Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Deodorant in a chapstick tube
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 12:26:34 MDT Print View

When I backpack alone, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. When I backpack with my girlfriend, I shave, wash my face, take cat baths, and wear unscented deodorant. In the past, I have always just broken a piece off of a deodorant stick, put it in a little bag, and applied it with my fingers. I found myself thinking recently, as I wiped deodorant off my fingers, "Wouldn't it be handy to have a tiny deodorant stick, with a cap?"

Just melt a little bit of solid unscented deodorant in the microwave and pour it into an empty chapstick tube. Maybe someone has already invented this.

stick

stick open

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 12:32:44 MDT Print View

Very clever. I haven't seen this idea before.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 12:42:58 MDT Print View

Ha! Very nice. Probably last 3-4 days?

Ryan

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 12:56:35 MDT Print View

I have done this but if you use these smaller push up chapsticks it is easier to fill and lighter(look at the two packs in center of photo,it comes with one regular size and one smaller sample size)the smaller sample size is a push up tube instead of the usual twist up.I also replace the chapstick with a different one I like better.There is no need to melt it.

http://www.dollartree.com/health-personal-care/bath-products/Beauty-Supplies-Cosmetics/Chap-Ice-Lip-Balm/211c243c351p5588/index.pro?method=search

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 14:25:29 MDT Print View

Couldn't find the one you recommended but this seller has empty tubes. I just bought a complete kit on sale at e-bay. Nice that they are clear so you can see what's left.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180817184476#ht_536wt_1085

Edited by Meander on 03/17/2012 14:29:04 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/17/2012 14:46:31 MDT Print View

Great idea. I've seen the same thing done with shaving soap.

Another great item is a small block of alum or an alum stick. It's truly a versatile item with many multi uses:

Deodorant, aftershave, antiseptic (great for scrapes etc).

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Alternative to carrying deodorant on 03/18/2012 04:36:50 MDT Print View

Clever! When I'm trying to be less offensive on trips, I use these deodorant towelettes I found at minimus.biz. They're pretty small, light and work well. Despite what the name implies, there's no real scent. (no offense to UL'ers in LA, of course) ;)

Minimus.biz - LA Fresh Deodorant Wipes

LA Fresh

Don Meredith
lightpack.blogspot.com

Edited by donmeredith on 03/18/2012 04:37:32 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Alternative to carrying deodorant on 03/18/2012 04:51:43 MDT Print View

I like having something I can refill without the garbage ,what are the chemicals listed for the wipe?I use a natural one that I know I won't have an allergic reaction to.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Deodorant Wipes on 03/18/2012 05:01:22 MDT Print View

Anna, you can find the ingredients on the product website. It has the typical list of contents that we're all accustomed to. They actually did a nice job with the waste management element. The pouch and the wipe itself are thin, minimalist materials without being so thin that they're fragile. The towel is biodegradable according to the packaging. I probably use them 3x a year since I don't bother to carry them most trips. I can still manage to look at myself in the mirror. ;)

As always, the lightest and lowest impact solution is to not carry any at all. It's ultimately an unnecessary vanity product.

DM

Edited by donmeredith on 03/18/2012 05:03:43 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Deodorant Wipes on 03/18/2012 05:26:48 MDT Print View

I generally use mine to put my favorite chapstick in since it is smaller and I don't like the ones that you have to use your fingers to apply.I have occasionally used it to for deodorant but I couldn't find the contents on the site you gave,I will look again.I have had allergic reactions to some deodorants so if I do decide to bring it I know I am safe.So you bring a mirror to look at yourself? interesting :)

Edited by annapurna on 03/18/2012 05:28:39 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Deodorant in a chapstick tube" on 03/18/2012 07:43:29 MDT Print View

Wow, you must have some tiny pits.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: "Deodorant in a chapstick tube" on 03/18/2012 07:56:23 MDT Print View

I am very small 5' and my weight fluctuates between 100 and 107lb

Jack Hoster
(OrlandoHanger) - F
Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/18/2012 23:35:39 MDT Print View

You wouldn't want to get it mixed up with your real chapstick. Dry lips and glossy pits.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Great idea! on 03/19/2012 08:06:31 MDT Print View

If you wanted something slightly larger I suppose you could do the same thing with one of these. With friction block the weight on my scale is 25 grams or .9 oz.

Friction Block

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Deodorant in a chapstick tube on 03/21/2012 13:34:49 MDT Print View

"When I backpack alone, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. When I backpack with my girlfriend, I shave, wash my face, take cat baths, and wear unscented deodorant."

When I am NOT backpacking, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. However, I do take a shower occasionally. :)

Ron White
(roddyrat) - M

Locale: Southern Indiana
Great Idea on 08/05/2012 19:27:52 MDT Print View

I just made one today very easy. I shaved some of my regular deodorant into a small container and microwaved for only a few seconds and it was melted. Poured it into an empty chapstick tube and viola it was done! Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks.

Rob Daly
(rdaly) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
cool on 08/06/2012 06:03:01 MDT Print View

Another cool idea on the forum. Let us know how it works out.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
chap on 08/13/2012 19:32:55 MDT Print View

Just make your girlfriend doesn't mistake it for chapstick and use it after you.. yuck

in1

Edited by JasonG on 04/06/2013 17:16:27 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
How about liquid deodorant? on 08/13/2012 22:23:45 MDT Print View

I found a recipe:

1/4 cup aloe vera gel
1/4 cup mineral water
1/4 cup Witch Hazel Extract
1 tsp vegetable glycerin
a few drops of essential oils (antibacterial in nature)
(lavender, tee tree oil, etc)

You could take the liquid out of a bottle of roll-on too.

Then it is just the UL trick of decanting to the smallest possible container.

Personally, I take a sponge bath at the end of the day: a little Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap, warm water and a microfiber washcloth. Feels great and I'm sure it makes me more socially acceptable :)

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Deodorant: Pit rock on 08/13/2012 23:42:40 MDT Print View

In a similar vein I cut a disc from a stick of Pit Rock (UK name?) and keep it in an REI pill container - 14g - so far it has lasted three years of trips (I only take it on longer walks of a week plus).