Webbing Observation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Webbing Observation on 03/14/2012 12:51:40 MDT Print View

Assuming things are otherwise equal I typically choose to use the narrowest webbing that will work in my buckles....to save weight.

A recent weighing of some webbing samples suggests that my assumption needs to be reconsidered.

I measured three samples of nylon webbing and found the following:

3/8" wide = 9 grams per yard
1/2" wide = 8 grams per yard
5/8" wide = 7 grams per yard

Each sample was a bit different from the others but they were all of sufficient thickness to work well in buckles.

At this rate of weight decrease per width I think 1.5" wide webbing might weigh near zero grams. Haven't verified this, however.

Makes my back hurt to think that I might have chosen to carry several yards of the needlessly heavy 3/8" stuff by incorporating it into one of my backpack projects.

Edited by lyrad1 on 03/14/2012 19:59:38 MDT.

Scott Littlefield
(sclittlefield) - F

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine
clips on 03/14/2012 13:26:30 MDT Print View

Go big or go home, right?

I do wonder though if the weight savings of appropriately sized hardware for the smaller webbing more than makes up for the webbing weight. I hope to be getting both 1/2" and 3/8" webbing, along with buckles for it, in soon. Do you have spares that you can weigh compared to comparable 3/4" or 1" buckles?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: clips on 03/14/2012 13:45:45 MDT Print View

try the same type of webbing in multiple sizes and size and weight should be directly related. Different weaves of webbing can vary significantly in weight.

-Tim

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: clips on 03/14/2012 13:49:56 MDT Print View

maybe Scott could confirm? i think he might have some webbing.

-Tim

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: clips on 03/14/2012 19:58:22 MDT Print View

Tim,

I agree. These webbings are quite different from each other.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: clips on 03/14/2012 20:14:10 MDT Print View

Scott,

I agree. I have some 1/2" buckles that are about half the weight of my 5/8" buckles and I have some 3/8" buckles that are about half the weight of the 1/2" buckles.

I haven't found any webbing that works well with my 3/8" ykk side release adjustable buckles. Will be interested to hear how your 3/8" buckles work out.

Daryl

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Webbing Observation on 03/15/2012 10:47:53 MDT Print View

Most 3/8 inch webbing is thicker than normal flat weave 5/8 or 3/4 inch webbing . The reason for the thicker weave is rock climbers use 3/8 inch webbing for different climbing aids the weave needs to be thick to take the same weight as a wider flat weave webbing.

I have webbing question I have been trying to track down thicker herring bone texture cross grain ribbon like Mountain Hardware uses on their packs. So I can use the ITW Nexus wave lock buckles.
I use to be able to get all over place 20 years ago.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 03/15/2012 10:52:52 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
weights and weighing on 03/17/2012 21:17:28 MDT Print View

Daryl,
Since I got the My Weigh mini precision scale a couple years ago, I am constantly surprised by the weights of the little items we use to make packs and tents. So everything gets weighed before use, and if on the high side, alternatives are sought. The only down side is that while these items are cheap individually, they add up and the costs (including shipping) are felt after a while. The weights of all those little items add up in the same way, also, when incorporated into the gear.

Terry,
You may be refering to what is often called 'twill tape.' I found some at Green Pepper in a size not carried by any of the more popular sources (OWF, Quest etc.)
You can never tell till you order it if it will work in the buckle you want. Sort of a crapshoot, but gambling can be fun with MYOG if not too much $ are at stake.