Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 21:47:52 MST Print View

Ty Ty,

I don't have a link because I buy them in 2nd hand stores. Value Village in Seattle is where I have the best luck but that's not going to do you any good where you live.

It may be that people buy more running/wind pants up here than where you live becuase it is usually wet and cool here.

Daryl

Bradley Jay
(standupdouble) - F
Re: Re: Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 22:03:01 MST Print View

I tried on a pair of the Rock Craft pants. Nice good fit. Legs are slim around ankles which is good. I liked the fit overall but I still want to try out some of the arcteryx models before I pull the trigger.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]" on 03/09/2012 22:09:07 MST Print View

I like the Prana Zion pant.

For one thing it has an ingenious zippered cargo pocket you can easily get into from a standing or seated position.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 23:02:14 MST Print View

Check out the REI Adventures pants: http://www.rei.com/product/784060/rei-adventures-pants-mens-32-inseam . They do offer a number of inseam lengths and far less baggy than the Sahara pants.

Rail Riders makes a number of excellent hiking pants and a couple that would take rough scrambling.

Peter James
(pbjames) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra
Re: Re: ArcTeryx here too on 03/09/2012 23:32:04 MST Print View

I agree about all the salient points on the Arcteryx Rampart pants, they are just fabulous. It was hard to stomach the price at first, but they have proven to be worth their weight in myrrh. After various REI branded nylon pants all going out of commission with busted zippers, failed stiching, you name it; the Arcteryx have been a marked improvement.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
cheaper on 03/14/2012 07:56:29 MDT Print View

I just ordered a couple pair of these. I had a 25% off coupon so got the for $20 bucks and change.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-wicking-comfort-fit-pants-upf-30-for-men~p~3184r/?filterString=s~white-sierra-wicking-comfort-fit-pants%2F&colorFamily=01

I almost bought these, which seem about as simple and light as you could get with nylon pants but I don't like the built in belt, really like to use my own belt.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/woolrich-cross-country-pants-upf-30-plus--for-men~p~4148k/?filterString=s~woolrich-pants%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fmens-clothing~d~15%2F&colorFamily=04

Edited by TylerD on 03/14/2012 07:58:02 MDT.

simon hackett
(minimalgear) - F

Locale: UK
running wind pants on 03/14/2012 08:28:53 MDT Print View

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005K8D0QI/ref=asc_df_B005K8D0QI6983053/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B005K8D0QI&linkCode=asn
I have the Ronhill pursuit trousers. The New balance sequence pants are almost identical:
http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/apparel/pants-and-tights/running/MRP7302
Very minimal, wear running shorts underneath them and they still weigh less than a pair of convertibles, that's before adding in the weight of a pair of boxers, so you can get a substantial weight saving. Zips at the ankles make removal easy.
Edit: Pretty flimsy for scrambling though.

Edited by minimalgear on 03/14/2012 08:29:41 MDT.

Jeff LaVista
(LaVista) - F
rail riders on 03/14/2012 10:22:43 MDT Print View

Rail riders are great! I wear versatacs, because I like to keep some survival oriented items on my person, separate from my packed gear.

I've been truly amazed on several occasions at the durability, these pants just won't rip! The legs roll up easily enough, and stay up, as well. been wearing mine as work pants going on 3 years now.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
MEC River Pants on 03/14/2012 10:27:10 MDT Print View

I've been using these MEC River Pants... I love em

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/PantsTights/PRD~5023-171/mec-river-pants-mens.jsp

They are tough as nails. They have survived field work, bushwhacking, and a month of crawling around the amazon jungle, and they barely have a scratch.

Bugs can't seem to be able to bite through the nylon weave, they dry quickly, are fairly lightweight

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/14/2012 10:52:03 MDT Print View

Simple, light and breathable pants -- Just go to any REI or similar store. They have dozens of brands and styles. Try on several pair and buy the ones that fit best. Not rocket science. Or as mentioned earlier, go to a large thrift store.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/14/2012 13:02:12 MDT Print View

I have a $10 (on sale) pair of New Balance nylon exercise pants which are wonderful for hiking in cold weather. They are somewhat wind resistant and have a mesh liner. I've had them several years and they have worn like iron--still look as nice as when I bought them. Admittedly they are not suitable for hot weather.

Back in the 1980's I (and every other hiker in town) bought a pair of Air Force surplus tropical weight (50% wool, 50% polyester) pants. The fabric is really like cast iron! The only wear is fraying of the cuffs' edge at the bottom. I think I paid $5 or $6 for them--best investment I ever made. I still wear them occasionally.

I bought a pair of Campmor convertible pants several years ago, another bargain ($20). The only problem with them was that the seat came unstitched, a simple repair on the sewing machine even for this non-sewer. I recommend that with any pants, you reinforce the stitching in the seat when they are new. One line of stitching is never enough in that stressed location! I decided after a couple of trips in them that I really don't like convertible pants and hardly ever use the convertible feature. With my legs(varicose veins and knee surgery scars), I generally avoid shorts. Even with stream fords, I kept the legs on. The convertible feature, for me, isn't worth the extra weight.

I tried REI and everything they had in women's pants had a low rider waist. With my ample (!) hips, that's a non-starter. Anyway, I really don't want the waistband of my pants to be under my pack's hip belt!

Edited by hikinggranny on 03/14/2012 13:05:46 MDT.