Forum Index » Gear Lists » OR section hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
David (Bleach)
(dtabachnick) - MLife
OR section hike on 03/08/2012 16:24:48 MST Print View

First time, long time... Here's what I'm planning to take on both an upcoming 7-8 day trip to Sisters and an OR PCT section hike.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6706

Notes:
The gps will most likely stay home for the OR hike, but it is going to Sisters, so it's on the list for now.

Things on the list I have yet to buy (easier to change these plans):
tent/ground cloth
backpack

Things I've done since finding this fine forum (tyvm for the indirect help :) )
Dumped a ton of spare clothes
Full length NeoAir --> short one+foam pad
Canister stove --> Esbit
Shelved my SMD tent
MYOG cuben stuff sacks

Things I won't do:
Aquamira (I don't want this to turn into a holy war over water treatment, but I'm sticking with my steripen. Call it a luxury item ;) )

Thanks in advance!
DaveT

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
RE: OR Section Hike on 03/15/2012 09:36:02 MDT Print View

David,

What time of the year are you planning t hike this section? That determines greatly what you'll need. I'll assume you'll be on the trail in August.

I went through Oregon on the PCT last year so I have a good idea what you'll see. Your list is great in my opinion. You put a lot of thought into your gear. In August you'll have enough to keep you warm and dry.

I was going to tell you to leave the GPS at home, but I see you'll be leaving the PCT trail and hiking around the Sisters. I still don't know if you'll really need it.

For the PCT I'd print out the 1/2 mile maps. Nothing better!

You'll be to hot wearing a Patagonia Cap 2 while hiking. I wore a long sleeve breathable shirt with mesh along the inner arms and side. It's called the Railrider Eco-Mesh....loved it. Keeps the sun off and I was never hot or uncomfortable. I bought 2 more.

You may want to take a sun hat and maybe ear band if it gets cold.

I bought one of those rainkilts. I left it at home and brought my 8 oz OR Goretex Paclite rainpants. I just couldn't see the skirt working for me. You know I never needed the rainpants, but it was nice to have them just in case.

john

Edited by HairlessApe on 03/15/2012 10:05:19 MDT.