Hitches, knots, or tools?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Hitches, knots, or tools? on 03/18/2012 21:15:15 MDT Print View

I went and set up my new hammock setup today and I set up my tarp tied directly to the tree, and ran into some trouble finding proper torsioning.... so I need to come up with a new method. So my question is how do most of you guys torsion your tarps? I might be able to use the carabiner that my whoopie slings attach to to rig my hammock, as an attachment point, but I'm not sure what knot to use that will be effective on the small gauge line that I use for guyouts.

Help!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hitches, knots, or tools? on 03/18/2012 22:16:03 MDT Print View

Are you using a separate piece of line at each end of the tarp or a continuous ridge line? And I'm guessing you mean tensioning. Do you know what you are using for guyline?

Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Re: Re: Hitches, knots, or tools? on 03/18/2012 22:18:36 MDT Print View

I DO mean tensioning...

I'm using separate pieces of line at each end for the ridgeline. I also have the side guyouts, but I usually just do those with a clove hitch, then move the stakes to tighten later on.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hitches, knots, or tools? on 03/18/2012 22:23:15 MDT Print View

So what exactly is the problem? Tying off to the tree? Have you though about using a ridge line and attaching the tarp to it using prussiks? I like to use lines/ropes only with my hammock suspension.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Hitches, knots, or tools? on 03/18/2012 22:29:06 MDT Print View

You can't get enough tension, or you can't find the right balance of tension? If it's the former, I suspect it's because you can't grip the thin line well enough. One way to grip the line and move the tensioner knot to get the right line tension is to use a prussik on the line to grip and pull the line while tensioning it.

Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Tensions on 03/18/2012 23:04:32 MDT Print View

I have NOT thought about using a single rope line with a prussik setup for the ridgeline... interesting thought.
Though I still run across a problem of actually getting the line nice and tight between the two trees... I haven't yet gotten a tautline hitch to work once on a rope, and it really doesn't like the smaller gauge lines.

The one thing I worry about a little in using a rope & prussik setup, is that I can't just grab my tarp and use it with my bivy if it's cold out.

Maybe I'm just using line too small... it came with my tarp from oware...

stephen jennings
(obi96) - F

Locale: Deep in the Green Mountains
Tight lines on 04/01/2012 23:02:36 MDT Print View

A prussic works best when the prussic cord is tied onto a rope of a larger diameter. When it is tied onto its self, a good result can be achieved when at least three wraps per side of the load rope/cord are used. Tie the prussic, then slide it out to tension it. This can be difficult to release when over tightened, wet or frozen.
What has worked for me is to pull a bight through on the last wrap to create in effect a slipknot. Just pull the loose end to release the knot.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Taut line hitch on 04/02/2012 07:55:59 MDT Print View

I used the taut line hitch successfully many times with small diameter stuff, including on my tarp in 50 mph wind. When you pass the end of your rope back through the overhand knot to finish the knot, the path and direction of this pass is tricky but its critical.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
re: Taut-line htch on 04/02/2012 22:23:00 MDT Print View

Instructions for the taut-line hitch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

and for the prussic or prusik knot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

Edited by Surf on 04/02/2012 22:28:37 MDT.