Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best stove under $75

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Valve settings and handles on 03/16/2012 06:50:14 MDT Print View

You can also just unhook one side of the wire handle and it too will lay flat against the stove.

My Giga has always folded fine.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Gigastove on 03/16/2012 08:23:11 MDT Print View

I have the Ti Giga without the piezo. Best canister stove I've ever owned, it's served me well for over 4 years with no maintenance. Don't let turning the handle to fold and store it discourage you, it's hardly a big deal. Who doesn't check to make sure the valve isn't open on any stove before screwing it onto a canister?

Giga GS(T)100 scored amongst the lowest on monoxide emissions of every canister stove tested.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_3.html

Some comparable stoves tested nearly (or even over) 100 times higher in CO2 output. Compare it on the chart with the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Gigastove on 03/16/2012 09:37:22 MDT Print View

I havea Gigastove, great stove, but I never use it:

For trips where I want/need to minimize weight, I use an alcohol stove or esbit. For trips where I don't (car camping, overnighters, canoe trips, etc) I use an MSR Dragonfly. I really dislike having to buy the canisters, and having a pile of half-full canister sitting around. White gas and alcohol (I use methanol) is cheap and you can refill your own containers, that aspect of both fuels is a real selling point for me.

For $75, I think a free-ish MYOG alcohol stove, and a used MSR whitegas stove cover all your bases: you have a lightweight system, a winter snow melting system, a large-group system, a car camping system.

Just my two cents.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Best stove under $75 on 03/16/2012 10:21:45 MDT Print View

A campfire or small twig fire...

Because the best stove is none, Cost, weight, and fuel weight is zero.

I know that's not always possible though, which is probably why you've posted this question in the first place. :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Giga on 03/16/2012 16:29:28 MDT Print View

the Giga is simple, light, hardy and reasonably priced- tough combo to beat

I do use a 4 Dog wood stove quite often for solo use (burning both wood & Esbit), but it takes a little more prep work and boiling times are slower than a canister stove

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Best stove under $75 on 03/16/2012 17:26:11 MDT Print View

"Any recommendations are greatly appreciated."

Primus Micron. Excellent fuel efficiency if you keep it out of the wind. $55 for the Ti version, which is lighter than my old model. Only downside is high CO output, but I never cook in a tent anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.

Michael Bailey
(mbailey729) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Best stove under $75 on 03/21/2012 07:24:34 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever used an Olicamp stove? If so, how did you like it? I saw one in the Backpacker Gear Guide and wanted to get some additional info on it. Thanks

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Best stove under $75 on 03/26/2012 11:43:53 MDT Print View

Has anyone ever used an Olicamp stove? If so, how did you like it? I saw one in the Backpacker Gear Guide and wanted to get some additional info on it. Thanks
Backpacker Gear Guide? Gear guide? Harumph. What kind of gear guide includes only two stoves, and not even one small upright canister stove? My, my, how comprehensive. Harumph.

Having gotten my grousing out of the way, Olicamp generally makes decent stuff, but I haven't seen that actual stove.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving