Cuben Tape Question
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Cuben Tape Question on 03/17/2012 15:24:29 MDT Print View

I am about to make some Cuben gear. This will be my first time working with the product. I was just in a Kinkos like store and was asking about banner tape. They had nothing on the shelf but the guy sold me a partial roll of the stuff he had behind the counter for next to nothing. This is the tape they use for the work they do and is not for sale retail in this store. Unfortunately we have no idea of the brand. I tried it out on some Tyvek and it sure stuck. Do you in the know think this is a good indicator that it will work on Cuben?

Thank you,

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Cuben Tape Question on 03/17/2012 18:18:46 MDT Print View

Cuben doesn't have a problem with things sticking to it. As with any adhesive tape, you want one that exhibits good long term characteristics without creeping.

I am interested in this tape that stuck to tyvek. Can you tell more about it?

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
More info on 03/17/2012 18:58:44 MDT Print View

Eugene,

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about it. It is a 1" wide banner tape. (I plan to ripthe roll down to 1/2" on the band saw.) You stick it down and pull off the white covering and then stick stick whatever to that side. I picked it up at Kinkos/Fedex in Missoula. Neither the team member that sold it to me or the 1800 national number could give me any info on the brand. Since it is not a retail Item I am not sure if it would be available again.

I adhered two pieced of Tyvek as a test. The Sheer Strength was enough that I couldn't separate the piece at all. The peel strength is enough that the tyvek separated when pulled apart. That was after letting it set for 2 hours.

I ordered a yard of Cuben from Lawson. I'll try it out on some stuff sacks. If they hold up I'll go for some rain gear. If they fail I will sew them.