Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Miserable Environment: The Worst Conditions?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
Klinky Pine on 02/19/2007 01:45:18 MST Print View

Ah, I see....

Well a Klinky Pine is a type of Auracaria tree, a 80-90 m PNG version of a monkey puzzle tree.

Erin McKittrick
(mckittre) - MLife

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska
Re: Miserable Environment: The Worst Conditions? on 02/22/2007 14:19:37 MST Print View

I was out on the Olympic Coast this past weekend actually. Unfortunately for your potential gear testing experiment, there were some beautiful patches of sun. However there were also periods of blowing hail and driving rain (very squally weather).

sea spires on the olympic coast

For this "worst conditions in the lower 48" are you going for just weather (on trails), or are you also including bushwhacking (tough on a lot of light gear)?

-Erin
some more pics from the Olympic Coast on my blog

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Opposite on 03/30/2007 08:10:42 MDT Print View

You could do the exact opposite and do the Big Bend area or Guadalupe Peak area in Texas in August.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
yes, include coastal on 03/30/2007 16:02:50 MDT Print View

If your focus is on how well the gear serves, I agree that I'd include some coastal hiking (the Olympics can offer that too of course). You get salt water impact on gear, lots of wind, different types of conditions to pitch your shelter in, even different wildlife issues.

Now, another class of "miserable" involves plant and animal/insect life ... poison oak, ticks/mosquitos/gnats, etc etc ...