Because studying for finals is boring, I finally threw the door/zipper on my tarptent project. This was my first go at a shelter, and I used Henry Shires online instructions. I added two simple modifications-
- 106" ridgeline length (I'm 6'5")
- 18" netting all around, so in nicer weather I can prop both sides up and increase peak height as well
I needed a solo shelter for summer in the cascades, as the only tent we currently own is a lunar duo (which I love). I wanted it to be cheap, simple, and mosquito proof. Total cost of materials was roughly 65$.
The ridgeline is a flat felled seam using a 3-step zigzag stitch, and it seems bomber. I used the 3step on all the seams, we will see how that works out with getting a taught pitch.
Weight of shelter without pegs or groundsheet- 15.8oz
I set it up in the yard to see how the interior was, and took a couple crappy cell phone pictures. It's pretty windy/rainy out so I tested out the "storm mode" pitch with the sides at the ground, and it was still pretty roomy inside.
Overall I'm stoked on it. I still need to decide on how I want the side tie off points attached, and will probably put a beak on it at some point, although I'm interested to see how the netting deals with wind blown rain. With the weather we are having currently I should be able to test it out in poor conditions easily enough!