The profanity filter here is absurd
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben F
(tekhna) - F
The profanity filter here is absurd on 03/14/2012 12:05:59 MDT Print View

I can't post the name of atomic number 33 because of the profanity filter? Are you kidding me? Couple it with the fact that it doesn't even filter the title or subject lines and it's hardly functional. Fix it or don't bother. We're big kids, we can handle a few no-no words.

Absurdity

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 12:08:21 MDT Print View

ARSENIC. There.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 12:09:10 MDT Print View

Oh man, if you just capitalize it that's enough to slip around the filter? Why bother, BPL administrators? It just makes you look silly.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 12:09:46 MDT Print View

Shhhhhhh! :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/14/2012 12:16:30 MDT.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 12:45:50 MDT Print View

Does it work for the F-word? Oh yes it does.

How come my excessive bumping thread is gone? I quit.

Edited by reacttocontact on 03/14/2012 12:46:45 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 12:52:53 MDT Print View

This thread will be as well if you keep up with the profanity. That's just the way it is.

"We're big kids, we can handle a few no-no words."

No, actually, we're not. There are plenty of impressionable young people who read these forums, we're told, so the moderators, while they allow the envelope to be pushed a bit, won't let it get out of hand. FWIW.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: The profanity filter here is absurd on 03/14/2012 13:16:02 MDT Print View

And so what about Arsenic did you want to talk about? Or is this a pointless thread just to Bitch bout something we are all aware of?

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 13:16:25 MDT Print View

Sorry, I don't buy it that impressionable young people are reading this forum. Or if there are, not many.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/news_cut/archive/2012/03/the_aging_of_the_bwca_visitor.shtml
I'd be willing to bet this demographic trend holds true for all of hiking and backpacking.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Re: The profanity filter here is absurd on 03/14/2012 13:17:18 MDT Print View

Ken, isn't that the point of chaff? To Bitch about stuff we're all aware of?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 13:19:17 MDT Print View

It doesn't really matter what you're willing to buy, to be honest. This is a private site, and the person/people who own it don't want a lot of profanity on it. It's their site and they can make that rule.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch... on 03/14/2012 13:42:55 MDT Print View

And...someone said in the gear swap forum about wishing a shirt was a medium. So I said that I happened to have one and THAT was deleted.

It's been real people, but I gotta go. I'll be darned if I'm going to have my first amendment rights taken away by a forum moderator. Oh I'd be even more p***ed if I paid for a membership.

Bump, over and out.

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
Loss of the Excessive Bumping Thread on 03/14/2012 15:18:31 MDT Print View

I'll admit I was upset when I found that the moderators had deleted the Excessive Bumping thread. I don't remember any significant profanity in the thread, just some very clever banter. If the moderators thought people were stepping over the line, why not just post a warning instead of just abruptly yanking the thread? I certainly am less inclined to post if I feel my words may abruptly vanish at any time for no apparent reason.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Loss of the Excessive Bumping Thread on 03/14/2012 15:40:11 MDT Print View

bump.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Well? on 03/14/2012 17:20:11 MDT Print View

Is BenF ever going to tell us whatever it is about Arsenic?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Well? on 03/14/2012 17:22:30 MDT Print View

Arse.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
first amendment rights? on 03/14/2012 19:57:59 MDT Print View

"I'll be darned if I'm going to have my first amendment rights taken away by a forum moderator."

I don't agree with senseless deleting by mods either, but just to be clear, you have no first amendment protections here. BPL isn't the government, so they can censor as they wish.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 03/16/2012 09:10:42 MDT.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: first amendment rights? on 03/15/2012 07:33:07 MDT Print View

....Shit
....Ass
....Pecker
....F@#K

Edit to take out the F-bomb. Can't belive that worked.

Edited by chadnsc on 03/15/2012 07:33:49 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
The use of profanity here is absurd. on 03/15/2012 08:30:59 MDT Print View

This thread reminds me of 6th graders huddled in the school bathroom at recess, partaking in pre-adolescent guilty pleasures by saying really naughty things when they know a teacher isn't looking.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: first amendment rights? on 03/15/2012 08:33:29 MDT Print View

How fun!!!!!!!
This just might end up with more heavy handed mods, and a filter that won't allow the Capitalized profanity. I am not against profanity per se, and the "appropriate " word can be quite effective at times. I just hope all this senseless profanity won't end up spoiling it for the rest of us that may want to use it on occasion.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: first amendment rights? on 03/15/2012 08:55:39 MDT Print View

I don't think Ryan went through a list of words to determine which are categorized as profane

I think the software just came with the total package and Ryan probably doesn't care about this