November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
OR section hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
David (Bleach)
(dtabachnick) - MLife
OR section hike on 03/08/2012 16:24:48 MST Print View

First time, long time... Here's what I'm planning to take on both an upcoming 7-8 day trip to Sisters and an OR PCT section hike.

The gps will most likely stay home for the OR hike, but it is going to Sisters, so it's on the list for now.

Things on the list I have yet to buy (easier to change these plans):
tent/ground cloth

Things I've done since finding this fine forum (tyvm for the indirect help :) )
Dumped a ton of spare clothes
Full length NeoAir --> short one+foam pad
Canister stove --> Esbit
Shelved my SMD tent
MYOG cuben stuff sacks

Things I won't do:
Aquamira (I don't want this to turn into a holy war over water treatment, but I'm sticking with my steripen. Call it a luxury item ;) )

Thanks in advance!

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
RE: OR Section Hike on 03/15/2012 09:36:02 MDT Print View

What time of the year are you planning t hike this section? That determines greatly what you'll need. I'll assume you'll be on the trail in August.

I went through Oregon on the PCT last year so I have a good idea what you'll see. Your list is great in my opinion. You put a lot of thought into your gear. In August you'll have enough to keep you warm and dry.

I was going to tell you to leave the GPS at home, but I see you'll be leaving the PCT trail and hiking around the Sisters. I still don't know if you'll really need it.

For the PCT I'd print out the 1/2 mile maps. Nothing better!

You'll be to hot wearing a Patagonia Cap 2 while hiking. I wore a long sleeve breathable shirt with mesh along the inner arms and side. It's called the Railrider Eco-Mesh....loved it. Keeps the sun off and I was never hot or uncomfortable. I bought 2 more.

You may want to take a sun hat and maybe ear band if it gets cold.

I bought one of those rainkilts. I left it at home and brought my 8 oz OR Goretex Paclite rainpants. I just couldn't see the skirt working for me. You know I never needed the rainpants, but it was nice to have them just in case.

Edited by HairlessApe on 03/15/2012 10:05:19 MDT.