Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience?
Display Avatars Sort By:
P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/09/2012 20:48:03 MST Print View

Sadly, after a little 12 mile technical trail romp through ice, dry dirt, and mud (all in the same trail), I realized that I won't be wearing my Brooks Cascadia 7's for my CT thru hike. They just didn't seem to have the support I am looking for in a shoe. No matter how tight I tied the laces, mid foot lock down was lacking and I wasn't too impressed with the traction of the outsoles.

So I am looking for a new shoe. I'm thinking the Speedcross 3. I used to be a La Sportiva guy, but as I stated in another thread, I wasn't very happy with the outsoles wearing out before the midsole of the shoes. Stupid sticky soft rubber. (Get a hint Sportiva, 99% of the people who wear your shoes pay money for them, not get a new pair every month).

Anyone with Speedcross 3 experience? Or Speedcross 2? From reviews I've been reading, it seems the only complaint is that the shoe doesn't dry as fast as other shoes.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/09/2012 23:18:43 MST Print View

I hate to mention inov8 since there seems to be two camps (either they fit and you love them, or they don't fit) but if you need a tighter mid foot they may work for you. Their endurance rubber seems to last a really long time (I have about 250 miles on mine with a lot on concrete/asphalt) and the tread is still going strong. I use the roclite 315s which have plenty of traction and pretty good support underfoot. The 295 is also supposed to be wider if the 315s are too narrow.

My only complaint is that the rubber isn't stick, HA! Part of it is also the roclite tread I think since it's fairly aggressive. Where I live I like to do a lot boulder scrambling and coming from a climbing background, I just don't feel confident in the shoes to support me (which is why I'm looking at some more road oriented shoes from inov8 with a sticky sole).

The roclites 315s can also be frequently found for around $60.

Again, if you've tried inov8 and they don't fit, just ignore this post...

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Not sure on 03/10/2012 02:47:09 MST Print View

Wondering why the speedcrosses specifically?

They're quite dedicated fell shoes. Like your LA's quite possibly were. Since that involves running up and down steep mudslides, scree slopes and the like they have to go to a extreme cf grip. That needs soft rubber and hugely deep lugs.

None of this promotes durability on hard pack! I'd certainly have thought that quite a few of Salomon's other models would be likely to last rather longer, and some of them do still have decently aggressive sole units. (if not all.).

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/10/2012 09:40:12 MST Print View

I've thought about inov8 shoes for a while. But the more I read about them, the more I feel they are garbage. Stories of shoes being completely trashed at 200 miles. Eyelets tearing out within 50 miles. Mesh ripping. Outsole falling apart. I looked at a pair a year or so ago and they just looked and felt 'cheap'.

As for me wanting the Speedcross 3: I am expecting to see some (ok, maybe a lot in some places) of snow and mud during my CT hike.

Edited by reacttocontact on 03/10/2012 09:41:23 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience?" on 03/10/2012 09:59:10 MST Print View

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/01/salomon-speedcross-3-review.html

Tom Caughlan of iRunfar.com did a review of the SC 3, he knows what's up. He spoke highly of them and compares them favorably to the Speedcross 2, which he has logged over 1000 miles in.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/10/2012 10:11:31 MST Print View

I think people buy inov8 thinking they're just a "light" shoe and get the ones with the smallest number possible. This ignores the fact that most shoes under 300gms are performance/race oriented and not intended for long miles (just like many other sub 10 oz trail shoes). Also since they are narrow but with such flexible uppers, you can get your foot in them easy. However if your toes press the upper outside the perimeter of the outsole (ie your foot is really too wide for the shoe) the durability is going to drop dramatically since the sides will abrade faster.

My 315s have stood up to desert scrub and our general lack of trails (a "trail" out here is basically anywhere a cactus or bramble doesn't grow...). At around 150 miles my shoes developed a small tear in the outer mesh directly above my big toe. This is where the shoe creases as it flexes with each step. So far it's just been cosmetic and I'm sure a few hand stitches would 100% prevent it from growing (which it hasn't without the stitches, even when I catch it on scrub).

I've had beefier Vasques that lost cleats and had all sorts of peeling on the uppers (really the only kind of shoes I've ever trashed).

I'm pretty demanding when it comes to durability and I've been pleased so far. Then again I'm not that heavy and have always been pretty nimble-footed so it may just be that shoes last longer with me than others.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/12/2012 18:29:00 MDT Print View

BOOM!

Salomon

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Re: Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience? on 03/12/2012 19:17:02 MDT Print View

The Speedcross shoes have been good to me. (I went with a different pair of shoes last weekend and paid a price for it).

Pro: The fit and comfort on the Speedcross shoes rock. I've logged hundreds of miles in them and purchased three different pairs (two Speedcross 2s and a Speedcross 3).

Cons: They are expensive, they break down quickly, and, most obnoxiously, the lugs wear down fast and end up being kind of slippery once they wear a bit.

If they didn't feel so great, I wouldn't recommend them or use them, because the downsides are high. But darn, you can't beat comfy feet on the trail.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience?" on 03/12/2012 19:21:43 MDT Print View

Go get 'em dirty.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: "Salomon Speedcross 3. Anyone with experience?" on 03/12/2012 19:24:53 MDT Print View

Eugene. Tomorrow it is happening. Oh it is soooo happening.

But just for s**ts and giggles, here's a dirty shoe photo. Sucks I ended up not liking these shoes.

Edited by reacttocontact on 03/12/2012 19:27:39 MDT.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
another Salomon on 03/12/2012 21:38:01 MDT Print View

Comp XA5. Really like this shoe and it puts to shame the Saucony Peregrine for essentially the same weight. Get the non-GTX shoe. Excellent support and fit, nice toe box, great lacing. -I see there's an XA6 now. Not sure about those.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: another Salomon on 03/13/2012 14:23:03 MDT Print View

Warren, already bought the Speedcross 3's. And just got back from getting them dirty. My god I will never wear another shoe again. Snow, killed it. Mud, yeah right. Hard pack, comfy. I can't believe it took me so long to buy a pair.