Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Source for 3M propore and make your one bivy questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Fry
(DavidFry) - MLife
Source for 3M propore and make your one bivy questions on 02/01/2007 21:09:31 MST Print View

Here is a source for 3M propore it is a king size materus cover made out of 3M propore: http://www.improvementsplanner.com/home-improvements-mattress-cover-king-10002814.html Is this the same material that is used in waterproof rain jackets like Rainshield O2 rainwear? Is there a better sources for a microporous polpropylene laminate? The Jackets made from this are very light does any one know the actual weight of a square yard of 3M propor? Has any one made anything out of this? I know that are not as durable as other water proof breathable fabrics but might this be durable enough for the top of a bivy? Thanks for the info.

Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

Locale: new england
Re: Source for 3M propore and make your one bivy questions on 02/01/2007 22:14:55 MST Print View

I've used propore from one of the weathershield jacks r better things for a bivy top. it worked out well, deffinitly waterproof, i ended up using the wrong side out, but no difference. it is deffinitly a more fragile option and i wouldn't recomend a really tight stitch so you dont weaken it to much. i've slept with it for some 8 nights without problems, there were some condensation sometimes at the foot, but i think it's because i made the footend with silnylon, which was a mistake :x
good luck,
mike!

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Source for 3M propore and make your one bivy questions on 02/01/2007 22:35:54 MST Print View

I have 5 yards of the Yellow Propore and it weighs 2.37 ounces per sq yard. What I have came from 3M when they were still making it.

Edited by bfornshell on 02/01/2007 22:37:29 MST.