Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Light Weight Shoe Recommendation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Dalley
(pauldalley) - F

Locale: Gulf Coast
Light Weight Shoe Recommendation on 03/07/2012 19:08:32 MST Print View

Hello All,

I need a recommendation for hiking shoes. I prefer light weight fast drying shoes rather than the waterproof variety. They make my feet hot. What brands would you recommend???
Thanks,

Paul

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Light Weight Shoe Recommendation on 03/08/2012 17:50:36 MST Print View

As always, it comes down to fit. To to your local running store and try on a bunch of trail running shoes. Some of the popular brands are New Balance, Salomon, Inov-8, Brooks, Montrail.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 03/08/2012 17:52:33 MST.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Asics Trabuco Trail Runners on 03/10/2012 16:44:27 MST Print View

+1 on trail running shoes. Always lighter than hiking shoes. I've been using the contemporary versions of Asics Trabucos to trail run, hike and backpack in now for over 10 years. They held up well on my CT thru-hike last year, dried quickly when wet, etc.

As stated, I would also advice going to your local running store to try on trail runners befor ordering online. and you may size up
1/2 or 1 size depending on the length of the hike you're planning.

Edited by veganaloha on 03/10/2012 16:45:52 MST.

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
Re: Asics Trabuco Trail Runners on 03/10/2012 17:11:43 MST Print View

I really liked my Asics. I used 3 generations of Enduro model. I liked the fit, narrow sole, and fairly strong platform. When I had a little trouble with the fit on the last model I tried switching and got a pair of Columbia Switchback 2's. This is where the story gets weird for me. I hated them. The sole seemed too wide, the platform too soft, they felt "floppy" after the Asics. But, I decided to wear out the shoes in my closet and started wearing them again. As much as I hate them, my feet seem to love them. I never had much blistering or foot pain (I use Injinji), but with these I had none. Maybe it's the "minimalist" thing. Less shoe better feet?

(I generally wear shoes from SportsMart or SportsChalet, that class of place. I shoot for $50-60 on sale, and that seems to work out fine for me. I can't wait for more minimalist options to creep down-market!)

Update: in M8.5, the Asics are 12 oz each, the Columbias 10 oz.

Edited by JohnJ on 03/10/2012 17:13:39 MST.

jacko vanderbijl
(jacko1956)

Locale: Shelley Western Australia
Whatever fits on 03/10/2012 19:02:33 MST Print View

I believe you should find the right fit for your foot from a quality brand.
Shoes are generally one of three types of sole shape. Generally an American, a European and another type I forget the name of.
The three different types have different shapes of toe boxes and heels etc so in my case for example, my perfect fit of a 10.5 Merrell won't necessarily be a perfect fit in a brand using a different type of shape. And it may be that no perfect fit exists for you in a Merrell.
Get properly fitted at a good store, pay the money for the service and find out what sizing type that shoe uses.
Then buy any further shoes online cheaply from manufacturers using the same sizing shape.
With lightweight shoes, especially if your trail is rocky, consider getting a third party inner sole that is a bit firmer to replace or go under the manufacturers ones. Manufacturers will make an inner that feels comfortable when you try the shoe on so you buy it. After 4 hours or so on a rocky trail you will find them woefully inadequate for the soles of your feet.
Cheers
Jacko