mail. The little dude is committed to coming through on the promise!

Thanks for your support! He's a proud little guy, and having fun!

Brent Mahan
(thenerb)

Locale: Southern New Hampshire
So awesome on 03/26/2012 07:58:36 MDT Print View

Truly great! What an industrious little entrepreneur!

I'll take one. PM sent!

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: All Ready to Ship! on 03/26/2012 08:18:49 MDT Print View

"The little dude is committed to coming through on the promise"!

The apple doesn't usually fall to far from the tree! I smell the sweet aroma of a healthy family atmosphere and good parenting. ;-)

Congrats to Mickey and you & yours.

BTW this is what it is replacing.

Tyvek and Fleece Cozy

I do believe that I am upgrading my cook kit. LOL

Party On,

Newton