Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradley Jay
(standupdouble) - F
Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 07:28:27 MST Print View

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new pair of pants. However, everything I have come across has been either: discontinued [patagonia sol patrol], has too many unnecessary pockets/zippers, or is too heavy. I'm just looking for a simple breathable lightweight pair of pants that fit well [not too baggy, can scramble in]. Also I'm not really into the zip-off shorts option [too bulky and would rather roll up legs]. I was wondering what's been working for everyone?

All the best,

Brad

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 07:39:48 MST Print View

I have bought and used a number of different things and have found the Arcteryx Rampart pants to be the best, lightweight, nylon, fast drying and typical Arcteryx fit so they don't look like your wearing parachute pants. The knees are articulated so you can move easy and they don't have zipper pulls hanging everywhere. The pocket designs are ingenious with a cover concept that protects contents but without zippers.

On sale now for $59 here http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=3847&aid=12&currency=152&shipto=226

Chris Wright
(chriswrightcycles)
. on 03/09/2012 07:45:38 MST Print View

Brad,

What kid of fit are you looking for?

Bradley Jay
(standupdouble) - F
Pant fit on 03/09/2012 07:48:59 MST Print View

I'm looking for something articulated that isn't so baggy that you can hear me coming [think snow pants growing up].

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 03/09/2012 08:06:02 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 05/28/2012 17:40:46 MDT.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
+1 for Patagonia rock guides on 03/09/2012 09:11:37 MST Print View

These are the only pants I use for hiking anymore. Light, pretty effective DWR, breathable, and tough. They've held up very well to lots of bush whacking.

Plus, they look like normal khakis... Minimal pockets, normal styling, neutral colors.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 09:14:19 MST Print View

My favorites are single layer, uncoated nylon runners' wind pants from Nike and others.

I usaully buy them used at second hand stores for about $5. They are typically made from about 2 ounce per square yard nylon and weigh 6-8 ounces per pair.

I buy them in extra large when I can, even though I wear a medium. I find the extra room to be comfortable and non-binding and they slip over heavy underwear easily.

I also wear them in hot weather and loose pants are much more comfortable in hot weather than tight fittings ones.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: +2 for Patagonia rock guides on 03/09/2012 09:26:18 MST Print View

I own 2 pairs. I wear them for everything. I'm wearing them now.

James Connolly
(jamespjc) - MLife

Locale: TX
Arcteryx Rampart Pant on 03/09/2012 09:31:02 MST Print View

They aren't cheap, but they have served me well - http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Rampart-Pant#

Larry M
(Maethros) - MLife

Locale: Mid South
Re: +1-jillion for Patagonia Rock Guide Pants on 03/09/2012 10:08:55 MST Print View

These. Only pants I've owned that have lasted more than a season. Mine have more miles than I can count and still look new.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Arcteryx Palisade Pants on 03/09/2012 10:23:33 MST Print View

10 oz. super durable. Legs roll up well, and built in belt.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
ArcTeryx here too on 03/09/2012 11:37:54 MST Print View

I, too, have a pair of the Arc'Teryx pants. Couldn't be more happy with them.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: ArcTeryx here too on 03/09/2012 12:41:22 MST Print View

Arc'teryx Ramparts.

Light, lots of freedom of movement (I can climb anything in them) and DURABLE. I tend to bushwhack through thick desert scrub (cat's claw and worse brambles) and my pants look brand new. I think I've only gotten one tiny thread pulled and only my OCD eyes can find the miniscule loop. I've had a few other pants that got trashed on their first outing.

My 30x32s also come in at 8.6 oz. Not bad for a pant that is virtually windproof, breathes/light enough for desert heat hiking and paired with longjohns I can hike with them into freezing temps.

Bradley Jay
(standupdouble) - F
Thanks on 03/09/2012 12:56:02 MST Print View

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Simple Hiking Pants on 03/09/2012 13:20:40 MST Print View

I've really dug my Patagonia Gi II pants. Very simple. I am still trying to figure out a way of cutting out the attached belt and replacing it with a removable one.

I still really dig mine though.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Re: Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions] on 03/09/2012 13:40:07 MST Print View

Daryl - I like your suggestion! I don't like spending more than $20 on pants unless they are 100% wool trousers for work :)

Tell me more about the Nike wind pants. You find nylon ones? Most of what I see are polyester. Do you have a link to something like you buy?

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: Patagonia Rock Guide/Craft Pant on 03/09/2012 14:19:00 MST Print View

Do the Rock Craft pants ever go on sale?

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Re: Patagonia Rock Guide/Craft Pant on 03/09/2012 17:27:36 MST Print View

I bought Rock Guides for 50% off from the Patagonia Online store a few weeks ago. They are now my second lightest full length pant, BUT they are NOISY when I walk. That "swish swish" sound may get annoying on the trail. Also the leg bottoms are HUGE, like 1960's bell bottoms huge. Covers almost my entire size 11 shoe length.

The lightest full length pants I own were also the cheapest, the Craghoppers Nosilife Lite for 70% off, ~$20 shipped. Not too keen on the fit or construction quality when they first arrived, but I've come to appreciate them and wear them often.

Todd Hein
(todd1960) - MLife

Locale: Coastal Southern California
Arcteryx Palisades on 03/09/2012 18:59:15 MST Print View

I've had a pair for 5 years and they are now just starting to show wear...I don't wear shorts because of these pants.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
REI Sahara on 03/09/2012 19:16:33 MST Print View

Not the convertible ones. Buy them and then cut off all the needless belt loops, pockets etc. I was able to get mine down to 10.5 oz. The only pockets I left were the front pockets and one side pocket without the flap (for maps.) The nice thing is that they are super comfortable to sleep in since there aren't all the zippers to poke you all night.