hammock in, tent out?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
hammock in, tent out? on 03/13/2012 08:43:41 MDT Print View

i'm in the process of transitioning
ground>air
how many of you no longer own a tarp and/or tent after having made the switch?
thanks.
leslie

Chris C
(cvcass) - MLife

Locale: State of Jefferson
still own both on 03/13/2012 08:53:23 MDT Print View

I have and use both hammocks and tents, some locations just aren't suitable for hammocking.
I prefer to hang whenever possible but some of my favorite places don't have any trees at all.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Keeping Tents/Tarps When Hammocking on 03/13/2012 19:13:37 MDT Print View

I've kept my tents and tarps - I find that I need to supply a lot of my buddies with gear and that they don't all enjoy hammocks as much as I do.

I live in Pennsylvania - no shortage of trees anywhere, but there are still people who feel more comfortable in a tent then wrapped up in a "bear burrito."

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: hammock in, tent out? on 03/13/2012 19:56:30 MDT Print View

Can't hang (legally) in FL state parks, so I spend more nights on the ground than in the trees.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: still own both on 03/14/2012 00:39:45 MDT Print View

+1

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Re: still own both on 03/14/2012 06:05:57 MDT Print View

Also here in FL. If I want to go to a state park (common with the wife), well...

Also, "dynamic stress testing" of hammocks is fun and all, but definitely not something that you want to do in a front-country campground. The wife and I camp together at least a few weekends a year, so, yeah.

Besides, she doesn't want to give up the air mattress when we car camp--about the only way I'll get her out in the piney woods. Not complaining, but it means that we still stay in a tent when we go on trips together.

Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

Locale: southeast
Re: Re: still own both on 03/15/2012 14:10:37 MDT Print View

+2

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Both on 03/20/2012 11:29:32 MDT Print View

I actually just got the last bit of gear needed for hanging yesterday and I am not only not considering getting rid of any of my tarps/tents, I'm looking at snagging a lighter tarptent for those pesky "no hang" areas. Not to mention my full double walled backpacking tent (stupid heavy) is the only way to get some friends to try it.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
own both on 03/20/2012 18:31:59 MDT Print View

I'll echo Chris' thoughts exactly.

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
tarp/hammockround cloth on 03/23/2012 16:28:03 MDT Print View

hammock on ground

You need your tarp with the hammock. If no trees, use hiking poles to set up hannock on the ground (for bug protection. Just need a small ground sheet.

Edited by PDA123 on 03/23/2012 16:28:53 MDT.

Kristofer McKenna
(KryoShift)

Locale: North Texas
tent out on 04/17/2012 11:09:49 MDT Print View

I don't have a tent anymore, but I do have my hammock's tarp to pitch on the ground if I really want/have to.

Don Abernathey
(OldGuysRule) - F

Locale: PNW
Gave my tarp away on 05/17/2012 09:42:15 MDT Print View

Well I gave my old Golite lair 2 away. I have a very nice tarp with my hammock, so I can go to the ground if needed. However I don't carry a foam pad anymore so going to the ground makes for a long, painful night.

But if I knew from the start that I was going to be constantly about the tree line, I would just use my tarp, pads and quilt. Tarps are great. But where I play the tree line is about 9500', and I never get above 10K', so it is no big deal to drop down a bit and find a couple trees to hang between. Besides, I don't really like the thunder & lightning theatrics up on a bald mountain top.

Marvin Panganiban
(mpanganiban) - F
Bought a hammock on 06/06/2012 20:39:24 MDT Print View

I just disposed my tent and bought a new hammock here http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/. It was really great!

Edited by mpanganiban on 06/06/2012 20:40:02 MDT.

Marvin Panganiban
(mpanganiban) - F
Re: Bought a hammock on 06/06/2012 20:42:23 MDT Print View

Mexican hammocks are really great and durable. if you bought your hammocks there, it will surely lasts for so long. I bought mine last two years ago, and I am still using it until now.

Matthew mcgurk
(phatpacker) - F

Locale: Central coast California
hammock vs. tent on 08/29/2012 21:27:11 MDT Print View

if you go out in rainy conditions you need a tarp anyway just carry a ground cloth and use the hammock tarp like you would any other and your good to go. Plan your camps near water and you find trees. It is a rarity to not have trees by water. That said I still own both because my wife prefers the psycological boundry of a tent so sometimes when she goes I need the tent.

Jack Richland
(BlackScoutSurvival) - F
Hammock for sure on 09/26/2012 21:59:59 MDT Print View

I own 10 hammocks. ENO's, Grand Trunks, Hennessy Hammock, Warbonnet's. I have a tent that I never use. I don't really enjoy tent camping (I spent 8 years in the marines doing that). Tent camping usually requires more gear and hard to get comfortable. In the area I live in it is very temperate weather and doesn't get too cold. However bug nets are a must if you want to get any sort of sleep. Honestly Grand Trunk's and ENO's have very similar offerings. Grand Trunk does have one of the most reasonable mosquito hammocks if your looking for a bargain. Hennessy Hammock's due come with tarps although I personally like Warbonnet's offering the best. I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and RidgeRunner and by far are the best hammocks I've slept in. For cold weather you will need an underquilt and a tarp for rainy conditions. I have reviews of all of these hammocks on my website (www.blackscoutsurvival.com).

When weight is a concern or I just want to rough it I'll rig up a British Army Basha with 550 cord.

Alpo Kuusisto
(akuusist) - F - M
hammock in, tent on 10/07/2012 13:36:15 MDT Print View

Folks seem to make a choice between a hammock and a tent. I think a hammock is a substitute for a mattress, not to a tent.

Behold, a hammock in a tent:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lsAqapuCKec/UHHU_7uLVaI/AAAAAAAAAVs/R9AaEoEptBc/s640/IMAG0197.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ME4Fqhw3p7c/UHHZdpvLotI/AAAAAAAAAWE/4OOPTr7uFJc/s144/IMAG0203.jpg

Detail of suspension line going through tent mosquito netting, no scissors needed:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9ctWnG-ZjyQ/UHHVFA_PFXI/AAAAAAAAAV0/CAMO9KlaJro/s144/IMAG0200.jpg

Yeah, tent has it's virtues but this is probably not very practical. And actually I'm using a hammock mostly because of simplicity and nice views. But I had to test this anyway, maybe someday it will be useful...

Edited by akuusist on 10/07/2012 13:37:06 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Hammock inside a tent on 10/08/2012 06:25:04 MDT Print View

From an overall weight perspective, you've got to be able to achieve better results with a tarp overhead and a full net enclosure. Carrying a tent AND a hammock really seems to be overkill...

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Both but prefer hammock on 11/04/2012 12:02:25 MST Print View

I still own both, but I prefer to hang whenever possible, including in the snow.
I would not sell your ground setup, unless you have to.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "Still own both" on 11/04/2012 12:46:56 MST Print View

+1