Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » How you look when you go backpacking...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Re: Re: Re: look on 03/08/2012 12:12:48 MST Print View

Randy - I agree. Pants for example, the less pockets the less crap you can put in there.

Here is me on my last trip (yes yes, the leaves were still on the trees, I know I am going March 24th).

pic of me

If you could see my legs/feet you would see I am wearing $300 leather backpacking boots with thick wool socks. I also came back from that trip with a black toenail and blisters all over my ankles, bought some hiking shoes and have since been on several day hikes carrying my son in a backpack carrier and even with 35lbs on I can promise you I will never wear leather boots again.

But even in this picture you can see I have my nylon (camo) fishing shirt and Columbia zip off pants both with a dozen or more pockets. It's like I bought my clothes from a 'backpackers uniform store'. Since then I have tended to go with a lighter, less rough, no pockets synthetic t shirt, and I want to loose the pants of a thousand pockets (randy will check out those pants). I also am going to cut a lot of the crap off my pack that does nothing but dangles and serves a 'what if' purpose. Like 'what if I ever want to carry an ice axe'. Ahhh probably not.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Look on 03/08/2012 12:43:22 MST Print View

My hiking, traveling and everyday outfits are one and the same -- the only exception is that my butt-ugly convertible pants are reserved only for hiking.

I've always disliked hiking clothes with exaggerated "outdoorsy" look -- eighteen-pocket vests and bellows pocket shirts. For me, comfortable, wicking, quick drying and no ironing fabrics make total sense -- just choose simple styles and colors and they're good to go -- anywhere and everywhere.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 03/08/2012 12:59:44 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 05/28/2012 17:40:04 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Look While Backpacking on 03/08/2012 13:21:15 MST Print View

@ Steve - I got the "Randall" joke...One of my favorite movies!

At 6' and 270 pounds, "svelte" is not an adjective that's used to describe me, but I do like having a small tidy pack without things flopping around. I enjoy the looks I get from the "Trads" when I pass them on the trail - It's always something like: "He's awfully far away from a road for a dayhike this time of day." I usually see the most people first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. Sometimes I'll stop to chat and others I'll just say "hi" and keep moving - it just depends.

As for color coordination? I really don't care - I usually wear a long-sleeve black Patagonia R1 on top and grey convertible pants on the bottom. If it's summer and I'm out I might switch to a white long-sleeve R1 on top. If it's raining I have white cuben chaps and a red eVent Packa. To quote a wise previous poster: "Who gives a rat's behind?"

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
I wear what is comfy on 03/08/2012 13:43:01 MST Print View

Really. I am well known for hiking in cotton even. :-P I have little fashion sense and it is OK. White Injini socks, clown like Keen low cuts and hot pink work out tops I wear to the gym are common. Well that was before....

I spent the last 4 years either pregnant, post partum or trying - due to that I was seen in a LOT of cotton, I wasn't about to drop a small fortune on tech maternity clothing (also because none of it would fit my massive baby bellies I get....). So I hiked and walked in street clothing, just with my socks and shoes on.

Last September, out hiking, 4 months or so along with my third baby - in all street clothing:
Photobucket

Ironically I got so used to not wearing "hiking pants" I have no desire to wear any of mine now. They are so hot - yuck. I can wear them again but no thanks. I think I might keep being crazy and wear normal street clothing when I hike (my wardrobe is pretty relaxed). I carry backup gear and I won't do it in snow or cold rain but hey, I like it.

This is pretty close though to how I look now when I hike (fall of 2010):
Photobucket

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
How you look when you go backpacking on 03/08/2012 15:43:54 MST Print View

I dress for function not look.(at my age who cares ???)
That is my clothing has to work with the way I layer, nothing to do with brands or colours except that of late I have realised that most of my stuff is black or grey so I have added some red bits just for fun.
This is how I typically look in good weather , I am on the left.
Summer look
summer 2

And this is me in winter...
winter look
Franco

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Backpacking looks on 03/08/2012 17:10:52 MST Print View

What I wear on the last day is pretty much what I wear on the first day, just dirtier and smellier!

I like convertible pants - in shorts mode during the day, pants mode in the evening. Generally wear a merino t-shirt, and add layers if it gets cooler. Most clothes are in the green or tan color range. The greens and tans don't necessarily match up real well, but they also don't scream at you from a mile away.

Comfort, warmth, wind blocking. No stylie points!

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 17:22:00 MST Print View

Lime green, blaze orange, khaki, brown, blue & black.

Newton crossing a stream

And let's not forget fuzzy since I don't shave on the trail.

I'm the one on the right ;-)

Form follows function.

Party On,

Newton

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
All about function on 03/08/2012 17:40:04 MST Print View

There is no such thing as fashion on the trail...... except of course Dirty Girls.

me

And who says you need to carry your stuff in a backpack.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 17:42:15 MST Print View

It's funny, in the regular world, I'm pretty critical of the way I look and the way others look and act.

But, when I'm backpacking, I could absolutely care less. The way I look at it, when I come across others on the trail or in camp, I'm walking into there living room. The same way, if they run into me, they gotta deal with it as if they are an intruder in my house.

If someone finds it easier to step out of there tent in there skivvies to get dressed, don't bother me, and I do the same. Wanna go skinny dipping or underwear swimming, that's your perogetive. I've been know to strip down to take a bath and rinse my clothes off in a creek. I'm not gonna do it 5 feet from you, but if you walk up on me, I won't be diving for cover like I might in the regular world.

I wear what's comfortable or practical, and I assume the same of others. Wanna wear a lime green shirt and florescent orange shoes, be my guest. Don't be surprised to find me walking around with a dorky looking brimmed hat with a bandana hanging out the back to cover my neck. If it's faster to stuff a wind shirt or rain jacket under some cord, then it's gonna hang out of my pack all janky, rather than take the time to stop, take my pack off and find a place for it inside.

I don't look at the boy scout wearing a 60lb pack with pots and pans hanging off of it, any different than I look at someone with a 15lb pack that's all nice and tidy.

Hike your own hike is the way I look at it. As long as you are outside, having fun and not getting hurt or endangering others. Oh, and if I catch you littering, I don't care if you look like Brad Pitt, I will beat you with my hiking sticks and feed you to the bears.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Fuzz and dirty girls on 03/08/2012 17:45:11 MST Print View

add short shorts...ready for town...h

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Fuzz and dirty girls on 03/08/2012 17:46:47 MST Print View

That certainly makes a fashion statement.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 18:01:20 MST Print View

bbbbb

So not like this?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
"how you look when you go backpacking..." on 03/08/2012 18:10:25 MST Print View

I wear a lot of the same clothes that I wear everyday. Nothing ultra high tech or ultralight. Lots of garage sale finds. I also wear one or two braids, like I wear during the week. Very, very rarely I dress up for some occasion and the hair goes down and a simple dress goes on. But on the trail and during the week, I look like one of these versions.

edited: sorry about the crappy quality, I mailed them from my ipod to my email etc.

Edited by Kat_P on 03/08/2012 18:12:53 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 19:18:43 MST Print View

When buying clothes, given comparable items, I gravitate towards grey colors. So dust is less apparent. I do have layers of shirts that are white and black. In the day if it's cold, I put the black on top to maximize sunlight heat absorption. In the summer hot days I'll switch to light grey or white shirt. But generally I keep with the grey theme.

For me it's the opposite of getting noticed. I prefer to be inconspicuous. People can walk pass by me and not remember details. Stealth ninja. Downside the search and rescue will get zero feedback on me from other trail walkers.

Years ago at the beach, my family was trying to find me, we were talking on the phone to find each other. I was 50 feet away and they didn't spot me, all along I had them in my field of vision.

Bottom line for me, generic chameleon, not camouflage. Whether it's trail or Corp office. Unless I have a specific need to draw attention, like a business presentation or job interview, then I do want them to remember me and I do want to stand out.

slight topic detour. My peeve are the dorks that wear military camouflage to the grocery store in the city, there is not an airport or a military base for a 100 miles, I have a distant relative that does that, to cash in on the fame of real heroes. Not him. He's a fraud. I remind him of the law about stolen valor. Camouflage hides well in a jungle, but in the city it stands out screaming "look at meeeee"
Enough of my soapbox.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/08/2012 19:24:41 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 19:28:50 MST Print View

Don't come to Humboldt Roger. Camo is very popular here. Nothing to do with "cashing in on the fame". I've never heard that before either. Lot's of hunters and not a lot of money. Their one good jacket is the one they wear. Lot's of homeless, deadbeats, and hippie wanna bees wear it to blend in.

Ties get noticed here.

Edited by kthompson on 03/08/2012 19:46:18 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 19:41:10 MST Print View

Ken,
Thanks for heads up on the Humbolt dress code. Although I do believe that when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Sort of. If I went to humbolt, I suppose I will eat my words and blend in with the local camo wear, when relevant.

I make an effort to look like the locals when traveling, to draw less attention from tourist predators.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 19:46:44 MST Print View

>I make an effort to look like the locals when traveling, to draw less attention from tourist predators.

I don't think it's so much looking like the locals that you have to worry about in order to not stick out. Rather, it's ACTING like a complete doorknob and clueless bonehead that draws real attention to you.

Looking confident and like you have a purpose, even if you're lost, will make you less of a target for tourist predators.

Edited by T.L. on 03/08/2012 19:48:30 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 20:03:03 MST Print View

Renee always comments on how nice everyone looks in the trip reports.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: How you look when you go backpacking... on 03/08/2012 20:14:29 MST Print View

"Renee always comments on how nice everyone looks in the trip reports."

Well, that's because she's judging everyone by you. When your standards are rather low to start with......