Forum Index » GEAR » Lightweight Day Pack - What are some good options?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Ordered on 04/07/2012 17:59:45 MDT Print View

Hornet 24 in size M/L and used my 20% off coupon and dividend at REI. If I don't like it it can go back and I'll give something else a try. Hope to get it before next weekend and use it next weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

It's here on 04/11/2012 21:26:36 MDT Print View

The new Hornet 24 arrived today. First thing I did was take all the store tags off and weigh it, size M/L – 20.02 ounces, just what Osprey says it weighs. There are not really any meaningful items to cut off. The straps are all pretty short and even if I cut off the axe loop and the little pockets on the shoulder straps, they don’t account for much weight. That seems to be in the back padding and main compartment material.

Measured the back panel and it is 18.25”. The pack material is pretty heavy, seems more than 210D but I’m no judge of materials; I’d bet they could have cut significant weight using much lighter material and not doubling up in unneeded areas. There are four main compartments, the hydration compartment, the main compartment, a small zipped area at the top for keys and other small stuff you don’t want to lose in the pack body, and a mesh pocket on the front. There are two tiny pockets on the shoulder straps as well good for electrolyte packs. The torso is longer than the REI Stoke 19 and when the pack has got some weight in it, it doesn’t pull across your chest like the Stoke did. I’ll give the Hornet 24 a try this weekend and hopefully it’ll work for me. The pictures below are the pack with all items I may carry on a hike: l/s shirt, Montbell EXL, Dry Ducks jacket, Playtpus 3l, FAK, gloves, some energy bars, and a couple water bottles so you can see how the pockets were made too small. Looks like taller/skinnier bottles will work best and the compression strap can be used to hold them in place. With all this gear in the pack I still have plenty of room inside for more stuff if needed. Osprey says it is 1,465 CI or 24L. I assume that includes all the pockets on the pack. Compression is pretty good. So, this pack appears to have hit most of my criteria, a bit heavier than I wanted but it’ll do for now. More photos on the next page.

Hornet 24 Back Panel

Hornet 24 Front

Edited by WarrenGreer on 04/11/2012 21:36:06 MDT.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

More..... on 04/11/2012 21:34:05 MDT Print View

the other photos - figured it out.

Hornet 24 1

Hornet 24 compressed

Hornet 24 Front with water bottles

Hornet 24 Front with tall bottle

Hornet 24 Front with Gatorade bottle

Hornet 24 Front on floor

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

1st Impressions on 04/22/2012 19:15:20 MDT Print View

Went for a hike with a few friends from BPL out at Laguna Canyon this past Saturday. We did seven miles in some challenging terrain and I'm glad to report that on this first hike with the Hornet 24 I was pleased with its performance. The pack is very comfortable overall. On this hike total trail weight was around 6-7 lbs. according to my bath scale. The thin framesheet/pad worked as it should and the load floated on my hips nicely. I had a bladder and so I didn't get a chance to use the bottle pockets, which are my main concern. It's hard to tell from the manufacturers photos, but they are quite short and for the bottle to be stable in the pocket you need to use the compression strap to hold it securely. So next weekend I hope to give that a shot and see how it works. I was really hoping for pockets that could be easily accessed without too much fuss. But if that's the only thing that doesn't work then I guess I still got most of the tall list of options I wanted.

BTW - Was at REI on Friday and measured the Stoke 19 torso: 14-14.5". Would have been a neat pack to try out but that is just too short and uncomfortable even in the store. The Hornet 24 (m/l) has an 18.5' torso and that fit pretty good for me; my torso is 19".

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Lightweight Day Pack on 04/22/2012 19:55:24 MDT Print View

I'm glad you found what works for you! Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, and both are unfortunately rather a trial and error process.

While the women's Stoke 19 that I just got is fine for me as a spring/summer pack, I know I will need something a bit larger next winter when I of course have to carry more clothing and gear. It's too bad REI went to unisex for the Stoke packs--the Stoke 29 won't fit either you (too small) or me (too big)! It would be a nice pack otherwise!

It's amazing how heavy most day packs are! I do need some structure in a day pack, but not something that's over a pound heavier than my backpacking pack!

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Follow up on side pockets on 05/02/2012 20:36:56 MDT Print View

I used the Hornet 24 again this last weekend and got in some good miles with it. I have to say I really like this pack. The thin foam back pad works great and so the pack transfers all the weight to the hip belt. The shoulder straps are really just there to keep the pack from falling backwards. Just what I wanted. The only thing I’m not all the thrilled about is the short mesh side pockets. A taller water bottle seems to be the only choice here. And you need to wrap the compression strap around the top of the bottle to keep it from falling out of the pocket, but that worked fine. Even when I slipped in slick mud it stayed secure in the pocket. I wish that the pockets were a solid material and that I could get to them on the trail but I can’t. Just got to slow or stop. But I think I’m over that and I’m really just liking this pack, it has the basic features I was looking for. I think that if they were to use lighter weight material the pack could drop a few ounces and be just as tough. For those of you who are looking for a functional-featured lightweight daypack, the Hornet 24 should be considered.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Lightweight Day Pack - on 05/02/2012 21:18:09 MDT Print View

Interesting that after all the pessimism resulting from your initial post, you seem to have found exactly what you wanted!

Congratulations on your new pack!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/02/2012 21:23:57 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Follow up on side pockets on 05/02/2012 21:32:08 MDT Print View

I liked the side pockets on the beta version better. They went all the way up the side of the pack with a cut out on the bottom third for bottle access. Check my review

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=36330&skip_to_post=308536#308536

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Yes on 05/02/2012 23:52:19 MDT Print View

Mary, you are right. Pretty cool pack. Thanks for the kind words.

Ken, that 46 tester did have some big side pockets. Now the 2012 model has none it appears. Weird. I guess the 24 is a bit shorter so it was hard to make the pockets taller. Or maybe it is that is looks more sexy in the photos with the shorter pocket, which looks more proportionally correct (even if it is too short). I didn't get that from the photos before I bought it.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Yes on 05/03/2012 07:05:13 MDT Print View

Warren- have you considered using Platy bottles? they are flatter than most bottles and might fit those side pockets better???

I think the 46 still comes w/ the taller side pockets

Mike Feldman
(MikeF)

Locale: SE USA
Osprey Talon 22 or 33 on 05/03/2012 07:20:41 MDT Print View

I doubt you are going to find a well padded day pack under 16 ounces, if I understand what you mean by well padded. That said you may want to consider the most comfortable Osprey Talon 22, or 33. The 33 is 2000CI, though I dont think the front pocket, and side pockets are counted by Osprey, another 275-300 CI. Same with the 22. My Talon 33 is very comfortable and well padded.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

I'm happy on 05/03/2012 19:22:08 MDT Print View

Mike F, for what it is, the Hornet 24 is a great little pack.Plenty of support and pad. I'm gonna stick with it for now. Don't want anything heavier than the 20 oz' the Hornet weighs.

I could have Chris Zimmer or Joe @ ZPacks make a lighter pack, and I may still do, but I'm gonna use the Hornet for a good while before trying to drop any more weight for day hiking purposes. It already feels pretty light as it is.