Max load for New golite Jam 70
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
Max load for New golite Jam 70 on 03/19/2012 11:15:08 MDT Print View

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Golite Jam 70 out?

Curious as to what type of weights it will handle.

Cheers,

Mike

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Same as 50L? on 03/20/2012 10:43:56 MDT Print View

The suspension is exactly the same on both bags, so they should top out at the same max weight.
Looking side-by-side at them in store, the difference between the 50 and 70 are solely volume. The 70 is deeper (from frame-sheet outward), and taller. It could possibly be wider from side to side, but its hard to tell with so little structure to the pack.

I tried them both with bean bags and they both got uncomfortable fast at >40lb. The 70 had a good bit of room to shift the weight around, the 50 was stuffed full. I'd say 35-ish is the max load for comfort.

In the end, I bought the 70, to take it home and test-fit it with my gear. I'm still on the fence whether its overkill or not. I can pretty easily fit all my gear in and the pack is below shoulder height, but it looks like a beach ball on my back. I can get it to stack much taller by limiting volume with the straps, but its a tetris game to get it all in and balanced.

Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
thanks on 03/30/2012 10:57:13 MDT Print View

thanks for the info

I am not able to try them out as i am in Alberta so have to order on line. Construction wise would it take a 60 lb load or would it come apart?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: thanks on 03/30/2012 11:14:20 MDT Print View

Won't come apart but 60 lbs is way, WAY too much for a frameless pack.

You need to reduce your load by about 1/2 if you want this pack.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: thanks on 03/30/2012 13:02:37 MDT Print View

If you are carrying 60#, why are you even looking at a pack without a frame? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I have a Pinnacle. I've been carrying 25-30# for training hikes. Would I recommend more than 30#? No.

Edited by reacttocontact on 03/30/2012 13:03:07 MDT.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Get a conventional. on 03/30/2012 14:13:47 MDT Print View

If you are in a position where 60 lbs is the required gear load, I share the above opinions: frameless packs are not for you. I would even go so far as to suggest that you shy away from any UL style pack, framed or not. Get something that has plastic or aluminum framestays and is made of heavier denier fabric. It will last longer.

Let's be real, if you are carrying 60lbs or even 50, you're never going to notice the weight difference of a 5lb pack vs a 2lb one, but your back and shoulders will thank you all day long with a rigid frame and some structure to the sack itself.

Out of curiosity, what on earth does that 60lb packing list look like?

Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
pack weight on 04/02/2012 09:32:46 MDT Print View

My pack weight is not anywhere near 60 lbs...more like 25-35 lbs for a weeks worth depending on the trip however...

Sometimes my pack is carrying more when I come out than when I went in ;) so I was curious if the pack could handle the weight. My wife has a pinnacle and it has packed some heavy loads without fail so I thought I would look at the new Jam for myself.

Normally I have a 6-7 lb pack that I am using for these trips but hate carrying a bag that is that heavy empty so I figured I would give a 2 lb pack a try.

Cheers,

Mike

Chris Chandler
(chandler325i) - MLife

Locale: lost angeles
27-28lb max weight in 2012 50L? on 06/13/2013 16:43:18 MDT Print View

Posting here since it's essentially the same pack.

Wondering what people's thoughts would be on the 2012 Jam 50 supporting a max weight of 27-28lbs for a trip to the Sierras in July?

I'm still refining my final list so it may lighten up a bit, but trying to have the foresight to get a different pack if I need to. Base weight will be around 12-12.5lbs (including a Bearikade Weekender, required), plus 8 days of food @ 1.5 PPD for another 12lbs. If I have a full 2L of water, that's where I'm up in the range of 28. I've done a 29lb test load using a sleeping bag and a 3-season tent to fill it, and then throwing in books to fill in the rest of the weight. I packed the books laying flat so that they (hopefully) wouldn't add any structural rigidity to the pack. I am unable to test it with the bear can because I'll be renting it and won't have it until right before the trip, but I know it is compatible (albeit just barely).

The pack fits me well, and seemed to carry surprisingly well, but carrying it around the neighborhood is much different than up and down mountains all day. I have not hiked in it to test because it's still new w/ the tags (and thus returnable)

To create my virtual frame, I use my 3/4 length Prolite. I pack it in a cylinder and face the valve up at the top. Pack everything in the middle, tighten the compression straps, then I puff a little bit of air into the pad. This configuration may change once I have a bear can in there; I'm not sure the pad will fit around it.

Factors:
- the Jam only cost me about $100 new (sale). If I don't use it, I'll probably shell out for a ULA Circuit or Catalyst, which no one ever sells used so that won't be cheap.
- I'm not a thru-hiker. 8 days of food is the most I'll ever carry; usually less
- Once I arrive and see water conditions, I may be able to only carry 1L of water at a time, but since I don't know for sure, I'm planning on 2L
- I'm 29 and fit, have moderately strong core and shoulders from entry-level rock climbing, but prefer situating the pack so most of the weight is on the plush new hipbelt design

Thoughts from those experienced--will I be miserable the first few days, or think it'll handle it?

Richard Reno
(scubahhh) - M

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
60 lbs.? on 06/13/2013 18:49:59 MDT Print View

60 lbs.?

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
@ Chris on 06/13/2013 21:20:37 MDT Print View

Why books, plural? Why not an e-reader, cell phone, ipad mini...etc where you can carry dozens of books for the weight of one, not to mention less space? I use a Nook, and while it weighs just slightly more than two standard paperbacks it's only 14 oz...and the Nook is one of the heavier e-readers. The batteries typically last for days.

Just a thought.

Edited by EagleRiverDee on 06/13/2013 21:21:42 MDT.

john hansford
(jhansford) - MLife
Bear can in a UL sack on 06/14/2013 00:51:49 MDT Print View

I carried a Bearikade Weekender inside a Miniposa sack two years running on the JMT.

The sack is 42 lt made of silnylon and mesh and I took the stays out to make the sack weigh only 15 ozs. The can is a snug fit within, and so the can itself provides a rigid frame. To prevent the bottom edge digging into my back, I sat it on my sleeping bag. This way I was able to carry 34 lbs which included 10 days food. Oddly enough it made for a very comfortable carry. Not bad for a 25 lbs rated sack.

The Bearikade is a looser fit in a Jam 50 lt but you can pad it out with clothing etc.

You don't always have to use a heavier framed sack for occasional heavy loads.

Chris Chandler
(chandler325i) - MLife

Re: @ Dena on 06/14/2013 00:57:33 MDT Print View

Dena--

I think you misunderstood me. I was using books, and a heavy tent and sleeping bag, just as weights to load the pack up to test it. I have one paperback book I'm going to have with me on the trail that I intentionally haven't read because it's a relatively small and light one haha. Just can't get behind reading a book on a screen. My deficiency

Chris Chandler
(chandler325i) - MLife

Re: Bear can in a UL sack on 06/14/2013 01:06:30 MDT Print View

Thanks, John, that's good to hear. I was doing some testing with a metal wastebasket that's close to the dimensions of a Weekender, but an inch wider in diameter. It did help create a rigid frame, but it also pushes the pack away from my back. I think using clothes and stuff to fill in around it like you say will work out the form fine. My concern is more with the pack handling the overall weight. A lot of folks STRONGLY urge 20-25 lbs max in the Jam

George Daniels
(WaldoACat)
All good under 30 Lbs on 06/14/2013 16:19:44 MDT Print View

Chris --

I started a 5-day Grand Canyon trip last month with approx. 35 Lbs in my Jam 50. Most of that was water/food weight. It held up OK on the first day -- although my shoulders suffered until I got the load adjusters dialed in. By the 2nd day, minus 3 liters of water (6.6 lbs) and a pound of food, it was not an issue.

Edited by WaldoACat on 06/14/2013 16:20:33 MDT.

Chris Chandler
(chandler325i) - MLife

Consensus so far on 06/15/2013 00:58:22 MDT Print View

Thanks John and George. I'm leaning towards John's advice that you don't ALWAYS have to carry a heavier pack for a heavier load. It seems like the consensus so far is that, if 25-30 lbs is the fully loaded day-1 pack weight that the Jam will suffice and it's not necessary to spring for a different pack.

Would love to hear back if people agree/disagree with that sentiment