Tarp Patterns
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Weldon
(setterp)

Locale: Hickory, NC
Tarp Patterns on 03/12/2012 19:14:10 MDT Print View

Long time reader, and first time poster.

I'll be the first to admit it, I LOVE BACKPACKING! But maybe even more so, my insatiable quest for ultra-light gear nirvana. Right when I think I have the perfect kit, I find an even more trick piece of gear to add to the arsenal.

Well I think I experienced a revelation here recently. The best ultra-light gear can not be bought, it has to be made. Custom fitted, with the lightest fabrics, and at less cost in addition.

Even though I've never sewed a day in my life, I have a very talented seamstress for a girlfriend who supports my backpacking enthusiasm. Double score.

Bought a thruhiker down quilt kit, 8 yards of 0.51oz/sy cuben fiber, and enough grosgrain and line locks to build a nice tarp.

So my question is does anyone have guidance on Tarp Patterns (i.e, measurements). I would like to build a pyramid shelter (Inspiration: MLD Trailstar), but the cut looks like a fairly involved design. Also interested in other catenary-cut tarp patterns/designs.

Any help greatly appreciated, and hope to share my creations in the future.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Tarp Patterns on 03/12/2012 20:26:53 MDT Print View

You could use butcher paper or banner paper to make your patterns out of once you get your dimensions down, that is what I would do. I have made 4 shelters and trial and error makes me be more careful each time, seam alowances, multiple pieces comming together to create peaks on Mids can be very complicated. Sometimes I make blueprints, miniature models, sketches. Hope that helps, I'm sure this post will grow!

Adrian MITCHELL
(adie.mitchell)

Locale: Northwest Mass
Membership? on 03/12/2012 20:37:24 MDT Print View

There are a couple articles available to members, including patterns and instructions for a pyramid tent. For that alone it might be worth joining.