Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How you look when you go backpacking...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
What I look like on the trail before and after on 03/12/2012 20:14:03 MDT Print View

methbeforeafter

Before and after pictures: At the trailhead and then after 9 months thru- hiking .

Edited by dag4643 on 03/12/2012 20:15:25 MDT.

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/12/2012 23:50:27 MDT Print View

"Jim McMahon is a backpacker?!?!

I figured his kid's would be older."

nice, took a sec... my favorite kind. haha

Louis Brooks
(louisb)

Locale: North Adirolf
How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/13/2012 13:28:16 MDT Print View

Me on a recent day trip. It was a nice balmy sub 30 deg day here in FL a few weeks back.

Day Hike

--louis

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/13/2012 13:38:46 MDT Print View

Louis,

Isn't that Rock Bluff in Torreya SP?

Todd

Louis Brooks
(louisb)

Locale: North Adirolf
Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/28/2012 10:57:47 MDT Print View

Hi Todd,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that is Torreya, one of my favorite places to hike in NF. It is about an hour from me so I get over there often.

--louis

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Torreya on 03/28/2012 18:01:41 MDT Print View

Boy I did a double take on that pic. I was just there last week and have a shot of the Apalachicola from that very spot. I met some friends from northern MI for a paddling trip over spring break and one day they decided to bike and I went for a hike there. Unfortunately, it wasn't a balmy 30 degrees, but more like 80 so it was a short hike :)

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/29/2012 13:30:42 MDT Print View

This has been a fun thread. I'm sorry I was away from BP Light for so long as to miss the fun.

Hiker fashion is very important to me. Unfortunately, I have none of the fashion accessories that would make me cool.

Me in my JRB wearable quilt
My backpack now
In a skirt

I'm planning to join some CDT thru-hikers this summer and my plan is to wear my stained and torn old PCT clothes so as not to stick out among the others. I don't want anyone refusing to give me a ride or some treats because I "look too clean to be a thru-hiker". There's no more offensive criticism if you ask me.

Cody Lebow
(CLebow) - F

Locale: Orange County
Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/09/2012 09:18:09 MDT Print View

Im on the left. Goofy as hell.group start

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/09/2012 09:27:50 MDT Print View

Cody wrote, "Im on the left. Goofy as hell."

What a relief. I thought one of the other guys had a really rough looking girlfriend ;)

My favorite hiking kit. I'm helping the rest of the tribe with a water crossing:

Moses

Edited by dwambaugh on 04/09/2012 09:28:47 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/09/2012 17:35:32 MDT Print View

"My favorite hiking kit. I'm helping the rest of the tribe with a water crossing:"

Ya gotta love the vehicle tracks in the sand on either side of Charlatan's feet. ;=)

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Vehical Tracks on 04/10/2012 10:15:21 MDT Print View

Chariot tracks I'm sure

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Vehicle Tracks on 04/10/2012 10:38:30 MDT Print View

I was working as a tourist guide between Egypt and Israel. The tracks are from the Egyptian Army bicycle unit. They tried to shake us down, but I finally raised my trekking staff said, "LET MY PEOPLE GO." They got lost when it started raining frogs. The Israelis let the rest of the group in, but I had to stay behind. The word processors were SO heavy in those days :)

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/10/2012 21:25:36 MDT Print View

Supes 2012

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/11/2012 17:11:33 MDT Print View

Funny, I like cargo pockets and zip off pants for the versatility. i like to be able to zip the legs off and put them in the pockets until i stop to put them in my pack or put them back on at a peak. overall i pretty much go for comfort and function.

moosilauke

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
How you look when you go backpacking. on 04/11/2012 21:55:49 MDT Print View

I really don't care what I look like when I'm out backpacking. i do try to clean up a little when I get back to the trailhead, but I don't spend a lot of time at it. My hiking buddy (70-lb. mostly Labrador retriever) doesn't care what I look like, either!

While I prefer dull colors that blend into the landscape, I bought a lot of my hiking clothing on closeout for half price or less. That's why my wind shirt is the color of red wine vomit....

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/11/2012 22:01:25 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
How you look when you go backpacking... on 04/11/2012 22:16:33 MDT Print View

Like a boss.

Shane Steinkamp
(sssteinkamp) - F
Re: My SUL outfit on 04/13/2012 14:51:37 MDT Print View

This is not Ike. In reality, it's me, and he stole it from my page here:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/naked/bodymind.htm

Shane

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
oops on 04/13/2012 17:34:22 MDT Print View

I actually got that picture from what I took for a gag website in Switzerland, and unfortunately did not anticipate finding a real person associated with it. Sincere apologies Shane.
Ike

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: My SUL outfit on 04/13/2012 17:34:31 MDT Print View

Hi Shane

Welcome!

Cheers

Shane Steinkamp
(sssteinkamp) - F
Re: oops on 04/13/2012 18:34:25 MDT Print View

> I actually got that picture from what I took for a gag website
> in Switzerland, and unfortunately did not anticipate finding a
> real person associated with it. Sincere apologies Shane.

No worries. I wind up on a lot of websites...

Shane