Dyneema X to Cuben 1.5 via Loctite?
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Dyneema X to Cuben 1.5 via Loctite? on 03/12/2012 17:37:26 MDT Print View

Anyone think Dyneema X will bond well to Cuben 1.5 with Loctite? I plan to sew the seam after that.

Edited by KalebC on 03/12/2012 17:37:56 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Dyneema X to Cuben 1.5 via Loctite? on 03/12/2012 18:08:16 MDT Print View

Hi Kaleb-

I assume you are talking about Loctite Hysol? If so, it should bond those together although I haven't tried it. I do know Seamgrip will bond those together which is also a urethane adhesive. Someone will probably chime in that has done it.

Ryan

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Seam on 03/13/2012 19:11:39 MDT Print View

The surface texture of the fabric will hold a lot of glue, and the seam will be very hard and stiff. I'd be surprised if even a heavy industrial sewing machine could sew through that.

Why are you gluing then sewing?

K C
(KalebC) - F

RE: on 03/14/2012 00:25:33 MDT Print View

I was speaking OG Loctite hysol, which I heard was flexible. This is for a pack I'm working on.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Seam on 03/14/2012 12:04:01 MDT Print View

Kaleb, I assumed that you meant Hysol. I've used Loctite Hysol U09-LV and U09-FL for cuben/cuben bonding, cuben/fabric bonding, fabric/fabric bonding, and hard plastic/fabric bonding. If you have some hysol, I'd recommend that you test the flexibility by bonding a small scrap of Dyneema X to a small scrap of cuben. You'll have a rigid little wafer when it cures.

You may be able to sew through it if you have a herculean sewing machine, but fabric/fabric and fabric/cuben hysol seams break the needles and challenge the motor on my sewing machine. It worked once for me, when I bonded TiGoat's 0.7 oz/yard, 8 denier nylon to cuben and clamped it as tightly as possible to force out most of the glue.

This adhesive is only flexible when the layer is very thin.

Edited by ckrusor on 03/14/2012 12:05:58 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Thanks for the info on 03/14/2012 12:27:43 MDT Print View

Thanks, I don't have any but wasn't sure if I should get some to try to make my seams stronger on my current pack project. I think I will just sew it and seam seal the inside, thanks.