Tarp on Tent platforms
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Bridenthal
(WalkingAndy)

Locale: NE Ohio
Tarp on Tent platforms on 03/10/2012 21:44:59 MST Print View

I'm hiking the Long Trail in August. I'm thinking of switching over to a tarp for the trip. Does anyone have any tips or pictures of possible tarp set ups on tent platforms?Is it a big deal or non issue?

thanks
Andy

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Tarp on Tent platforms on 03/11/2012 13:49:29 MDT Print View

I haven't done it, but depending on how big of a platform, your guylines might have to go off the platform. Don't really see any other issues.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 03/11/2012 13:49:59 MDT.

Karl Gottshalk
(kgottshalk)

Locale: Maine USA
Tarp on tent platform on 03/11/2012 14:30:25 MDT Print View

Sectionhiker has a post on it:
http://sectionhiker.com/pitching-tents-on-wooden-tent-platforms/

wander lust
(sol)
longer guy lines on 03/12/2012 02:39:05 MDT Print View

you probably want to carry longer guylines.
using stones or twigs or nearby bushes or trees as stake substitute will help too.

you might have to find a suitable spot on the ground in the worst case.

freestanding tents are way easier to pitch on platforms.

Andrew Bridenthal
(WalkingAndy)

Locale: NE Ohio
Re: longer guy lines on 03/12/2012 07:44:13 MDT Print View

I think I'll just make sure I have plenty of guyline. As long as it's not raining the same night was I'm at a paysite, it probably won't be a big deal. I carried a Tadpole on my Thru-hike that was the ticket for platforms and shelters.

Thanks
Andy

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
here's one on 03/12/2012 12:17:00 MDT Print View

My tarptent contrail on a platform in MA in 2010:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=99e712df73ef9d32248e933996cea262&entry_id=16168

(click on the photo to enlarge it)

Per above comments, have some extra cord, look for nails and notches in the platform itself to tuck in cord or cord wrapped stake or the like. It's a bit of a PITA but certainly can be made to work, and IMO definitely not a reason to buy a free standing tent, unless you're cursed with living in an area that has a number of these things and they can't be avoided.