Forum Index » GEAR » looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 16:42:52 MDT Print View

My montbell chameece inner fleece is at the end of it's life. I would love to replace it with an exact copy, but it seems that the current version of this fleece now has multiple pockets, and looser fit, and may be using a heavier fleece material :-(

Any suggestions of a micro fleece (100wt or less) which in priority order:

1) has a full zip
2) no hood
3) minimal pockets (one discrete napoleon would be ok), but ideally none
4) same warmth/weight (my size L is 9.2oz)
5) athletic fit
6) has a bit of elastic at the bottom or draw string to help reduce drafts
7) black in color

Thanks,
Mark

Edited by verber on 03/19/2012 16:59:16 MDT.

Steve Cain
(hoosierdaddy) - F

Locale: Western Washington
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 16:52:56 MDT Print View

Marmot Men's Reactor Full Zip

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___94009

Maybe a bit heavy at 12.7 oz, but fits your criteria.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 16:57:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Steve. It's a possibility, but I would love something a bit lighter weight.

--Mark

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 17:01:44 MDT Print View

Mark, I couldn't find the perfect fleece full zip garment like I had in mind, but I found the right pullover. So, out came the sewing machine and I put in a zipper. No biggie.

--B.G.--

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 17:29:23 MDT Print View

The Haglofs Micro Jacket is very close. It looks like a clone of the now discontinued Dual Jacket that I've been using for a few years for a winter, active mid-layer. Expensive for what it is but a good, simple design and quality stuff.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 23:01:33 MDT Print View

What about this Marmot:

http://marmot.com/products/haven_jacket?p=216,143

Lists at 9.6 oz (though that is probably for the Med)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/19/2012 23:33:17 MDT Print View

Verber
Check out the OR centrifuge. It's a hoody fwiw so may be a deal breaker for you. I love mine. It's not a loose cut. Well blah blah blah

You'll know if you want it or not! Just throwing it out there

Shoulda read your whole post. My bad. Well... It rocks anyway.

Edited by WoodenWizard on 03/19/2012 23:35:00 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
hhmmmmm on 03/20/2012 00:13:32 MDT Print View

i have no idea what weight it is .... but youll be amazed at what functional gear you can find at places like old navy, lands end, etc ... for < 20$

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=71901&vid=1&pid=896236&scid=896236002

personally id get an R1 copy jacket ... some brands have full zip ... IMO a half zip is fine

Brendan L
(mechB) - F

Locale: Washington DC
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/20/2012 09:51:16 MDT Print View

Have you decided on a jacket yet? You could try the Patagonia Micro-D Jacket:

http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/patagonia_shelled_micro_d_luxe_jacket_mens.html

I think they are discontinuing the full-zip in favor of the hoodie and 1/4 zip versions, so I think getting it on clearance now is your only option.

I have the hoodie version in Medium (I'm fairly slim at 6ft 160lbs) and it's definitely an athletic fit, and long enough for my ginormous torso. I absolutely love it. I find it to be much warmer, but not much heavier, than other micro fleece jackets, like the North Face TKA 100 1/4 zip I have (which is also nice in it's own right).

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/21/2012 17:08:50 MDT Print View

I don't suppose anyone has a lightly used original version of the montbell chameece inner fleece in size L they want to get rid of?

I have come to the conclusion that no one makes something like this fleece anymore :-( The closest I have found around here is a TNF 100wt micro fleece pullover. Fit was pretty close to what I am looking for when I size down. Unfortunately, I need something for traveling in addition to in the back country so Bob's suggestion of surgery really doesn't work for me, I won't produce something that is acceptable in looks. The other issue is that the material in the inner fleece seems to be about 60-70% the weight of the typical 100wt classic micro fleece that most companies use. I run hot… slightly lighter really makes a difference for me.

From the description, the Haglofs Micro Jacket sounds the closest to what I am looking for, though it will be a warmer / heavier than I would like. Anyone know someplace that carries them in the US? I am not finding any place.

Most of the fleece I have looked at / suggested here are more of a regular rather than athletic fit which includes the Patagonia, Marmot fleece and most of the lower cost options from places like Old Navy are tend to be heavier / warmer than I want.

There were suggestion ofhoody including doing an R1 knock off. If it was for back country only in the winter, I am right there with you. When the snow is out, an R1 hoody is on my body… but for most of my 3 season trips, and for around town, this is just too much for me.

--Mark

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: PNW
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/21/2012 17:16:09 MDT Print View

Melanzana makes this half-zip top: http://melanzana.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/33?osCsid=e6761fab9fcc011dc26ca428766f2e67

My micro grid hoodie from them weighs 9 oz in a small. Maybe they could make you a full-zip if you e-mailed them?

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
microfleece full zip on 03/21/2012 19:30:08 MDT Print View

I went through this a year or two ago, trying to find a jacket for my boyfriend. The nearest I could find is a Mountain Hardware Microfleece jacket, for 11-12 ounces, depending on which site you refer to. Has handwarmer pockets, otherwise has the feature set you are looking for.

I can hook you up with a Montane Oryx jacket that I purchased for my boyfriend, XL in black. He's not an "athletic" cut at all. weight is 8.5 ounces for men's medium, their fit is quite close, so XL might work. PM me if interested and we'll talk.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
columbia? on 03/22/2012 08:22:57 MDT Print View

http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Fast-Trek%E2%84%A2-II-Full-Zip-Fleece/AM3039,default,pd.html

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Patagonia R1 on 03/23/2012 04:12:34 MDT Print View

Tried and true and still a great jacket. i think they are still making the full-zip sans hood.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 03/28/2012 23:23:28 MDT Print View

Today was at TNF outlet in Berkeley and found (the fleece I was looking for: TKA 80. Lighter micro fleece than anyone else (slightly lighter material than the Haglofs), stretch panels + sizing down one gets me the fit I was looking for. My only complaints are the unnecessary sleeve pocket… (what do people use these things for anyway) and the TNF logo and reflective piping, but you can't get everything. I actually is quite happy and like the extra long sleeve with thumb loops.

--Mark

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 04/01/2012 14:56:52 MDT Print View

Check this out at Eddie Bauer. Sounds like what you are looking for and it's even on sale :) Now I want one...

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=41533&se=1

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: looking for a full zip <=100wt micro fleece jacket on 11/04/2012 12:09:35 MST Print View

I just purchased the Eddie Bauer Fast Fleece jacket to which Dale linked to above. My men's small weighs in at 8.28 oz - not too bad for a full zip! I got mine in blue, which is very bright.