Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG 3.7 oz Fixed Length Trekking Poles
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Gardner
(GearMaker) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adjustable Pole for cycle-camping on 01/15/2013 11:38:41 MST Print View

Thanks Rusty.

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adjustable Pole for cycle-camping on 01/15/2013 11:56:43 MST Print View

David - if you want to post a link to your site the "on the web" forum would probably be the most appropriate place to do so. You should also be able to make a general announcement in the "Gear" and "Gear Deals" forums without upsetting anyone. Of course anything goes in "chaff"

David Gardner
(GearMaker) - M

Re: Adjustable Pole for cycle-camping on 01/15/2013 12:21:34 MST Print View

Cool. Thank you very much again Bruce.

David Gardner
(GearMaker) - M

Re: Re: Adjustable Pole for cycle-camping on 01/24/2013 09:46:01 MST Print View

Adapted a new Tenkara fishing pole to my trekking poles, resulting in an 11' fishing pole. As an added feature, the Tenkara pole fits inside one of the trekking poles for storage.tenkara in trekking poleassembled fishing pole

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Adjustable Pole for cycle-camping on 01/24/2013 15:54:09 MST Print View

Nice! Now if one of you guys would just figure out a light and inexpensive adjustable pole, I'd be happier than pig in p00p!
:-)

EDIT: Note the way "p00p" is spelled. BPL wouldn't let me post cause it was "profanity" otherwise. Hahahaha.....

Edited by rustyb on 01/24/2013 15:56:45 MST.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
follow-up on some carbon pole comments on 02/13/2013 11:58:57 MST Print View

Samuel wrote: "The [Costco] do have Yukon Charlies that are part carbon for $50, but no idea what they weigh."

I called Yukon Charlie and they weighed a pair for me, but they don't have an ounce/gram scale only pounds. On that these poles came in at "just under a pound" for a pair with baskets.

Samuel also wrote: "if a finished carbon pole were available for around $50-75 a pair, it might make more sense to buy them instead of MYOG"...Currently Sierra Trading Post has carbon Komperdells, 13.2oz for the pair, for $78 after 35% off through an e-mail offer that expires tomorrow 2/14, plus free ship if you bump the order to $100+. These poles are back-ordered to ship March 1.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
buying instead on 02/13/2013 20:05:40 MST Print View

J R,

One thing to watch is for the quality of the carbon. There is another pole thread on GEAR where the OP notes some "famous" carbon poles that sell for under $30 on Amazon. The even look nice, with rubber grip extensions; but when I looked at the Amazon reviews, right out of the box were comments about 6 of the poles breaking on one day hike.

Komperdel carbon is OK, but never heard of them being that light. Bought a STP pair a few years ago, and there have been issues with the twist-locks. Would never use them for a shelter where the length of the poles had to be adjusted with each pitch.

The Gabel pair I have were under $50 at Costco when they sold them that cheap, and so far have no issues with the twist-locks. A golf pro put short sections of golf grips under the pole grips for choking, that brought them up to over 7 oz each.

Also on GEAR, it has just been said that the LT4s will be available again from GG in a month or so. Nice, but not inclined to spend $175 to save a couple oz. on the one Gabel that I use. Then again, I've never had the opportunity to enjoy the incredible lightness of the LT4s that people rave about. Maybe it's better not knowing.