Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 14:56:00 MST Print View

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/Insane-in-the-Membrane.html?page=1

For shady business practices and stifling inovation? I don't own any GoreTex products anymore, purely by happenstance, they've always worked well, but this is pretty bogus. The backpacking gear world has so many awesome manufacturers, from big to cottage, we don't need to give these slimeballs our dollars. Not that it'll amount to much, but we can speak with our dollars.

Edited by tekhna on 03/07/2012 14:56:47 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:01:29 MST Print View

I stopped using Gortex and switched to Event a few years ago for everything except boots.

Did try Eevnt boots once (Kayland) and they didnt work out.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:32:22 MST Print View

I think that has been in place for many years by many BPL members. They don't use the product.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:35:37 MST Print View

The only thing I use Gore in is socks for winter hiking.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:36:23 MST Print View

To think...all that madness and manipulation over a product I'm not convinced even works.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:43:18 MST Print View

"I think that has been in place for many years by many BPL members. They don't use the product."

Perhaps some, but not all. I have a number of Gore and Gore-like items in my collection. Gore isn't perfect, but it is better than anything else that I've used.

--B.G.--

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 15:57:35 MST Print View

@Craig: And this is why Gore needs to maintain their stranglehold over the industry. :)

Patagonia recently moved to GoreTex.

I have heard Arc'Teryx has wanted to move away from Gore, or at least expand, but were explicitly told they would lose all Gore affiliation by doing so. I suspect they've kept their ties because they can't afford to give up their military contracts.

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
Gore-tex article on 03/07/2012 19:26:59 MST Print View

Thanks Ben! That was a really enlightening article.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 20:15:36 MST Print View

Reminds me of what I thought I knew about Gore: inferior products (as compared to eVent), shady business practice (marketing hype, monopolistic behavior).

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re on 03/07/2012 20:18:46 MST Print View

"Gore isn't perfect, but it is better than anything else that I've used."

I've read feedback like that in all different places -- so not picking on Bob (or anyone else) in particular. But I have yet to read one that says "better than anything else I've used... including eVent".

Edited by ben2world on 03/07/2012 20:25:37 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 20:31:06 MST Print View

"shady business practice"

If Gore's business practices become illegal, then the feds will close them down. If they are not illegal, then that might be an example of modern marketing and is likely to continue.

What is shady to one person might be breathtaking to another person.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/07/2012 21:21:06 MST Print View

Since we are talking about wp/b, I am much more interested in gear breathability -- then 'breathtaking' business practices. My focus is much more on the sheer absence of reviews praising the breathability of Goretex over eVent.

I also don't see legality as a good determinant of moral practice. Indeed, our laws are there mostly to punish the most egregious of shady practices. Just to be legal -- by itself -- is a pretty low hurdle.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/08/2012 00:52:01 MST Print View

"shady business practice"

Funny we should blame Gore. Most of the advertising for Gore-Tex is in reality done by the gear manufacturers and retailers. And the concerns folks have about the true WPB issues of GoreTex have been around since 1977. None of this is new news. Don't the gear manufacturers and retailers test their products? Of course they do... they advertise so. I blame the last two groups more than Gore... they perpetuated, enabled and allowed Gore to become what it is... of course the buying public had a hand in it too.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/08/2012 01:57:28 MST Print View

Hmm, Nick. But isn't the question here about Gore's practice of cutting off businesses' license and access to their products, thereby damaging, and possibly even putting out of business, their licensees? Whether or not the other companies helped to promote Gore is not the question, is it? It's the threatening that is suspect. If Gore wants to have exclusive dibs on their products shouldn't they be making their own clothing?

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
makers of eVent do the same thing on 03/08/2012 07:28:36 MST Print View

The Gore policies are no different in my experience than eVent makers policies. The
folks that make eVent limit who can use their products.

Also a friend at Patagonia told me long ago that eVent didn't prove durable enough their
use.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/08/2012 07:38:11 MST Print View

I think it should be illegal to threaten your customers with not selling them your product if they also buy your competitor's.

We have a long history of doing this - like with oil and steel - and Microsoft. Occasionally companies have had anti-trust regulations imposed on them. We've stopped doing it the last 40 years or so, which is part of why we're in such a mess now.

I have both Gore-Tex and eVent and they're about equal - eVent a little better DWR - according to that article Gore-Tex is more durable

I think WPB is much better than the alternatives, but not magic. They'll keep your dry in light rain if you don't wear too much, and if they get wet in heavy rain or if you wear too much and sweat, they'll dry out fairly quickly.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/08/2012 07:58:08 MST Print View

I think it should be illegal to threaten your customers with not selling them your product if they also buy your competitor's.

That's why Gore is being investigated both in the EU and in the States. It's part of what the article is all about. Possible anti-trust violations.

Edited by butuki on 03/08/2012 07:59:27 MST.

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Own Brand Fabrics on 03/08/2012 08:08:32 MST Print View

What is vaguely interesting is that some companies do happily make full spec 'own brand' 3 layer waterproofs while using Gore. Norrona and Haglofs for instance. Since they're typically also rather cheaper, unsure why anyone would get the Gore ones actually.
(there's certainly a very obvious, rather silly premium for proshell stuff.).

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Boycott GoreTex on 03/08/2012 08:20:03 MST Print View

"If Gore's business practices become illegal, then the feds will close them down." "Gore is being investigated in the US & EU."

Wow, the degree of naivete exhibited in some of these comments is astounding! For the last 5-7 years, "too big to fail" has become enshrined as national policy. It's why clear-cut felony charges are either not pursued, or rolled-over to wrist-slap civil penalties. (If even that.)

The way to invest is to first determine which company/organization is TBTF in its respective industry segment. By far and away, the two most important industries in the US are banking & military. So let's go through the analysis:

Gore-Tex is the shiznick for cold/wet US military applications. Therefore, Gore-Tex will never be prosecuted, and in fact, laws will be ignored and/or amended to facilitate such a prime supplier continuing to deliver what are considered essential goods required by the MIC.

End.Of.Story.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Can we organize a boycott of GoreTex? on 03/08/2012 08:20:38 MST Print View

" think it should be illegal to threaten your customers with not selling them your product if they also buy your competitor's.

That's why Gore is being investigated both in the EU and in the States. It's part of what the article is all about. Possible anti-trust violations."

The anti-trust laws still exist, but we've mostly quit enforcing them the last 40 years.

It's like a fad or hysteria that we believe "the free market" solves all problems.

Hopefully this hysteria will "break" at some point.

Like when Edward R. Murrow exposed McCarthyism and suddenly the commie witch hunt dissappeared.