November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarp Patterns
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Weldon

Locale: Hickory, NC
Tarp Patterns on 03/12/2012 19:14:10 MDT Print View

Long time reader, and first time poster.

I'll be the first to admit it, I LOVE BACKPACKING! But maybe even more so, my insatiable quest for ultra-light gear nirvana. Right when I think I have the perfect kit, I find an even more trick piece of gear to add to the arsenal.

Well I think I experienced a revelation here recently. The best ultra-light gear can not be bought, it has to be made. Custom fitted, with the lightest fabrics, and at less cost in addition.

Even though I've never sewed a day in my life, I have a very talented seamstress for a girlfriend who supports my backpacking enthusiasm. Double score.

Bought a thruhiker down quilt kit, 8 yards of 0.51oz/sy cuben fiber, and enough grosgrain and line locks to build a nice tarp.

So my question is does anyone have guidance on Tarp Patterns (i.e, measurements). I would like to build a pyramid shelter (Inspiration: MLD Trailstar), but the cut looks like a fairly involved design. Also interested in other catenary-cut tarp patterns/designs.

Any help greatly appreciated, and hope to share my creations in the future.

(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Tarp Patterns on 03/12/2012 20:26:53 MDT Print View

You could use butcher paper or banner paper to make your patterns out of once you get your dimensions down, that is what I would do. I have made 4 shelters and trial and error makes me be more careful each time, seam alowances, multiple pieces comming together to create peaks on Mids can be very complicated. Sometimes I make blueprints, miniature models, sketches. Hope that helps, I'm sure this post will grow!

Locale: Northwest Mass
Membership? on 03/12/2012 20:37:24 MDT Print View

There are a couple articles available to members, including patterns and instructions for a pyramid tent. For that alone it might be worth joining.