Yes, I agree -- that does happen.
Just as an FYI for Canadian's, apparently with the Canadian Patagonia stores and patagonia.ca address (which lacks the Web Specials) -- apparently its a new policy that Patagonia USA will not ship at sale pricing to Canada.
That 'ticks' me off:
1) they have always up till now done this (shipping is about 23-30);
2) it comes from the same warehouse;
3) They have end of season sales in there stores but NOT patagonia.ca;
4) commercially NA is increasingly working as in integrated market place. As a long-time fan of the brand, who wears their cloths nearly everyday, and as a Canadian -- this 'ticks' me the &%$# off.
5) It 'ticks' me the hell off - but its easy to avoid with freight forwarding, ect. This seems like a shortsighted choice to tick off established customers.
OK - rant over.