My lovely and talented spouse, whom I love dearly and forever made my new ultralight bivy sack this afternoon. She gave up a perfectly good snow day from school to do it, too.
The bivy has a sil nylon bottom, and a top that is Momentum 90 fabric and Nanoseeum mesh from Thru-hiker.com. The zipper runs around the outside edge from the right shoulder down to the left hip for easy access. The bottom and top ends are 'boxed' like a stuff sack, for more room, and it has tie-out points at each corner. We used a #3 zipper with four pulls, so I have several options for getting in and out. I like having mostly mesh over the upper body, for breathability.
I spent the last week trying to teach myself how to sew. Yeah, right. Dragonfly sews flat-felled seams with two very light, slippery fabrics, without using any pins. All the seams are straight and perfect. My pathetic attempts pale before the goddess of the sewing machine. Many thanks for all her help.
The final weight, with a mesh stuff sack, is exactly 8 ounces. I am very happy with that, since this is a huge bivy that holds me (6-2, 205) and my winter bag and pad.
Here are some photos:
Dragonfly cutting out the bottom fabric:
Sewing one of the edge seams:
Attaching the hood to the bottom fabric:
Dragonfly inside my winter bag -- a Western Mountaineering Antelope, testing out the bivy. It's a little big for her, but fits me just fine: