November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rain Chaps
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick E.
(trAletrasch) - F

Locale: PNW
Rain Chaps on 03/14/2012 16:02:30 MDT Print View

Hello everyone

i am making a pair of rain chaps and i am about to order fabric but i have no idea which will make the best fabric...a bit more on the durable side would be best, i dont mind a few extra grams for the sake of keeping salal and trailside bramble at bay.

i plan on ordering from DIY gear suppy they have some silny 1st's i was considering

if any experts here have advice it would be much appreciated!

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Rain Chaps on 03/14/2012 16:39:18 MDT Print View

I made mine from some 1.3 sil I had leftover from making a new tarp. My wife had a peasant dress that I used as a basic model (in terms of proportions relative to my size). I left the bottom hem open so that I could deal with the waist & fit. Once I had it hitched up to were I felt comfortable, then I started on the length.

I knew I'd want the length below my knees, but not down around my ankles. I walked around a bit, put a foot up on a bench to mimic climbing, etc, till I was happy with the length, coverage & flexibility.

Total weight is 1.8oz. I use a 10oz pullover Torrentshell for the top, so my rain gear is 12oz. I know other solutions like a poncho or Driducks are lighter, but I like the fit & utility of my gear, especially since I use the TS as a windshirt along with an R1 top.