Windshirt suggestions?
Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: re: Houdini v. Litespeed on 03/08/2012 20:18:31 MST Print View

I own both the Litespeed & Houdini and like both. Scratch that....LOVE both.

But the Litespeed is heavier and adds a bit more warmth. Added warmth can be good or a hindrance, depending on conditions. I usually don't look to my windshirt for warmth, per se, so the Houdini usually wins out.

The Houdini is more "no frills", which I like, too.

In contrast to Dave's comment, my Litespeed is longer in the torso than my Houdini (both Large), which I REALLY appreciate.

Add to all this that the Litespeed is my preferred jacket around town and I hopelessly can't get rid of either one!

I can wear my Montbell down inner or my BPL primaloft vest under both windshirts.

My recommending one over the other comes down to this: if you want the lighter of the two with no frills other than the adjustable hood, get the Houdini. If you want slightly warmer with extra length and more refined touches, get the Litespeed.

Sorry so long-winded (I tend to be that way)...hope this helps.

Todd

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Re: re: Houdini v. Litespeed on 03/08/2012 20:41:32 MST Print View

Thanks for the comparisons. I already have a Houdini which I love, but was considering going a smaller size since I found that my regular medium was a bit baggy, which is the opposite of the majority here. My down jacket (Rab Microlight Alpine) is already windproof so I don't need it to fit with my windshirt, although I did recently pick up a Montbell UL Down Parka that would need it.

The OCD in me wants the Litespeed jacket just to match my Featherlite pants, lol .. Seems like it'd work better for colder weather too than the Houdini.

Chris Wheeler
(ChrisW) - MLife

Locale: Stratford, Ontario
Windshirt suggestions on 03/08/2012 20:43:50 MST Print View

Around camp I wear my Patagonia Houdini over a WM Flight jacket. They fit perfectly together with no compression of the down, both are a size large. The Houdini helps reduce the wind, making the Flight jacket warmer, and keeps the Flight jacket clean and dry.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
no windshirt? on 03/08/2012 20:53:52 MST Print View

I've loved my hoodless golite windshirt on a couple of long trips and several shorter ones, but for my most recent long trip I opted to go with a pretty light (7 oz I think) rain jacket and use that in place of a windshirt. Worked fine; I'm thinking now I might err on the side of doing that in future, unless for some particular trip I want a beefier, heavier rain jacket (in which case maybe I'll eat the weight hit for the windshirt too ?).

Jared King
(jking) - F

Locale: Middle TN
Stoic Wraith on 03/08/2012 23:24:12 MST Print View

+1 on the Stoic Wraith

The yellow is on sale at backcountry.com for $28. My large weights 2.4 oz. I would second what another poster said about sizing up if you want to layer underneath it.

You can't beat that price.

Lee Fitler
(tdilf) - F
windshirts on 03/09/2012 10:25:24 MST Print View

I have a Montane Marathon and they are made for runners to go over a thin t-shirt. I love mine but there is no way I could get a down jacket on under it. I have come to appreciate the trim cut of it and will often layer over it. I don't think sizing up you would get much more under it than your older version. I use a rain shell to wear over top of other layers not a windshirt.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Litespeed vs Stoic Wraith on 03/09/2012 10:50:57 MST Print View

I have an older Litespeed that is my go to. I like the long length and elastic bottom (and it covers my whole bottom and stays there) plenty of room to layer (don't know about the 2012 edition), its an XL though I normally wear L in mens clothing.

I purchased a Wraith on the sale for a training windshirt (didn't want to wear out the litespeed) I first got the large but it was way too tight with a R1 on so I shipped it back for a XL. The XL is still really tight but wearable. It binds on my EB down shirt where as the litespeed has ample room.

Hope this helps.

edited to add- the pit seems on the Wraith are super tight when layering w/EB down shirt

Edited by bestbuilder on 03/09/2012 11:16:21 MST.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Windshirt suggestions? on 03/09/2012 12:45:30 MST Print View

I was just browsing Arcteryx's windshirt, and noticed they added Patagonia like colors: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Squamish-Hoody#Light-Athletic

Gecko Green and Clementine anyone?

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 03/09/2012 12:46:02 MST.

Rob Jones
(robj)

Locale: Washington, D.C.
Re: Re: Windshirt suggestions? on 03/29/2012 12:14:09 MDT Print View

Dave - any idea when we may see the SOTMR hit? :-)

I'm convinced now that I need a windshirt and have been doing my research. Close to pulling the plug on the Rab Cirrus. Have good luck with a few of their jackets, plus it's almost $40 cheaper than the Houdini.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Wraith on 03/29/2012 12:58:32 MDT Print View

I have a Wraith. I love it, and it was really cheap. I got it on steepandcheep for less than 30 bucks.

The full zipper is nice and it's light as a feather. I've been wearing it for about 6 months. I bring it on every run, day hike, overnighter.

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
Houndini's for $87.50 on 03/29/2012 13:25:13 MDT Print View

I was in the Patagonia outlet store in Salt Lake City the other day and they had Houdini's in a few sizes on the rack at $87.50.

Just FYI in case anyone is interested...

- Dave

Matt Allen
(zeroforhire) - MLife
Rab on 03/29/2012 13:55:54 MDT Print View

I have the rab cirrus. I have also owned the houdini and the arcteryx squamish... I like the Rab jacket best. Two generous sized hand pockets are worth the weight penalty to me.

I also feel like the Rab jackets fits me better. I have always found the houdini to be a little boxy.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Windshirt suggestions? on 03/29/2012 14:16:48 MDT Print View

I also have the Rab Cirrus and also like the fit and pockets. I haven't had a chance to really put it much use as I just got it this past winter. I don't know if you ever saw Hendrik's review with some good pics:

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2011/09/rab-cirrus-wind-top.html

Also, Prolite.com has them on sale for $87.98 right now.

Rob Jones
(robj)

Locale: Washington, D.C.
Re: Windshirt suggestions? on 03/29/2012 14:48:03 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info.. I did catch that video and review.

Also saw the Prolite deal. Just need to figure out what color :-)

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Brooks windshirt on 03/29/2012 15:53:52 MDT Print View

Anyone have experience with Brooks brand windshirts?

http://www.brooksrunning.com/LSD-Lite-Jacket-II/210265325.035,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=mens-apparel-outerwear

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Locale: San Francisco bay area
Re: Re: Re: Windshirt suggestions? on 03/29/2012 18:08:29 MDT Print View

My Montane Litespeed size medium 2010 fits without squishing the down over my Patagonia Sweater medium jacket. It is a noticeable increase in insulation, I'd say equivalent of about 1 to 2 oz more down from a 6oz Litespeed (so its not the reason to have a Litespeed). The obvious downside is the down jacket's pockets are blocked, but if I unzip Litespeed can trade cold hands for a bit less insulation in the front.

These two items are complementary at certain temps as if its dry (litespeed not waterproof, down not waterproof) around 40F, my active need fits the Litespeed and my inactive suits down+litespeed.

I did try my Litespeed over my Montbell Alpine Light Parka. That has more down and it is squished by the Litespeed, BUT it still managed to feel a bit warmer as that Montbell model has large baffles.

I also have (difficult to get in USA) a Paramo Fuera Peak much baggier windproof, it squished the Montbell less and added noticeable heat and that is now my preferred cold-dry combination as the Fuera is a very tough outer fabric.

Montane sizing, I'd say their Litespeed is baggier, their Slipstream is tight as is their Krypton. I'd not say Litespeed is slim, unless they slimmed in in the last 2 years?

If you WANT BAGGY then Paramo Fuera....

Edited by nigelhealy on 03/29/2012 18:10:50 MDT.

Andrew Rosevear
(karmakid)
Wraith Breathability on 07/12/2012 09:34:10 MDT Print View

How does the stoic wraiths breathability compare to the Houdini (which seems to be the gold standard around here)? Does anybody know from experience?

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Wraith Breathability on 07/12/2012 12:32:20 MDT Print View

Breathability was the same:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65418

Edited by lindahlb on 07/12/2012 12:32:59 MDT.

Andrew Rosevear
(karmakid)
Re: Re: Wraith Breathability on 07/13/2012 20:24:04 MDT Print View

Thanks!

Yes 1000
(mamamia)
EB Wind jacket on 07/13/2012 22:22:09 MDT Print View

got one on sale for ~$30, it is very nice and I like it.