MYOG M50/Apex 2.5 42" 10.7 oz summer quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
MYOG M50/Apex 2.5 10.7 oz summer quilt on 03/17/2012 12:32:16 MDT Print View

I formerly owned the BPL UL 60 quilt, but unfortunately it was way too narrow. I’m a side sleeper with wide shoulders and couldn’t get it to tuck under my neoair short. I was bummed out because I wanted a UL quilt that could go down to 35-50 with proper layering.
So I made a M50/Apex 2.5 MYOG quilt for this summer. It took me a long time but I made it very carefully. The top width is 56 inches wide and the foot box is spacious. I used the smallest shock cord from Z-packs for the neck synch, low profile buckles with elastic for the bottom synch’s. The total weight is 10.70oz. Thanks for those that offered links to quilt info references in my other threads.

q

qq

qqq

qqqq

Edited by KalebC on 06/04/2013 11:38:46 MDT.

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: MYOG M50/Apex 2.5 46" 10.7 oz summer quilt on 03/17/2012 13:16:49 MDT Print View

Looks nice - Paul definitely has the shiznick.

I did two syn quilts last year using T-H rip & Apex. This year, I'm almost finished with the down version. Incidentally, it has the same exact M50 color combo as yours, so I'm pretty stoked to see how it will look when complete.

Btw, is there a reason why you rolled the hem with syn? Typically, you can just sew 3 sides a la pillowcase, then flip right-side out and stabilize. In my case, I'm using a karo baffle system (what Tim Marshall @ Enlightened uses), so I'll be rolling the hem as well. (I think I'm going to fold the blue over the black.)

PS - Don't you want the black taffeta on the inside? That is, reverse the quilt?

Edited by Hobbesatronic on 03/17/2012 13:18:03 MDT.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: MYOG M50/Apex 2.5 46" 10.7 oz summer quilt on 02/26/2013 21:55:25 MST Print View

Nice quilt. I've been thinking about making a similar one for summer.

How do you like the sewn footbox? I was contemplating on sewing mine differently - sew the bottom 18" together, to create a tube, then flatten the tube, and sew both edges of the bottom of the tube together. This would essentially be a "flat" footbox - see Zpacks bags. What are your thoughts based on experience with your quilt so far?

Also, where did you get the low-profile clips and elastic?

Edited by lindahlb on 02/26/2013 22:24:41 MST.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 02/26/2013 22:33:24 MST Print View

I like the foot box the way I did it because it was simple and easy. The quilt has worked great, I took it on the Rae lakes loop and it was surprisingly warm, but I was in my MYOG cuben/ eVent bivy. I can't quite picture your description of how you want your footbox. I got the elastic from Walmart and the clips from the rainshed if I remember correctly, they are common you could source them. Thanks for the comments.

Matthew Hoskin
(mattgugel)

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP
QUILT on 02/27/2013 00:56:08 MST Print View

WOW - really nice, slick quilt, looks great well done.
What pattern did you use?