Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Titanium pots and mildew?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Titanium pots and mildew? on 03/11/2012 10:55:17 MDT Print View

So I came across this review on REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/807754/snow-peak-titanium-mug-with-hotlips

The one drawback is the surface texture if the titanium. If water is left in the cup for an extended period of time a smell of sour mildew develops. It seems apparent that the matte finish is a perfect surface for bacteria to take hold. The cup must be washed and dried immediately after use to avoid the build up of organic matter causing the smell. It's a bit of a hassle when out in the wilds to always maintain a spotless mug. It's also a bit expensive considering how ordinary it is. Titanium isn't the best material for cooking which limits this thing to boiling water. No lid.

I had never heard of this problem, and frankly it doesn't really strike me as much of a problem, but I was curious if other people have encountered this problem, or if anyone knows enough about titanium to support or deny the assertion that titanium is particularly prone to bacteria buildup.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Titanium pots and mildew? on 03/11/2012 11:18:01 MDT Print View

In order for bacteria to grow it needs food and water. Titaniun is not food. However if you don't clean it well and it stays wet mildew will grow.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Titanium pots and mildew? on 03/11/2012 11:34:13 MDT Print View

I've had an old surplus aluminum canteen pick up some musty smells, but never with an open pot, regardless of the material. I've used stainless steel, aluminum and titanium over the years. Just sounds like poor housekeeping to me.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: Titanium pots and mildew? on 03/11/2012 13:29:01 MDT Print View

I use this Ti cup to drink out of 3 or 4 times a day and food can get into and under lip where rolls under. It takes a small brush to get it clean and is an area that may get missed using the cup on a backpacking trip.