Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 12:51:46 MDT Print View

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bear-grylls-man-vs-wild-canceled-discovery-298648

Discovery Channel has terminated its relationship with Bear Grylls, the British television personality and star of the network’s Man vs. Wild. The severing of the relationship, which began back in 2006 when Man vs. Wild launched on Discovery, comes after the network has allegedly been unable to get Grylls to participate in two unannounced projects he was contracted for, say sources. The sixth season of Man vs. Wild wrapped in August.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 12:53:23 MDT Print View

You browse the hollywood reporter?

;)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:02:22 MDT Print View

absolutely ... all those hawt movie starlets ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:08:57 MDT Print View

My heart is broken :)

It was a stupid, contrived program and I only watched it a couple times.

I occasionally watch and enjoy the Les Stroud, Survivorman series.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
cherio! on 03/14/2012 13:17:19 MDT Print View

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:17:31 MDT Print View

Good.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:20:55 MDT Print View

http://qkme.me/3ob8k8

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:22:32 MDT Print View

Come on guys. How many shows will show the watcher how to make a seal shirt out of a dead seal. I mean really. How many?

Just goes to show what a good knife can do.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:33:26 MDT Print View

+1 what Nick said.

My father was in special ops while he was in the army. He served in Nam and in the first gulf war. As such, he taught me a lot of good survival knowledge, theory, technique, etc.

What I'd like to know is how anyone is going to end up in the middle of nowhere without any cell phone and proper gear. If you are stuck in the middle of the wilderness with nothing but a knife, either you have failed on so many different levels, or through some very rare string of events were extremely unlucky (I dunno, like, you are a soldier in a warzone and have to run for your life into the wild and didn't have time to take any gear with you other than what you had on you).

Les Stroud on the other hand, tried to make it so that the premise of each episode was more realistic (though some of them were pushing it a bit).

Survival info is great to know, but more importantly: do your best not to get yourself into a situation where you have to eat bugs and drink pee so you don't die. If you go into remote nature with the clothing on your back and a knife, you deserved everything nature will throw at you.

L Miller
(LMiller) - F

Locale: Maryland
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:47:12 MDT Print View

I don't really get the hate on Bear. I know people here like to consider themselves "real" outdoorsmen and Bear not, but the show is definitely entertaining -- a lot more so than the tedium that is watching Les Stroud walk past a camera for an hour.

I probably won't skin a snake and pee in it's skin so I could later drink my own urine or squeeze a cow pie for "water", but it's hilarious to watch someone else do it!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 13:51:04 MDT Print View

Les goes out by himself for a number of days and actually survives

Bear is more entertainment - at the end of each day he goes to some prepared shelter.

He does outragous things just to make entertaining TV.

On the other hand, read his book about climbing Mount Everest. And his special forces background. He's definitely a "bad ARSENIC dude".

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Re: Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 14:17:58 MDT Print View

I agree he is a no BS bada$$ in reality. I think he show is at best stupid entertainment, at worse reckless mis-information.

All the jumping over deadly crevasse, climbing down 150' of slick rock on vines is awful. You can go to youtube and see that he had safety ropes, safety climbers staged all around him. Portraying that he actually did it unassisted as if it is reality and a good thing to do is terrible.

I saw an episode where he jumped into a freezing river on a rotten log, rode the river down a ways, crawled out, got on shore and then said to start moving to work up body heat. Shortly thereafter he saw some "wild horses", made a rope out of vines I think, and went and tried to rope one and ride it (I think he got on but fell off). He said that you normally want to stay dry when it is cold out but sometimes you have to just get across a river to make it to rescue.

Telling people that in a survival situation it is sometimes necessary or okay to scale down wet, slippery 150' rock walls on vines, jump in freezing cold raging river, and lasso wild horses is just reckless and could get someone killed.

This might be comparable to if Guns and Ammo had a show about firearm safety that instructed people that it was sometimes okay to clean a loaded gun while pointing it at your face.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 15:09:57 MDT Print View

I seriously doubt that is the reason Dicovery channel is severing their relationship.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 16:33:05 MDT Print View

What the article doesn't say is that he is to be replaced by hard core, gear shredding, gnarly dude Eric Chan. In the first episode he is pursued across the wilderness by a gang of Patagonia clad yuppies and survives by eating dead birds.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 17:02:20 MDT Print View

Jason,

Now that is funny!

:)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/14/2012 17:06:56 MDT Print View

Another +1 for Good riddance.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/15/2012 00:01:56 MDT Print View

i wish ... then i could get all those hawt outdoor groupies chasing after me ... shredding my base layers off with their hands ;)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/15/2012 00:40:37 MDT Print View

Eric Chan.

A man and his dream.

--B.G.--

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Eric Chan; the NEW Bear Grylls on 03/15/2012 07:31:34 MDT Print View

Eric Chan.

A man with a dream, and gummie bears.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Discovery Terminates Relationship With 'Man vs. Wild' Star Bear Grylls on 03/15/2012 08:51:05 MDT Print View

Hmmm, a kind of "Red Green Survival" with lots of duct tape, eh? We could buy Eric Chan knives at Canadian Tire! The mind boggles!!!

EC knife