Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dumb Things We've Done
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Dumb Things We've Done on 03/19/2012 09:38:07 MDT Print View

I was inspired by the life lesson thread that Douglas started. How about we share some of the dumber things we've done. Here's a couple of mine to serve as sourdough starter:

(1) Getting ready to ride the rails across the US in 1963. Knew I would sometimes be jumping from a moving train and wanted to practice before I went on the trip. Had a friend drive slowly along the sidewalk so I could jump out of his moving car for practice. Somehow I figured I should be facing backwards when I jumped from the car. Biiiiiiiiiiiig Mistake.

(2) Making rice krispie squares as a kid. Mixing the very hot molten marshmellows and rice krispies with a spoon was awkward and slow. On an implulse I dove my hands into the mixture with the intent to mix everything by hand. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig Mistake.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/19/2012 10:26:32 MDT Print View

Driving in the winter in Southern Oregon coast range.

Where you occasionally hear a story about someone getting stuck in the snow and dieing.

There was gradually more snow and no place to turn around so I just kept going, and then it got deeper and all of a sudden and I bottomed out and quickly stopped and couldn't back up.

Got chains out, which I had never used before, got them on, then I could back up and turn around. Plus someone came along with 4 wheel drive and high ground clearance. Plus I had a week's worth of food and plenty of water.

So maybe it wasn't totally dumb.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/19/2012 11:22:05 MDT Print View

Desert Storm ground hostilities had ended, and I had free time waiting for my unit's turn to go home. A buddy and I grabbed the office CUCV and headed into Kuwait City. Fascinating place right at the end of hostilities. Iraq really trashed it. Anyway, heading back to camp, we drove along the shoreline for a bit. We could see the barriers erected to stop/hinder any invasion by water, so we stopped and walked out onto the beach to get some pics. It was pretty cool. When we got back to camp and told another buddy, he looked at us a bit incredulously and said, slowly, "Those beaches are all mined....." Oof. Dumb and lucky beats plain ole dumb any day.....

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/21/2012 13:32:46 MDT Print View

Is it dumb if you don't know it?

Mine is similar to Doug's. I did some hiking in an area of the Chocolate Mountains. At the time, I did not know that 1,000 square miles of the area is closed to the public as it is an aerial gunnery range for the Navy.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/21/2012 13:57:29 MDT Print View

I bet if this was asked of our parents, there'd be 50 pages and 1,500 posts by now!

But for me, no, I can't think of anything dumb that I ever did... and my folks don't use computers. :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/21/2012 14:10:35 MDT.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
dumb things we've done on 03/21/2012 14:11:27 MDT Print View

I think my slap-on-the-forehead-dumb-moment was calling the fire department from inside my burning house. When my foot hit the front lawn the room I had been in a mere 2 minutes before, collapsed into the main floor. I mean, we could see our footprints being left in the floor where we had walked through and there I was arguing with the 911 operator that I had to go. Not my brightest moment... thankfully no one was hurt.

the house

However... my dumb actions started when I was merely 5. I took a crazy carpet (plastic sheet used for a toboggan) down a very icy, double-terraced hill. I went so fast down the first terrace that I was airborne over the second. It was totally wicked at the moment... until... I was going so fast that I ran right into a pine tree. Face first. I had to have my eyelash area reattached to the rest of my lid. 6 stitches and an emergency room visit later my Mom was giving me a lecture about why she said "no sledding" in the first place.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/21/2012 14:15:30 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Oh, quite a few on 03/21/2012 14:41:26 MDT Print View

This is just one, but a pretty good one :)
A couple of years ago I had a F150 automatic. You could not read if you were in Park, Drive, Reverse etc. Just had to remember , which was fine. I came back to the parked truck, turned the key and nothing would happen. Moved the shifter around , counting from steering wheel downward. Nothing. Popped the hood, grabbed a screw driver and jumped it from the solenoid. Except, the truck was in Drive and almost pinned me to the brick building 2 feet from the bumper . I never jumped so quick!
In retrospect it was a good thing that there was a wall that close, and the truck didn't just run off into a road.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Dumb and "Lucky'? on 03/22/2012 22:48:18 MDT Print View

"Lucky" might be added to these stories. I've read similar stories where people have been hurt or killed.

Don't try this at home!

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Just like Doug on 03/23/2012 15:04:08 MDT Print View

Wow. I have a Desert Storm story almost identical to Doug's. Similarly, we were out joyriding, but in a HMMWV. At one point we were doing slaloms along a high-tension power line. A few days later we were getting a briefing from the British EOD guys and their map showed everything west of the power line as mined...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/23/2012 15:23:11 MDT Print View

It was the DMZ in Korea during winter, and we were walking on patrol out and back. As we walked along, one South Korean soldier stopped at something beside the trail. He was kicking at it and trying to get it out of the ground, and the rest of us had walked up to see more closely what it was.

You guessed it. It was an old antipersonnel mine from the Korean War. Yikes. We moved back.

It had been half-buried there for 17 years, so it might or might not be deadly.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Dumb Things We've Done with Reptiles on 03/23/2012 15:43:26 MDT Print View

Hiking around Lake Chabot Regional Park (San Francisco East Bay) with a bunch of Boy Scouts. I see a gopher snake and reach down to pick it up to show the boys. Three things converge on my brain at the same time.

The pattern was wrong.

It felt too rough.

My brother shouted, "It's a rattlesnake!"

I had an internal "Aw S...!" reaction, leaped back and explained to the Scouts that you shouldn't go around picking up random snakes.

As with every rattlesnake I've ever harassed, it took every opportunity to head the other way and continued to do so.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 03/23/2012 17:29:41 MDT Print View

"Getting ready to ride the rails across the US in 1963. Knew I would sometimes be jumping from a moving train and wanted to practice before I went on the trip. Had a friend drive slowly along the sidewalk so I could jump out of his moving car for practice. Somehow I figured I should be facing backwards when I jumped from the car. Biiiiiiiiiiiig Mistake."

Oh Daryl. I really enjoyed this story. :)

Ryan

Rich Lillo
(sierrahiker) - F
Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 06/08/2012 18:12:56 MDT Print View

Thought I would resurrect this thread, there is some funny stuff here. Okay, here is mine.
I used to take teens on backpack trips with the youth pastor of my church. We would hike to a lake with a 30' cliff and jump and dive off (the water was plenty deep). One particular trip, after diving off a few times, I thought "hey, I'm going to try something different, I'll do a 1 1/2 somersault". The first dumb thing was telling everyone, the second dumb thing was following through with it. So I'm at the top of this cliff for quite some time before I hear, "Chicken, you chicken! DO IT, DO IT!" At that point I was committed. I'm standing on the edge, my toes dangling (the water seemed so much farther away this time). I jump off the edge, tuck my knees, I'm coming out of the tuck, "OOOH NO!" Splat! Belly flop from 30', flat on my face. My head pokes out of the water and everyone is laughing hysterically while I'm making obnoxious noises to try to get air back into my lungs. And I still have 100' or so to swim back to shoreline. Does anybody come out to help? Neiooow, they're too busy peeing their pants. Boy, did it sting. But, it really started hurting once I got out of the water and started laughing too.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Dumb Things We've Done on 06/08/2012 19:29:18 MDT Print View

Rich,

You'd be on youtube if you did it today.

Would you mind doing it again so we can all laugh?

Daryl

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Dumb Things We've Done on 06/09/2012 11:36:49 MDT Print View

The Dumbest thing I have ever done and was aided in my dumb action was 1977 when I was 16. I went to keg party had to get home before 10:00 p.m. Drank about 18 red plastic cups of beer in one hour.

Looked at my watch it was 9:40p.m. went to my first car a 67 Oldsmobile Cutlass could not get the key in the door lock because I was so drunk. I couple going to the party passing me help me out and put the key in door so I could unlock my car door. I get in start it and ran over 15 feet of chain link fence and took out 4 avocado trees and did not know it.

Made it home laid down while I watch my room spin and and was punished praying to the porcelain goddess. Did not know I took out the fence and avocado trees till the next morning with a irate call from the girl's who house the party was at . Luckily the 67 oldsmobile cutlass had a big metal bumper that is wedge shape so I did not have even a scratch on the car.

I made up for my mistake and fixed the fence and bought new avocado trees and planted them.
I never did drive drunk after that.

I have done thousand of dumb things in the pursuit of fun and work. But I always learned from the experience did not do it or tried it a different way till success.

Dumb thing are the way everybody learns and luckily I had parents who let me learn that way.
Terry

Joel Hulett
(jhalan) - F

Locale: Midwest
Watch this! on 06/09/2012 15:57:21 MDT Print View

This seem to be my code phrase for my wife calling 911!
Example 1.
My 30th year of life...
It was winter 3years ago. I had just gotten back from training in Canton and we had recieved 20" of snow! I couldn't wait I grabbed my step son who was 9 at the time and we headed for my favorite hill out at my grandparents house. After about 2hours of sliding down and walking up we took a break. At this point he was convinced I couldn't go down the hill standing on the sled, of course I disagreed knowing from past that this had been tried and achieved. I said "watch this" I then dropped down the hill like a skate boarder on a half pipe ridin' that puppy all the way down.
Well, I made it down alright, but we had gotten a lot of rain the spring before and at the bottom of the hill was once a small drainage ditch bump had now become more like a ditch on the side of the road. I basically ran straight into the hill and broke my knee cap. Not fun, but now seems a bit funny. dooped by a 9 year old my wife still rolls her eyes when the story is told.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Watch this! on 06/09/2012 16:08:35 MDT Print View

"I said "watch this" I then dropped down the hill like a skate boarder on a half pipe ridin' that puppy all the way down."

Ah, yes, the skateboarder's last words: "Dude, waaaatch this......." ;=)

Joel Hulett
(jhalan) - F

Locale: Midwest
Watch this! volume 2 on 06/09/2012 20:39:16 MDT Print View

I'm sure I said it other wise I wouldn't have ended up in the doctor's office.
In psudo haiku format for comic relief

birthday party
water balloon fight
sprinting in wet flip flops
spiral fractured fibia
steel grey space boot of shame
bone head!